🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 72.5 — Minisode 72.5

And this is not only the first Michael Crichton HDTGM, but it's also the first BRUCE GODDAMNED CAMPBELLmovie!!!!

technically spiderman 3 tho

Nooo, gorillas jumping into lava flows.

I think this is one where we can both be right! (Only you more so than me.) I rewatched a clip and, yes, the gorillas jump in like its the cannonball Olympics. But there's this one that just drunkenly tumbles over the edge that I always seem to focus on whenever I saw this movie. Check him out at the :14 mark

I read this on the internet (so it must be true) but it said that Ernie Black Ghost Buster Hudson actually auditioned to be the voice actor of his own character in the 'Cartoon Ghostbusters' and didn't get the role.

It went to Arsenio Hall instead.

Wow.. wow.. this movie didn't just end Hudson's big chance at leading roles in big films but somehow demoted him to 'not getting black ghostbuster roles'.

No Justice No Peace Hollywood!

Sadly, it's a true story

http://www.avclub.co...ghostb,81124/2/

Though the Ghostbusters cartoon was waaay before Congo.

• Like 1

From Ernie's IMDB page, it looks like he's a steady working actor, but yeah, he should have had more success coming off big roles in two really big movies, but that just goes to show you the dearth of parts for black actors and lack of access. But he was in Oz and in one of my favorite movies, Lackawanna Blues.

I read this on the internet (so it must be true) but it said that Ernie Black Ghost Buster Hudson actually auditioned to be the voice actor of his own character in the 'Cartoon Ghostbusters' and didn't get the role.

It went to Arsenio Hall instead.

Wow.. wow.. this movie didn't just end Hudson's big chance at leading roles in big films but somehow demoted him to 'not getting black ghostbuster roles'.

No Justice No Peace Hollywood!

Agreed and totally lame.

An interesting aside: Lorenzo Music (the voice of cartoon Garfield) did the voice of Dr. Peter Venkman for the Ghostbusters cartoon. Apparently Bill Murray became friends with the guy, and after Lorenzo passed away, Bill Murray did the live action Garfield movie out of respect. Or a sweet and easy paycheck, who knows, but it's nice to think of.

Based on that AV Club interview, Hudson seems like he has the best attitude ever. Here's what he said about Congo:

Congo (1995)—“Captain Munro Kelly”

EH: Congo was my film. It was my character, and I got a chance to do my version of whatever a leading man is, which has always been a bit of a challenge, finding those parts. I had so much fun with that character, and they allowed me, reluctantly, to do the accent and be the African guide. It was just so much fun, and it’s probably my favorite character of all. Yeah, I have nothing but fond memories. I’m so glad I got a chance to do that, and when people ask about my career, put Munro Kelly up against the guys I played on Oz and The Crow and The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, and that’s my career. That’s the range.

• Like 1

Agreed and totally lame.

An interesting aside: Lorenzo Music (the voice of cartoon Garfield) did the voice of Dr. Peter Venkman for the Ghostbusters cartoon. Apparently Bill Murray became friends with the guy, and after Lorenzo passed away, Bill Murray did the live action Garfield movie out of respect. Or a sweet and easy paycheck, who knows, but it's nice to think of.

Someone was actually named Lorenzo Music?!? If that was a character name, it would instantly go to the top of my list in a certain nearby thread.

"How do you tell the difference between the real monkey and the guy in the monkey suit?"

#freakazoid

• Like 1

For my money, the most HDTGM worthy Crichton movies are Sphere and Lost World. Sure there aren't any talking gorillas, but...

Lost World was just a complete mess. In the days before Matrix sequels or Star Wars prequels, there had never been as highly anticipated turd of a sequel in movie history. You could almost fill a whole podcast on the idiots getting everyone killed trying to rescue a baby t-rex, or the daughter outsmarting raptors with grade school gymnastics routines.

Sphere was downright incoherent, trying to be 3 different movies: The Abyss, Deep Star Six, and Solaris. My favorite parts were Dustin Hoffman, as a professional psychologist, screaming out Sharon Stone's damaging patient history for petty insult fodder in front of colleagues. Then there's the amazingly sloppy editing, like when they're trying to get away from a giant squid and the tense soundtrack gives the "all clear" cue ten whole seconds before they actually reach safety.

technically spiderman 3 tho

Between the two films, Bruce Campbell had like a minute and a half of screen time, so even if he's appeared in 2 HDTGM films, I'd argue that we STILL haven't seen them cover a "Bruce Campbell movie".

When I was 8, my family went to the movies. My parents went to one movie (probably The Bridges of Madison County or something), and my 17-year-old sister was in charge of taking me to a more appropriate one. I could swear we went to Grumpy Old Men, but that movie came out in 1993, so I don't know. I do know that my sister got bored and snuck me into Congo which she wanted to see instead and it BLEW MY MIND. I remember the eyeball rolling on the ground and being like, "coooooooollll....eeeeewwwww." I don't have Netflix and I don't feel like paying to rent this on Amazon, so I will probably rely on my nearly 20-year-old memory to enjoy this one.

• Like 1

Based on that AV Club interview, Hudson seems like he has the best attitude ever. Here's what he said about Congo:

Congo (1995)—“Captain Munro Kelly”

EH: Congo was my film. It was my character, and I got a chance to do my version of whatever a leading man is, which has always been a bit of a challenge, finding those parts. I had so much fun with that character, and they allowed me, reluctantly, to do the accent and be the African guide. It was just so much fun, and it’s probably my favorite character of all. Yeah, I have nothing but fond memories. I’m so glad I got a chance to do that, and when people ask about my career, put Munro Kelly up against the guys I played on Oz and The Crow and The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, and that’s my career. That’s the range.

luv that e-hudz

• Like 1

Between the two films, Bruce Campbell had like a minute and a half of screen time, so even if he's appeared in 2 HDTGM films, I'd argue that we STILL haven't seen them cover a "Bruce Campbell movie".

yeah idk what i was doing guess i just wanted to flex my pedant muscles

For my money, the most HDTGM worthy Crichton movies are Sphere and Lost World. Sure there aren't any talking gorillas, but...

Those movies have some bonkers stuff in them, but I'd argue there are times where they work. This movie, no matter how hard it tries (and I'm not still not sure it was trying at all), never works. Plus, out of the three, only Congo has Joe Don Baker.

Those movies have some bonkers stuff in them, but I'd argue there are times where they work. This movie, no matter how hard it tries (and I'm not still not sure it was trying at all), never works. Plus, out of the three, only Congo has Joe Don Baker.

Mitchell_drinking.jpg

Never forget.

• Like 3

Awww dammit Bruce, I'm out of likes!

No worries! I have a feeling we will be discussing a lot of JDB in the next couple of weeks. I cannot even see a picture of Joe Don Baker without thinking, Wakka-chikka Wakka-chikka Wakka-chikka.

"Heart pounding, veins clogging. Mitchell!" - C&B reminded me of this and it is fucking gold.

"A day in the life of Joe Don Baker."

"You want a beer? Some of them got cigarette butts in 'em."

Mitchell_drinking.jpg

Never forget.

"Sorry, I guess the beer got excited..."

Our hero, ladies and gentlemen.

• Like 1

Ohhh right. I blocked Spiderman 3 from my memory, so that's my bad.

Nobody will hold you responsible for an act of self-defense.

Hoo boy, watched this last night and it is crazy terrible. The two leads never really did anything big after Congo. Thank god for Tim Curry chewing the scenery with the most ridiculous hammy Romanian(?) accent you've ever heard; his character's name is Herkermer Homolka, for cryin' out loud. Dylan Walsh was demoted to TV after this movie.

The three different motivations for going to the Congo (Amy going to the jungle, fancy diamonds for a super laser, and whatever Tim Curry was up to) never quite turn into a plot. The whole thing just gets messy once they get to the jungle -- which takes forever, by the way.

This is a movie in which people shoot down rocket-propelled grenades with FLARE GUNS. In a helicopter.

• Like 1

Hoo boy, watched this last night and it is crazy terrible. The two leads never really did anything big after Congo.

Laura Linney went on to much bigger things. Now Dylan Walsh, not so much...

Laura Linney went on to much bigger things. Now Dylan Walsh, not so much...

I think maybe he meant the monkey. That was the real romantic interest...

Wow, this movie is pretty fucking terrible.

On the plus side, it's directed by Garry Marshall and there's a running joke about whether to call someone by their first name, or "Mr." and their last name. MIND BLOWN.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this