🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 72.5 — Minisode 72.5

Next week’s movie has Ernie Hudson, talking gorillas, and Laura Linney. What more can you ask for? Paul is also joined by June Diane Raphael for her mini-ep debut to talk about her movie Ass Backwards (which is out now on VOD). He also reads some Corrections & Omissions for Toys, gives us the new tag line for the Movie Title Game after announcing last week’s winners, and shares what he sees while looking up at the stars as he answers your delightful Qs! Make sure to watch Ass Backwards now on VOD & iTunes, don’t miss out on the latest season of The League, catch Season 3 of NTSF:SD:SUV:: Thursdays at midnight on Adult Swim, and use your face to watch Hell Baby right now on Amazon!

STOP EATING MY SESAME CAKE!

Thank Christ they are finally doing Congo!

• Like 3

Congo! Amazing! Ernie Hudson is in it. "That's a big Twinkie." Tim Curry is in it. "Don't dream it, be it!" Joe Don Baker is in it. "Go ahead on!" It's a star-studded cast, a sure-fire box-office HIT! How could this go wrong? ;)

• Like 2

Please devote a good 5 minutes to Amy's dialogue, as delivered through her Nintendo power glove. "Ugly--gorillas--go away!"

• Like 1

They're doing a movie I've seen AND it's Congo?!? Is it my Birthday? (It actually is, this Saturday)

Thank God I can finally get a chance to catch up with The Glimmer Man and Toys

• Like 1

I can't wait to see their thoughts about Congo!

I first remembered this movie when my father recorded this movie on VHS when it aired on Pay-Per-View around late 1995 or early 1996 as a triple feature along with The Santa Clause and Casper. I didn't see this again until I bought it on VHS and watched it in all its very weird glory.

Now that it was the very first Michael Crichton adaptation to be put on this show, I wonder if wee can see some others like The Lost World, Sphere, The 13th Warrior or Timeline because those were pretty terrible.

I was terrified of this movie as a kid... Now I'm going to watch it and laugh. Full circle.

I almost forgot!

Tim Curry's weird accent! Gorillas being sliced apart by a fucking laser! Gorillas falling into lava flows!

jimmy buffett is in this movie also as well too

Not sure if that's good/bad or bad/bad. Strong dislike for that fella.

They're doing a movie I've seen AND it's Congo?!? Is it my Birthday? (It actually is, this Saturday)

Thank God I can finally get a chance to catch up with The Glimmer Man and Toys

Don't feel bad about quitting halfway through either of those two. And happy birthday, duder! Enjoy your youth.

HELLO! This is Irwin from Philadelphia, and today is...♪♫ somebody's birthday, their first-time-on-earth-day, a time to be happy and gay. This delightful occasion is in celebration of years that have passed away... So with music and flowers, we'll spend happy hours; we'll laugh, we'll sing, and we'll play. So let's all drink a toast to our most charming host, cuz it's somebody's birthday today ♪♫
  • Like 1

Not sure if that's good/bad or bad/bad. Strong dislike for that fella.

my mom came home from blockbuster one day with congo on vhs right after it was released and as we all sat to watch it said "buffett's in this movie we have to look for buffett." the vhs was watched three times. i still love my mom tho

• Like 1

Oh what a great choice!

This movie really was the first personal 'How did this get made?' movie experience in my life. I mean.. where I was sincerely annoyed with that very question long after viewing it.

Anyone old enough to remember when this was a VHS rental you 'reserved' a week in advance and then you and all your roommates and probably friends came over?

It was a big deal.

And this was one everyone insisted was pretty awesome! And I just... could not... comprehend how.. I mean it made me angry!

I'm not going to rewatch it. I can still remember being constantly annoyed at baffling choices, convoluted logic, holes and gaps and corny moments and I want the HDTGM peeps to take me through it again!

*What might have annoyed me above all this - I think I believed Ernie 'The Black Ghostbuster' Hudson was finally going to get his due.

Then realizing this movie set him back to .. well just being 'the black ghostbuster' for probably the rest of his never recoverable celebrity career :(

When Paul talks about the guy making love to mother earth all I could think about was Andy Dalys character on Comedy Bang Bang that talks about having sex with the ground.

• Like 1

*What might have annoyed me above all this - I think I believed Ernie 'The Black Ghostbuster' Hudson was finally going to get his due.

Then realizing this movie set him back to .. well just being 'the black ghostbuster' for probably the rest of his never recoverable celebrity career :(

I'd rather be The Black Ghostbuster than plain ol' me or Dan Aykroyd any day of the week.

This movie came out in a weird period where big budget films were beginning to use CGI more instead of constructing sets and using practical effects. I mean, Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park blew everyone's minds in 1991 and 1993 respectively, and then you get Congo in 1995 with fake rocks and a dude in a gorilla suit. It looked like shit even at the time.

• Like 2

RE: Ernie Hudson

Apparently Bill Murray has refused to do any Ghostbusters sequel unless Ernie Hudson is given equal screen time, because he thought he was treated unfairly in the previous two films. I know Bill Murray can be a dick, but he can also be awesome.

• Like 2

Paul should invest in another mike.

Yes, the production values of these free podcasts perturb my sphincter.

• Like 2

Congo, great book, great pinball machine, terrible movie, can't wait for this episode!

Jason and Seth killed it on The League as well. No more pocket dogs say it isn't so. Avenge me Brian!

I feel like after listening to this, I should be on the phone ordering a juicer or something....

Gorillas falling into lava flows!

Nooo, gorillas jumping into lava flows. And this is not only the first Michael Crichton HDTGM, but it's also the first BRUCE GODDAMNED CAMPBELLmovie!!!! (And yes, you are legally required to refer to him only as such, boldface type and all.)

Oh and if you haven't seen Doug Walker's Nostalgia Critic take on Congo, you really need to just for the "Tickle Me Amy" segments.

Great choice for a movie! The last time I saw it, I think I was too young to appreciate unintentional comedy. btw, I missed June on the last one, especially since there were so many things in Toys she could have read too much into.

I read this on the internet (so it must be true) but it said that Ernie Black Ghost Buster Hudson actually auditioned to be the voice actor of his own character in the 'Cartoon Ghostbusters' and didn't get the role.

It went to Arsenio Hall instead.

Wow.. wow.. this movie didn't just end Hudson's big chance at leading roles in big films but somehow demoted him to 'not getting black ghostbuster roles'.

No Justice No Peace Hollywood!

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this