🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 71.5 — Minisode 71.5

Our next How Did This Get Made? choice was suggested by next week’s guest and he did not disappoint. It’s the odd comedy with a

starring Robin Williams known simply as Toys and it’s streaming on Netflix! Paul also reads some Corrections & Omissions for The Glimmer Man including a correction from an actual coroner, answers your beard questions, and announces the winners of last week’s Movie Title Game. Make sure to go to www.getfxx.com for info on where to see the new season of The League, look out for Ass Backwards coming to a theater near you & VOD, catch Season 3 of NTSF:SD:SUV:: Thursdays at midnight on Adult Swim, and use your face to watch Hell Baby right now on Amazon!

This will be a good one, huzzah! Happy for LL Cool J to make his first HDTGM appearance. I saw Toys in the theater as a young 'un with my Moms and was totally confused after a while; it's not a kids movie. Who is next week's guest? Is it Ladies Love Cool James himself? I haven't listened to this yet since it's too late in the night, but... I'm excited!

HOLY FUCK THEY ARE FINALLY DOING TOYS!

Even watching it now over 20 years later this movie is still like an acid trip. Can't wait to see who the guest was who suggested this.

Oh man, what a brilliant movie to tackle! I actually sort of liked Toys, but it's more of a contrarian kind of thing than anything else. I remember seeing ads for this as a kid, and being kinda weirded out. Never seen a movie with such... Spike Jonze-esque shot composition before. It just seemed like a really pretty, artsy movie - at least in places - but actually tying together this stuff was a really bizarre plot, a lot of players to keep track of and maybe some pseudo-profound/heavy-handed message about... something? I guess I wasn't entertained so much as I just liked the look of the movie, I have no doubt that this was just a complete mess otherwise. Which means, it should be perfect for this show! :D

Haven't seen it since I was, like, a 5-year old. Definitely going to be checking it out again if it's on Netflix. CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT WEEK!

...I saw Toys in the theater as a young 'un with my Moms and was totally confused after a while; it's not a kids movie.

Yeah, great point. This is probably the first time in my life where I realized that there's a difference between a kid's movie and a movie about kids (or kids' stuff)

Toys is insufferable. I'm not looking forward to watching it again, but I will endeavor forward.

I'm going to add "Being on Corrections & Omissions" to my résumé now

I've never heard of toys, and I've only heard the trailer in this mini episode and even that seems kind of off. This should be an interesting next episode.

I'm going to add "Being on Corrections & Omissions" to my résumé now

You and Lando! Have a bourbon/ginger on me.

Looking at IMDB and The Oracle Of Bacon, I think there's a 50% chance of LL Cool J being on the show. Paul did say it was a "he", so there's that. Also Cool J acts in a show called NCIS (which I assume is a procedural crime drama) so maybe there's a love connection with NTSF:SD:SUV:: there? Dunno.

Looking at IMDB and The Oracle Of Bacon, I think there's a 50% chance of LL Cool J being on the show. Paul did say it was a "he", so there's that. Also Cool J acts in a show called NCIS (which I assume is a procedural crime drama) so maybe there's a love connection with NTSF:SD:SUV:: there? Dunno.

Yes, NCIS and NTSF are pretty much the same thing. Except, NTSF is brilliant, satirical and a piece of true comedy; and NCIS is nothing of that nature.

I remember not only seeing Toys in the theatre; butr, I remember seeing that preview of Robin Williams in the field. I was like, "what the fuck is Mork from Ork doing in this field?" So, of course, I had to see the movie. I don't remember much of the film itself, but I do remember I never wanted to watch it again. So, there's that...

I will go on the record and say I love this movie, but it's absolutely head-to-toe bonkers. It really is more of an art project than a movie.

I've never heard of toys

You must have had a rough childhood.

I saw this on HBO or something around when it came out and remember not liking it, but I'll gladly give it another chance on Netflix.

• Like 1

You must have had a rough childhood.

Oh don't even get me started on the long list of great films I never saw as a child/teen (not by force or choice, just never saw them). This includes, but not limited to: Jurassic Park movies, Back To The Future movies, Top Gun, The Godfather movies, Shawshank, Jaws, Forest Gump, etc.

Oh don't even get me started on the long list of great films I never saw as a child/teen (not by force or choice, just never saw them). This includes, but not limited to: Jurassic Park movies, Back To The Future movies, Top Gun, The Godfather movies, Shawshank, Jaws, Forest Gump, etc.

I think you missed the joke. ;)

• Like 3

Wow. I just experienced "Toys" for the first time. I'm Traumatized! Checking IMDB, I think the only reason audiences forgave Robin Williams is because this flop was sandwiched between two very popular films, "Aladdin" and "Mrs. Doubtfire."

I watched Toys way back when it was on the FYI poll (it got 393 votes by the way) and I'm super excited about this one.

Dumbledore is the father of Ladies Love Cool James! These are the things dreams are made of.

• Like 2

Har Mar Superstar has GOT to be the guest.

He's been reading LL Cool J's biography on Nocturnal Emotions lately, and it's been aaaaaaaaaaamazing.

The last bit he read Toys was mentioned and I remember thinking, in an already insane reading of an insane book, "this shit sounds insane."

Cool James thought the movie was great apparently.

I have to say that I actually liked this movie a lot when I saw it when I was younger. I watched it a bunch of times, being that it was on HBO constantly and I loved it. I knew it was strange and artsy even as a kid, but I never found it difficult to understand. Looking forward to seeing how you guys break this one down.

Sign in to follow this