🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 72 — Toys

That second opinions segment might be the best one ever. Holy shit, that was amazing. And way to fill in for June, Paul!

• Like 1

Man, I have to see this movie. Just them describing it was so confusing that I mixed up characters/relationships.

But I still stand by the life-size, life-like robot statement though. Joan Cusack is fuckable, in human or robot form.

Here's a question about SandwichBot

Was that necessary?

Like thinking back on the movie, there was no real reason for her to be a robot. Had we left out her head getting blown off, the movie would have stood perfect well with a character who's just kind of off and still very child like. It'd be weird, but it would have fit with the rest of this garbage heap of a movie.

It's just so crazy to me how many weird non-plot-critical things were shot, put in the movie, and got approval from people higher up.

No, but that definitely would have been SO UPSETTING were it the case.

I'm going to add the Wikipedia page for this movie that it was a subplot that was cut out due to negative reactions at test screenings.

• Like 4

I am glad that y'all got into some of the thematic inconsistencies in the movie. There are some super interesting concepts in this movie, like the corruption of innocence/children, the dehumanizing effects of drone warfare, etc. but it's all very muddled and confusing in execution. I think that big fight at the end really sends mixed messages, because Robin Williams is basically militarizing the peaceful toys, which you'd think he would be against.

I actively dislike Tori Amos, but I kind of dug her weirdo song, even though it's probably just propaganda put out by the toy-making politburo.

• Like 1

I think that big fight at the end really sends mixed messages, because Robin Williams is basically militarizing the peaceful toys, which you'd think he would be against.

That scene also does a lot in the crushing of child like innocence that was supposed to the good in this movie. At one point there's a toy (a bear maybe?) that gets its head blown up by a missile and another toy comes up to it and (hugs?) it. In that moment I actually felt grief for the death of a wind up toy, this movie did some weird things.

• Like 2

2349684.jpg

Didn't you predict this exact line in the minisode thread?

Haven't listened yet, I gotta say that this is not a guest I expected. Dreams = crushed.

Everyone who didn't watch this movie, you should still check it out -- at least the first 30 minutes or so, just to appreciate the visual style.

Kind of upset June couldn't be there for this one, this seems like the perfect movie for her and her brand of insight.

I cannot put into words how bummed I am that June couldn't do this one. This was custom-made for a classic JDR character breakdown. Not that I don't love my bros, but the Holy HDTGM Comedy Trinity is not complete without JDR.

Yes. There's no emoticon for my bummerpants. I was very much looking forward to June's insight on this one.

I wish they would have touched on the ending of this weird movie because it's just head-scratching weird and huh? and REALLY? You would end the movie LIKE THIS?!? :blink:

I can just imagine how Jason would've reacted--he would've just exploded!

Anyway...another great show guys, kudos :P

Didn't you predict this exact line in the minisode thread?

Yes. There's no emoticon for my bummerpants. I was very much looking forward to June's insight on this one.

I think it was Sean who predicted that, but yeah I knew it was coming. The people in this film are all insane and I think the point about "where is reality in this movie" is what really struck me. I feel like I get this movie but It's just not good. I don't know...

June would have been awesome for this episode, I agree with everyone.

I thought Drew was a super fun guest in that he clearly came to discuss 'how did this get made' and was delightfully taken aback by Jason's yelling. There aren't people laughing at Jason often enough.

• Like 3

I thought Drew was a super fun guest in that he clearly came to discuss 'how did this get made' and was delightfully taken aback by Jason's yelling. There aren't people laughing at Jason often enough.

Yeah, I'm halfway through and am enjoying Drew's amusement. It's kinda like the Comedy Bean Bag a couple of weeks ago with Bamford and Tom Leykis; she hardly got anything in at all but her laughter was so contagious and totally worth it.

It is very interesting when the guests come from a critical background rather than comedy. It's nice to get more background on the films -- like the fact that this screenplay wasn't a fever dream and took ten(!) years to write.

I do wonder how many parents got pissed off when they took their kids to this. I imagine my mom was probably uncomfortable during the sex scene.

• Like 1

Having bought this DVD for 4 bucks since I love guilty pleasure movies, I can attest to the fact that nearly every trailer/TV spot for this movie was what Paul was talking about. They're all about 30 seconds long and feature almost ZERO footage from the movie. The first trailer is basically a student art film where you see Robin WIlliams walking in the hilly hallway wearing the smoking jacket and then then pulling the lever for the rolling stairs, it then cuts to Gambon saying Toys and then shows the title, that's it. Everything else after that is Williams standing in the field just doing his comedy bits where he does different voices and says Toys. There are 5 or 6 of these fucking things on the DVD followed by a TV spot that is slightly longer and shows a bit more of what's actually in the movie.

Pet projects almost never work because the person whose pet it is is given almost complete control over the final product and are too in the woods to see that it sucks. Battlefield Earth, After Earth, and so many others are given the green light solely for those who are involved in the film rather than the substance, and they suffer because of it.

My brother loves this movie and I've been giving him shit for it since it first came out. I can't tell you how much this episode means to me. Every once in awhile I'll rub it in his face with a little "HOO..HA! HOO-HA!" marching song.

The movie was a very confusing experience as a kid, but the colorful landscape and rapid-fire adlibs from Robin Williams made it SEEM like it was entertaining at the time. I remember thinking the sound effects suit was a hoot! The devil puppet made me laugh. So did the fake vomit scene. With that said, I remember cringing at the Joan Cusack and Robin Wright Penn scene in the bathroom where they start singing. I was a kid, CRINGING in the theater at TOYS.

I liked a ton of crap as a kid, so it says a lot that I would actually have a guttural reaction to a movie. I could never stay in the room when that scene was on TV, it was just way too embarrassing. I wish you guys touched on that scene in the show, I'd love to hear Jason's comments on that. This episode was so great, I honestly could've listening to you break down every single scene for 3 hours, but I know it was painful enough as it is. The main thing is the three of you survived and I thank you! Drew was such a great guest too- cheers!

• Like 1

Pet projects almost never work because the person whose pet it is is given almost complete control over the final product and are too in the woods to see that it sucks.

Unless the person with final cut is David Lynch.

Jesus, that Tori Amos hip-hop song is fucking atrocious. And like Jason said, that would drive you insane! I worked at a Borders for about six months and their constant Jack Johnson nearly destroyed me; I can't even begin to think what Tori Amos would do.

• Like 2

I remember seeing this in the theater with my parents. Afterwards I was scolded for picking such a piece of shit.

Aside from what's been said on the podcast, the only question I have is why the Sea Swine (not monster) was even part of the film? I'm sure there's a 4 hour Sergio Leone directors cut somewhere where the Sea Swine was mentioned prior.. like a toy design somewhere in the general's office or something. That's the biggest WTF moment in the whole film, in a film that has a fuck ton of WTFs.

Also, we know Robin Wright's costumes were fucking nuts, but was she channeling to be the next Doctor (the 13th Doctor)?

• Like 2

My brother loves this movie and I've been giving him shit for it since it first came out. I can't tell you how much this episode means to me. Every once in awhile I'll rub it in his face with a little "HOO..HA! HOO-HA!" marching song.

That's the best part of the entire film! I loved that the composers used Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Welcome to the Pleasesuredome

Pet projects almost never work because the person whose pet it is is given almost complete control over the final product and are too in the woods to see that it sucks. Battlefield Earth, After Earth, and so many others are given the green light solely for those who are involved in the film rather than the substance, and they suffer because of it.

That and an adherence to a cult....er, I mean, religion.

Now touch window. And go back and touch the wall.

Unless the person with final cut is David Lynch.

Jesus, that Tori Amos hip-hop song is fucking atrocious. And like Jason said, that would drive you insane! I worked at a Borders for about six months and their constant Jack Johnson nearly destroyed me; I can't even begin to think what Tori Amos would do.

Colbie Callie(sp?) and Natasha Bedingfield fall into this category as well. I worked for a little bit at a American Eagle, and this was the shit that would make me angry.

• Like 1

Who had more chemistry, Lance Bass and Emmanuelle Chriqui in On The Line or Robin Williams and Robin Wright in this?

Who had more chemistry, Lance Bass and Emmanuelle Chriqui in On The Line or Robin Williams and Robin Wright in this?

Turkey sandwich all the way.

• Like 1

I'm going to go with Turd Sandwich

turd_sandwich.gif

Sign in to follow this