🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 72.5 — Minisode 72.5

On the plus side, it's directed by Garry Marshall and there's a running joke about whether to call someone by their first name, or "Mr." and their last name. MIND BLOWN.

Garry Marshall didn't direct Congo, that was Frank Marshall, he also did Arachnophobia, Alive and Eight Below.

Yep, I realized that when I read the closing credits a little more carefully than I had read the IMDB page. Oh well, it still made me laugh.

Garry Marshall didn't direct Congo, that was Frank Marshall, he also did Arachnophobia, Alive and Eight Below.

I actually really wished that Garry Marshall directed this, because I would have loved for either a crazy, behind the scenes contractual obligation or an insane cameo by Richard Gere and Julia Roberts.

I am less than halfway through Congo and my mind is collapsing in on itself. I'm entirely confused about what this movie actually is about. The hard cut in the first 30 seconds from the jungle to outer space completely destroyed my sense of what era it is.

I have so many questions. Is this a horror movie? A comedy? A adventure in the style of Indiana Jones? Why does the pilot look like a WWI-era British Aviator but has a New Jersey accent? What happened to Tim Curry and Ernie Hudson's accents? Why do the scientists keep wanting to just duck out in the middle of the jungle or a vehicle checkpoint? Why do they hate geeks so much when they are complete geeks? This movie is amazing.

Am I the only one who thought of Bubba Ho-Tep when Dylan Walsh came running out of the tent with the leech on his peepee?

This movie made me burst out laughing several times. Judging by the end of the movie when a satellite is destroyed by a laser-diamond gun are we to assume this is a prequel to Gravity?

This movie made me burst out laughing several times. Judging by the end of the movie when a satellite is destroyed by a laser-diamond gun are we to assume this is a prequel to Gravity?

Maybe it's a prequel to Moonraker.

moonraker-battle.gif?w=300&h=155

• Like 1

This movie taught me that telecommunications technology can be very easily adapted into a laser death ray. Because uhhh blue diamonds.

• Like 3

I was sad that the dialogue was so boring overall, but there were a handful of gems.

"Have your laughing, and I will have mine!"

"I don't have her passion. I'll follow the gorilla."

"What about them?" "Put them on the endangered species list."

"Stop eating my sesame seed cake. STOP EATING MY SESAME SEED CAKE."

Also, they were constantly saying lines to each other that didn't sound like they were even having the same conversation.

And then "Gravity" is of course a prequel to "Prometheus 2". Oh wait, did I spoil the twist?

This movie taught me that telecommunications technology can be very easily adapted into a laser death ray. Because uhhh blue diamonds.

Not unlike the device in "Dark Knight Rises". Eh, it could be the greatest power source ever created, or it MIGHT just be some sort of doomsday device. You say potato, I say nuclear fucking weapon...

"STOP EATING MY SESAME SEED CAKE."

Hands up, who can't wait to hear Jason say this? Because it's going to happen. It has to.

• Like 4

Until I saw this movie I believed there was not a person less likely to say a Schwarzenegger-esque one-liner right before shooting a laser at monsters than Laura Linney, but I was so, so wrong.

I like Laura Linney and all, but could the writer/director have not made it more obvious with the wardrobe, quippy bad-ass characterization that the reason for casting her was - 'Let's get someone who can sort of pass for Laura Dern'?

• Like 1

It's weird how much E-Hudz ended up looking like a Ghostbuster by the third act.

7jtqt8l.png

And they made a line of action figures, because every kid wants to reenact this story with the power of their imagination.

nWPkCAt.jpg

• Like 2

I have to say - given the hate it received here - I actually had an enjoyable time watching Congo. And I can see 'why it was made'. The question is more - why was it made the way it was made? And apparently the answer is that the CGI used in Jurassic Park wasn't advanced enough yet to make computer generated apes look convincing.

That said, there's still a ton of weird shit in Congo. Like the accents. Tim Curry's accent - well, the less said the better. However, did the director not notice that Ernie Hudson adopted a pseudo-British accent halfway through the movie?

I have to say - given the hate it received here - I actually had an enjoyable time watching Congo. [...] That said, there's still a ton of weird shit in Congo. Like the accents. Tim Curry's accent - well, the less said the better. However, did the director not notice that Ernie Hudson adopted a pseudo-British accent halfway through the movie?

Oh no, I agree with you -- it's an enjoyable bad movie. Almost any Tim Curry performance is worth watching. And I thought Ernie Hudson was supposed to be from South Africa or something? I forget. And I think you're spot on with the Laura Dern thing.

I like Laura Linney and all, but could the writer/director have not made it more obvious with the wardrobe, quippy bad-ass characterization that the reason for casting her was - 'Let's get someone who can sort of pass for Laura Dern'?

I thought the entire movie came across as a blatant attempt to capitalize on Jurassic Park, except that they weren't able to actually do any of the things that made Jurassic Park work.

That said, there's still a ton of weird shit in Congo. Like the accents. Tim Curry's accent - well, the less said the better. However, did the director not notice that Ernie Hudson adopted a pseudo-British accent halfway through the movie?

Giving Ernie the benefit of the doubt, a lot of Kenyans do have a mix of British & Swahili accents, and I *think* that's what he was trying to do.

I have no problem with the accent- just that he seemed to dial it up about five notches from about the 45 minute mark.

The accents really did kind of come and go. There was one great scene where they were loading the plane and Ernie Hudson was saying something about Tim Curry's character not really being a philanthropist. They were bickering and both their accents disappeared at the same time; suddenly Tim Curry was British and Ernie Hudson was American, and then they were back.

"THIS WEEK'S EPISODE WILL BE DELAYED 24 HOURS"

Hey guys, social media intern Katie here. Paul wanted me to reach out to all HDTGM fans on Twitter, Facebook and Reddit to let you guys know that this week's Congo episode will be coming out on Wednesday instead of Tuesday. No word as to why, but that's just what's going on. So if you're like me and you stay up until 12am PST for new episodes, you can go to sleep early tonight. ALSO: Don't forget to watch Congo now that Netflix is streaming it!!
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this