🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
ApathyMonger

CBB Live Tour Episodes

This is basically a signed PFT jersey, im getting it framed!

P1010887.jpg

• Like 5

I love how PFT seemingly fed up of the scatalogical WYR questions, just went as crass as he could on the 2nd NYC show. It's weird hearing him say those things.

• Like 1

is there any way to get the audio or lyrics to the bday boys "under the seats" song? they did it before the nyc early show (and i'm guessing before many if not all other shows, too), and it was awesome. thoughts?

I was a bit tired of PFT before this tour began. I just felt like he'd been on DLM and CBB constantly throughout this whole year.

However, his work on this tour has been amazing. He took even the frequently recurring characs like Cake Boss Buddy Velcro and Ice-T and did hilarious stuff with them, while also giving the new characs like the Ghost of Richard and Alan Thicke some more development. The Sean Cullen/CBC sketch may have been one of the funniest bits ever on CBB - podcast and live shows.

Somebody already mentioned the Ice-T foul-mouthed rant. It really HAS to be heard!

My hat's off to Mr. Tompkins. He was simply amazing on these shows.

• Like 2

The very idea of being sick of Paul F. fills me with rage, but it's true that he was great on this tour.

• Like 3

The very idea of being sick of Paul F. fills me with rage, but it's true that he was great on this tour.

Sorry I pissed you off. :)

It's just my opinion. I'm not trying to sway anyone.

Finally finished them all off, what a treat it was to hear so many crazy different shows, all hilarious of course. I was shocked when listening to the NYC late show and they read my rather crazy WYR scenario. So used to PFT avoiding swears that it really blew my mind and I couldn't stop laughing.

Was anyone from here at that show? Did Scott really just leave the stage for like 5 minutes?

I'd say my favorites were:

Chicago (the one I got to go to and was also longest / seemingly most physical show of the tour)

Pivening! Scott was also planking for a while at one point, but I didn't see any pictures of it.

https://twitter.com/...2954240/photo/1

https://twitter.com/...0836864/photo/1

LA (For Cake Boss's 7 Simple Rules For Dating His Teenage Daughter ) - "What are you, my kid? Not that I know of...that's a joke people do" - PFT as Cake Boss. Cake Boss and Dimello are just so great together.

Toronto - CBC scene was great and Cullen was my favorite guest of the tour. Here's a pic of PFTs outfit, which just seals this one as a classic.

http://instagram.com/p/fUDOmZxsX7/

NY2 - WYR was amazing and I'm glad to see the Belz and Ice-T have a new project in the works!

Did DC shows seem the worst to anyone else? The guys were great, but the audience had people constantly yelling stuff out and really derailed everything. Luckily we did get to hear Paul Giamatti's Tom Leykis impression.

I hope they do this kind of tour every year!

• Like 1

Anyone at the Toronto show remember the first joke Scott told in his two joke stand up bit. I remember the second one about the dogs in the UK but I cant remember the first other than the fact that I was dying from laughter.

In SF the first one was something like, "I was born in the 70's but didn't get circumcised until the 90's, you can tell because I got the Rachel cut."

• Like 2

Do I have to buy the NYC Paul Scheer Episode, Boston Episode One, and the D.C. Late Show episodes separately? I subscribed over the summer for the twelve episodes, but I wasn't emailed anything about these b-b-b-b-b-b-onus episode-s-s-s.

I really enjoyed listening to the tour. Nice work, Earwolf.

You're right, Syme. I had them the whole time, just had a little problem with my gmail. Thanks.

All of these shows were such listening joys. Everyone was firing on all cylinders, and the rotating guests interacting with Scott and PFT's characters did great jobs, as well as the character stints made by Mr. Horatio Sanz and Mr. James Adomian.

I also liked the ebb and flow of the shows' energy levels, both of Scott & Co's and the audiences'. Since Paul F. basically did two performances for each character, I enjoyed how the first appearances (in line with the first shows) were very high energy for the likes of the mainstays (Cake Boss, Garry Marshall, Ice-T, and John C. Reilly [and Werner Herzog, relatively, since he is very low energy by design]), and then when their second appearances came about, they were more low-energy, methodical, and relaxed, and in doing so covered completely new grounds of improvisational topics. (Btw, low-energy doesn't equate to being quieter, as Mr. Marshall and Cake Boss will attest)

Even Ice-T was more laid back in his second appearance. That is, until NYC Show 2's sexual WYR scenario was presented. Only then did Ice stir himself and the crowd into a much-appreciated, perfectly delivered, frenzied tirade of over-the-top, sexually explicit hilarity. Superbly funny in its own right, but made all the better with the knowledge that PFT usually works pretty clean, his characters will prickle at others using harsh language for comedic effect, and thus making his use of explicit language all the more powerful and funny when he decides to drop them upon an unsuspecting listenership. Perhaps what I love the most about PF-Ice-T's dissection of the WYR scenario is that it was a PERFECTLY in-character thing for PFT to do as Ice-T. Anyone who has ever seen and episode of Ice Loves Coco knows he has no issue being EXTREMELY CRASS and graphic in his descriptions of things (especially the episode where Ice does a stand-up set for charity or something [i do not watch the show as entertainment, I work for the company that distributes it]).

Meanwhile, Alan Thicke's first appearance (another low energy character) was as good as his CBB podcast appearance. But it wasn't until the final show in DC where it felt like PFT really got into the character, getting comfortable with what he enjoys doing and finds funny when embodying Thicke: being extremely affable and laid back to the point of mishearing everything being said so he can then apologize, fondly reminiscing about his charmed, rich, showbiz life of sitcoms and song-writing, speaking in a baritone and making frequent, deep-voiced, weird noises inserted into the conversations with fine-tuned comedic timing, and saying words in an insanely exaggerated-to-the-point-of-hilarity-vs-accuracy Canadian accent.

The WYR tangent about 80s toys and cartoons-- specifically when Thicke astutely observed that why the hell did the Ninja Turtles need to wear masks-- sent me over the edge with laughter; in my apartment, alone and out of breath.

PFT-as-John C. Reilly's glorious way of saying Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant is forever burned into my brain, and I couldn't be happier about it.

What a fun, fun ride, the CBBLive 2013 Tour was.

• Like 1

What a great tour!

I was at the chicago show, had a lot of fun. Have to say one of my favorites was seattle, but there were so many good ones its hard to pick a fav.

The attached pictures are from front row of the Chicago show. Which was a consummation devoutly to be wished. By me. "The Cake Foreman"

At this show Pau... i mean John C. Reilly came down into the crowd of simpletons during the playing of wouldst thou rather.

Come back soon!

- D Will Stone The Cake Foreman

..... "Cake Foreman"

post-64813-0-95193600-1382370878_thumb.png post-64813-0-77389600-1382370927_thumb.jpg post-64813-0-74460400-1382371108_thumb.jpg post-64813-0-40028800-1382371115_thumb.jpg

I was at the early DC show, and listened to the rest. PFT is amazing throughout the tour. Really enjoyed the emergence of Alan Thicke. But Horatio Sanz particularly killed me in his appearances. Just hilarious.

I'm re-listening to all the CBBLIVE 2013 Tour episodes, and I cannot stop listening to this exchange from Episode 7: Detroit, feat. Scott, Kurt Braunohler, and Horatio Sanz as Coco Marx:

SCOTT: So our next guest, he truly is a part of comedy royalty; a long lineage of wonderful comedians. He is the grandson of Groucho Marx, and he is here with us tonight! Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Coco Marx to the stage!

COCO: It’s a pleasure to be here, Detroit. Scott, as you know I had a record store in the Valley called ‘Golden Memories.’ And until recently, Spotifies and your, and your Pandoras Boxes... uh, really hurting our business. So I decided to go back into the family business, which is comedy. Thank you.

SCOTT: Ok! Well, welcome. Is this your first performance?

COCO: This is the first time that I’m gonna do comedy for you people. I have one- I have a joke I just wrote. I’d like to try it for you guys if you wouldn’t mind.

KURT: Oooh!

SCOTT: Sure, yeah. Do you want to take the stage, maybe stand up and do it?

COCO: Sure, let me take the stage here… ...

*Ahem* (clears throat) What do you call a bagel inside a child’s underwear?

JonBeignet Ramsey. Thank you.

(the audience groans)

SCOTT: Awww, I-- Coco…

COCO: Too much?

KURT: That’s not just any child, that’s a dead child.

COCO: That’s right...Terrible story. But these are, uh, the pitfalls of putting makeup on your little child and making them run back and forth on a stage. I’m not saying this child DESERVED to be murdered, you know, it’s just a joke.

(Kurt bursts into uncontrollable laughter)

SCOTT: How did, how did this- how did we GET HERE? In ONE JOKE?!

I've been re-listening to the whole tour this weekend, and boy oh boy, these shows are so great. I'm currently up to episode 9: NYC Show 1. Some more stand out moments for me are as follows:

As I made mention in my previous comment above, Horatio's Chico Marx at the Detroit show with Kurt Braunohler is amazing, with that opening joke really setting the bar for the whole performance. By the time ALW comes out to pitch his idea for a Downton Abbey-inspired, city-wide play about the social classes of Detroit-- revealing he bought all of Detroit to do so-- then suspecting Scott torments him because Scott is really a demon, the zaniness naturally progresses into Kurt and Chico revealing they too are demons before whisking ALW away on a Christmas Carol-inspired journey into the future to show him the error of his ways.

Horatio's entire run is pretty magical. The Chicago show with Sanz as Aspera!'s Victor Ramos flows well as off-the-cuff conversation, especially when John C. Reilly shows up, leading to a very memorable WYR, and the episode becomes more and more manic after the concept of stage-'Pivening' is introduced. Ramos and Reilly then continually attempt to 'out-Piven' each other, much to Scott's mock-chagrin. Of course, songs are sung. The Cantina Band Song in particular is performed on a number of shows and is always a delight.

Another delight was Ep 8: Toronto, with PFT's Alan Thicke and the always funny Sean Cullen. The highlight for me is when the gang decides to do an improv exercise after Alan reveals he has a new game show idea he wants to pitch. Sean casts himself as a CBC TV executive with Scott as his assistant Cheryl. Alan goes on to pitch his idea for 'What Do You Think Will Happen?' (with an emphasis on that underline on 'Think'), which is a re-imagining of the real life Thicke's previous hosting duties on the game show 'Animal Crack-Ups.' The many interruptions made by both Sean and Scott as they introduce new twists for PFT to 'yes and' really make the whole scene excitingly absurd.

On Ep 9: NYC with BJ Novak, Cake Boss's rehashing of his sentient R2-D2 cake story with added, guffaw-worthy flourishes is absolutely glorious and amazingly well-crafted. It is especially rewarding knowing how all of it is born out of gleeful riffing.

(I love the improv on CBB so much, especially when the characters of a PFT or an Andy Daly or the myriad of other talented comedians are getting thrown story elements seemingly meant as obstruction by Scott and his game co-hosts. Of course Scott knows exactly how to walk that line where the absurdity he loves dishing out is just crazy enough that a listener might fret over his intentions-- albeit briefly, and not if they know better-- and the guests without fail snatch it up and cavalierly integrate it into their stories like it naturally makes all the sense in the world. The improv tool of 'If this thing is true, then what else is true?' that the UCB and its associates are so goddamned good at never fails on CBB, much to the giddy delight of us listeners.)

Cake Boss' retelling of the R2-D2 story gets its tangential comedy-veins so thoroughly mined that even Scott loses track of the initial question he asked that started the whole thing (I always marvel at just how sharp PFT is with his storytelling, as I had forgotten as well). The whole thing achieves new levels of brain-bending comedy as Cake Boss and Scott segueway into related topics such as thoroughly trouncing Duncan Hines' despicable cake-making practices, and Cake Boss's movie pitch for a Gravity-esque film about the 1969 Moon Landing wherein Neil Armstrong steps out only to discover the Moon is a giant doughnut hole which he then eats before Buzz Aldrin can step out onto it, stranding Aldrin in space. Of course it is also a musical, and Cake Boss acquiesces and performs a song AND dance from his unproduced masterpiece.

BJ Novak is a great straight man for the festivities, and delivers a lot of really tight retorts and observations for Cake Boss and Scott to play off of, and he even gets in the mix a bit as he and Cake Boss attempt to outmaneuver each other on certain tasks to which they were having to yes-and. It was reminiscent in the best way (but on a smaller scale) to the CBB episode featuring Andy Daly as the Irish storyteller who is forced by Scott and Jason Mantzoukas to recite on-the-spot limericks he did not initially come to the show to recite, and upon getting painted into the tightest of corners after already being game enough to make up one completely improvised limerick (about Obama and the Affordable Care Act, no less), Andy expertly, head-spinningly turns the tables on Jason, throwing him right into the line of fire. It's all a game, and I don't know the tenants of improv, but I imagine if I did educate myself then this particular game dynamic of intentionally nailing a fellow performer with a particularly difficult concept and hammering them into seemingly-harrowing, game-breaking, fiery scene-death is especially appealing simply because the thrill of what comes next is essentially the same as witnessing an escape artist in great peril break free of his chains before he drowns, with the added bonus of casting those chains on the ones responsible for their presence in the first place. BJ's and Cake Boss' quick table-turning isn't nearly as high-stakes as that Daly/Mantzoukas exchange, but it is nonetheless appreciated as being an element of improv I very much enjoy; witnessing performers' overzealous, gleeful tasking of their scene partner-- instigating a kind of improv dog fight-- and leaving the outmaneuvered with the burden of yes-and'ing whatever crazy thing all parties were trying to avoid doing themselves, all the while keeping the game going.

If you are on this thread for some reason and haven't purchased the 2013 Tour, I can only say it is worth every penny and urge you to pick it up with all of my urging-skills.