🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 99 — LIVE from Bumbershoot Pt. 1

Be cool, don’t be that guy, and instead listen as Tim Meadows, Horatio Sanz, and Brian Huskey join Matt Besser for part one of a very special improv4humans recorded LIVE from Bumbershoot! Prepare yourself to hear what happens when Elvis Presley hosts a movie night, people get instantly offended by history, and Brian takes the bus for the first time. Attention humans, please go to the Earwolf forums to let us know which scenes should be in our next Best of improv4humans episode! You can now get the UCB Comedy Improv Manual at http://ucbstore.com/books/the-upright-citizens-brigade-comedy-improvisation-manual, Matt Besser’s new comedy album at mattbesser.com, and Dragoon’s new album at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com!

"If it gets too fast, my vagina falls out!"

This needs to be on a t shirt or something.

That was insane how clear the audio was during that dispute. Guy definitely went a step over with the faggot stuff. I thought Horatio went low there with the Jonestown, but it was still really funny, and how are you seriously going to be instantly shut off by a reference to a non-American tragedy thirtysomething years ago and then try to bum out everyone else? I realize subjects alter people's sensitivity differently (or not at all), but you're grasping for straws if your seriously going to turn into "that guy" over one out of a lot of inappropriate references at a fucking improv show. Kudos to Besser and Huskey for trying to end it as quickly as they could before the guy decided to drop "faggot", in which Huskey also made the point of you're going to be offended by one thing brought up, but then drop a trigger word like faggot? What a fucking asshole, it sounded like.

Huskey ruled in this episode. Horatio was probably the MVP though, given he was the go-to for most of the celebrity impressions.

• Like 3

Not only was this one of the straight up funniest I4Hs ever, the toolbag in the audience getting ejected by Besser was an instant classic as well. That was worth a donation by itself.

Thank you Matt, for continuing to fight the good fight.

• Like 4

I love the line up of Meadows, Sanz, and Huskey. Consistently some of the funniest performers on this show.

Also, Jonestown was less than 40 years ago. It was 35 years this November. I know this because I was born on the day/year it happened, so there are always retrospectives on my birthday. Don't know why anyone would get upset about it at a comedy show though.

What a great show! Much laughing out loud, and some cringing too. I've really been digging the live recordings. The audience element adds a lot to my experience as a distant listener: the sense of community really comes across--performers and audience feeding each other. Really great.

There were a few spots where I cringed, like the sketch with "Yo-Yo Ma." I couldn't believe how little the performers seemed to know about Yo-Yo, one of America's finest musicians. But they were in it, Horatio worked with the truth of his experience, and it was funny.

Hello everyone!

I'm the guy that was sitting next to the gentleman who shouted at me to "shut the fuck up" and then called me a "faggot" before getting boo'd out of the theater.

I just want to explain to the listeners what happened here. I was sitting in the front row next to the insane/homophobic guy and his wife, it was pretty clear they didn't know what the show was about or what to expect. So after Horatio made the Jonestown joke the guy sitting next to me made a very audible "That's sick!" followed with a few words under his breath like "This isn't funny."

It's fine that he didn't enjoy the show, but how he proceeded with it is what started bothering me. Leading up to the "I told you to shut the fuck up!" he was talking loudly to his wife, discussing where they should go next, opening up his Bumbershoot schedule and loudly thumbing through it, also keep in mind we're in the front row. Basically this guy decided to drop all common courtesy and reverted to an annoying asshole because he got offended, instead of just leaving like a normal person does.

So I politely asked them to be quiet a few times and eventually suggested they should "leave if they're not enjoying it" because they were being rude. I'll admit I did poke at the situation a little by telling him he was being rude, but I didn't expect that kind of reaction!

But two hilarious scenes came out of it and it was a great time!

• Like 10

"Nothin' like four dudes talkin' about vaginas."

GREAT episode for all the intended and unintended reasons.

So I politely asked them to be quiet a few times and eventually suggested they should "leave if they're not enjoying it" because they were being rude. I'll admit I did poke at the situation a little by telling him he was being rude, but I didn't expect that kind of reaction!

Good lookin' out for the Seattle crowd, Hunter.

Given the fact that it was also PAX Prime weekend, maybe he got lost on his way to an Xbox Live booth, where that sort of behavior is par for the course.

• Like 1

I literally did not think that guy was actually offended by the Jonestown joke until reading this thread. It happened a decade before I was born and I think the main reason I know what it is, is because people constantly joke about it. I'm so confused. :huh:

The episode was 100% gold. I think my favorite part was the audience's polite golf clap when "Yo-Yo Ma" was introduced. Great improv Bumbershoot crowd!

• Like 1

Holy hell I think this might be the best episode in terms of rapid fire comedy gold. Everyone was firing on all cylinders and nothing got thrown away/missed. When Matt picked up on the pause between Tim's 5 and 2 and said "thanks for the extra two" I literally laughed so hard I cried.

• Like 1

Something I really enjoyed about this episode is that Besser felt like another guest getting to improv. A lot of times I feel like he has to hold back to direct/move scenes along. But they all clicked so well that this wasn't necessary and he was just another one of the guys. Or maybe the crowd got him juiced. Either way, I feel like he got to strut his stuff a little and as someone new to improv/ucb that was cool to hear.

The episode was 100% gold. I think my favorite part was the audience's polite golf clap when "Yo-Yo Ma" was introduced. Great improv Bumbershoot crowd!

Mine too! Really added to the already greatness of the Yo-Yo Ma scenario.

I wish someone could get that angry guy to call in! I was impressed how it was handled so swiftly, and then great comedy followed. I would not pay to see this Yo-Yo-Ma, but it was my favorite scene.

Just to fuck with people I sometimes mention that my parents were survivors of Jamestown. John Smith made them drink grape kool-aid. They're also nearly 360 years old.

• Like 1

I worked the comedy booth at Bumbershoot, and we got a lot of people through the line that clearly didn't care about comedy or have any idea what they wanted to see (and thus held up the line as they asked the clueless volunteers "who's funny?"). I think they were just waiting in the line because it seemed like they should. I honestly don't know what those types expect from a festival, but I'm guessing the super homophobic asshole was one of them.

Anyway, I was curious if that stuff would make it to the recording and I'm glad it did because despite the guy being an asshole, it generated some funny stuff. This was the only i4h show I could make and it was my favorite of what I saw at the festival. Huskey dominated.

• Like 3

Looking at the Bumbershoot schedule, there were three i4h performances, and in the descriptions for each show the guests listed are Huskey, Sanz and Meadows. If this is truly the line up for all three shows, and all three shows will be dropped as podcasts, I don't know how the hell I'm going to be alive by the end. This episode was so much fun it nearly killed me.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this