🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Hot - Slunch

Mystery Science Theater 3000

Ok. I HAVE to see this film now! I never knew about this....

Learn something new everyday!

So it appears that the rejected movie is Child Bride.

DckLdIE.jpg

• Like 1

somehow ive heard of child bride but not in the mst3k context. i think it is one of those things i found out about while reading about leni riefenstahl on wikipedia, which led me to read about birth of a nation on wikipedia, which led to a link on "child bride" i had never heard about and im glad mst3k never even tried on that one because well it would have been like doing birth of a nation or a leni riefenstahl film

I just found out Cinematic Titanic is retiring from their live tours, so basically if you want to see them you better see them this year. They'll still do DVD/VOD releases but no more live shows. :(

I just found out Cinematic Titanic is retiring from their live tours, so basically if you want to see them you better see them this year. They'll still do DVD/VOD releases but no more live shows. :(

Yeah, I'm super bummed because they're not coming to the Pacific NW this time. I don't think I can swing a trip to San Fran just for that; I'd have to line up some other stuff. But anyone in the LA or Bay Area -- they're doing two shows on October 19th, GO GO GO! It's so worth it, if you're an MST3K fan. No joke, it was better than my first kiss with Zack Morris.

Hence me buying tickets, and driving 3 hours for it. I got great seats too, dead center, like 8 rows from the stage.

Yeah, I'm super bummed because they're not coming to the Pacific NW this time. I don't think I can swing a trip to San Fran just for that; I'd have to line up some other stuff. But anyone in the LA or Bay Area -- they're doing two shows on October 19th, GO GO GO! It's so worth it, if you're an MST3K fan. No joke, it was better than my first kiss with Zack Morris.

Yeah, I'm in AZ but LA is not too far (5 hours drive) so I'm trying to make it happen. Fingers crossed.

Hence me buying tickets, and driving 3 hours for it. I got great seats too, dead center, like 8 rows from the stage.

Ahh, I just re-read your earlier comment and I totally missed that you mentioned this already. That's what I get for not reading carefully.

Have a blast, duder. Show up early for the meet & greet -- I think they do it for every show. All of them are very genial and fine with photographs and a quick word, provided you're not crazy. Frank Conniff in particular is a delight, and be sure to say hello to Mary Jo.

Eeeegah! has always been a favorite of mine. Always been more of a Mike fan, but Joel kills it in this episode. And you can't go wrong with Soul Taker.

Eeeegah! has always been a favorite of mine. Always been more of a Mike fan, but Joel kills it in this episode. And you can't go wrong with Soul Taker.

Watch out for snakes!

• Like 1

Oh man, Soul Taker. Good old Joe Estevez never lets you down. Wuhrwilf is another classic ep.

Have a blast, duder. Show up early for the meet & greet -- I think they do it for every show. All of them are very genial and fine with photographs and a quick word, provided you're not crazy. Frank Conniff in particular is a delight, and be sure to say hello to Mary Jo.

Yeah I'm pretty psyched for it. I wanted to go last time they came up to New England, but I think school got in the way or something. Just got the ticket situation fixed, and they're in my possession.

I'm definitely going to go for a handshake if I can. The show I'm going to is actual a double feature, one riff at 7, then a different movie at 9:30.

Oh man, Soul Taker. Good old Joe Estevez never lets you down. Wuhrwilf is another classic ep.

And that one has Robert Z'Dar in it as well! That whole season is pretty incredible -- Puma Man, Final Sacrifice, Hobgoblins, Gorgo (with special guest Leonard Maltin), etc. Good stuff.

I love MST3k! I discovered it in high school (it was running on the Sci-Fi channel) when some friends introduced me to it.

Favorite episodes (in no particular order):

Robot Holocaust

Angels Revenge

Hobgoblins

Werewolf

Puma Man

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

Prince of Space

Diabolik

Parts: The Clonus Horror

The Final Sacrifice (Rowsdower!)

Best host segments (again, in no particular order):

A Joke by Ingmar Bergman (from "The Sword and the Dragon")

Waiting for Gorgo (from "Gorgo")

The Canada Song (from "The Final Sacrifice")

Idiot Control Now (from "Pod People")

Where O Werewolf (from "Werewolf")

Servo Gets Roji Panty Complex (from "Invasion of the Neptune Men")

Kawatamundi Man (from "Puma Man")

Auditions (from "Horrors of Spider Island")

Scamming a Coffin (from "The Screaming Skull")

My Creepy Girl (from "Catalina Caper")

How did I miss this thread?

Love MST3k and RiffTrax. I've been to all the RiffTrax Live events except one; I always go with my brother (because I can't drive myself there), and he didn't want to go to "Reefer Madness." Which meant that I missed the glorious debut of the "At Your Fingertips" series. (I still haven't seen the show. Dang money!)

And I'm kicking myself for missing out on Cinematic Titanic when they came to my freaking city and I didn't go.

The live Cinematic Titanics are the best ones, I never really liked their other ones (the only real exception being Legacy of Blood which was a good non-live one.) The other ones just felt kinda sedated, and had too many visual gags that didn't work and seemed forced.

Since its Halloween time, and HDTGM are tackling it, theres a real good iriff group which took on Halloween 3 - http://hor-riff-ic.com/2013/04/24/halloween-iii/ (they also did Sleepaway Camp.) Thanks to them I've seen that movie at least 20 times, and have heard that jingle way more times than is recommended by the FDA.

The shows on Friday were genuinely amazing. They did The Wasp Woman for the first show and Doll Squad for the second.

A big surprise was that a massively beared Dave 'Gruber' Allen was with them, since J. Elvis was sick.

- Gruber came out on stage, did a lip sync/dance to a sappy song followed by a sort of free form poem.

- Mary Jo Pehl came out and read a really forced and stiff intro for Frank Conniff.

- Frank did about 10 minutes of stand up (highlight was a joke about Twinkies).

- Joel came out and spoke for a minute.

- They riffed.

During intermission they signed things for a large chunk of the crowd.

- Gruber came out on stage again and did another lip sync/dance, but this time to 'Lucky' by Britney Spears.

- Then Gruber had Trace and Mary Jo come out and read a selection of Henrik Ibsen's "A Doll's House" while he riffed it.

- They showed a 5-8 minute short Trace made about raising Frank from the dead (Frankenstein).

- Frank did another 10 minutes of stand up.

- They riffed the movie.

They signed more stuff afterward. I got a handshake and autograph from them all. It was the first time I've ever met a celebrity, so I was a bit starstruck that these people were there. I told Gruber that I had just watched his episode of Drew Carey Show a few months ago and he lit up. I should've mentioned Naked Trucker, but I spaced. They were all super willing to sign things or take a picture with people, but I'm pretty sure they were tired as hell at that time. I think they traveled that day, did 2 shows, and 2 signings.

I can't really explain it but I got a bit choked up when Joel got on stage the first time. A weird culmination of having been a fan since I was a kid, never expecting to see these people perform live, and seeing their years of work put them in this place where hundreds of people were thrilled to see them, there were older people, parents who brought kids, etc.

When they riffed there were a couple of callbacks to MST3K, a 'HI-KEEBA' and a bunch of 'SLEEP!' transitions. There was also a reference to Maron's WTF podcast at one point. The second show felt a little dirtier, a little looser, and like they were having a lot of fun.

All in all, great night. Well worth the price and the few hours in the car.

• Like 2

I can't really explain it but I got a bit choked up when Joel got on stage the first time. A weird culmination of having been a fan since I was a kid, never expecting to see these people perform live, and seeing their years of work put them in this place where hundreds of people were thrilled to see them, there were older people, parents who brought kids, etc.

I know your feels, duder. I totally understand. I am really happy for you and that you got to have that experience; it's a special thing that they do this publically -- when they don't need to at all -- to give fans that gift of personal connection. I don't want to bring up the whole Mike/Joel debate, but it is interesting to see the paths the various MST3K alumni have taken. Mike and his two robot rollcall buds do their Rifftrax in a place where you can't touch them; Joel and the OG crew are doing/did their thing where they're accepting of the fandom. I'm just glad that all parties involved back in the day made such a wonderful thing that contributed so much to pop culture, and its effects will be felt for a long time. We're a better species for having produced the MST3K episode of Mitchell.

• Like 3

We're a better species for having produced the MST3K episode of Mitchell.

Truth. The amount of joy I got from any and all iterations of MST3K as a child was unparalleled. It improved my life, for serious. Even if I had no idea what they were talking about half the time. Watching a Joel episode as a 12 year old without instant Internet access? That equals lots of missed references, but I still loved it.

• Like 1

I don't want to bring up the whole Mike/Joel debate, but it is interesting to see the paths the various MST3K alumni have taken. Mike and his two robot rollcall buds do their Rifftrax in a place where you can't touch them; Joel and the OG crew are doing/did their thing where they're accepting of the fandom.

Awww, I don't think that's an entirely fair assessment. Mike, Bill & Kevin do live stuff all the time. Even before that, they let fans make their own Rifftrax that those fans could even make money off of. And I've never seen them behave in any way other than gracious when approached by fans. Bill is especially approachable in social media, either through his Twitter or Tumblr.

• Like 2

I'm throwing in a vote for my top 5 (in no particular order!)-

Giant Spider Invasion

Boggy Creek II And the Legend Continues

Cave Dwellers

Soul Taker

Time Chasers

All 5 are completely ridiculous and I can't get enough!!!

I started watching it when it was on the SciFi channel so all of my favs are with Mike and the bots (Bill Corbett as Crow) Probably my favorite show of all time

Favorite episodes:

Soultaker

Space Mutiny

Werewolf

Final Sacrifice

and basically anything with Joe Don Baker or Joe Estevez

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dHoLRnTxyhQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sign in to follow this