🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 148 — Young Randolph Mantooth

Talented actor Chris Smith joins us to ring in Rocktober on today’s Who Charted! Chris tells us about being on the new CBS comedy We Are Men, who’s his favorite American Idol performer, and asks what the hell does adult contemporary really mean while counting down Billboard’s Adult Contemporary Music Chart. Then, we find out how hard it is to write movie blurbs and have some of your questions answered in a new segment complete with a brand new Chart theme!

"There's a new song by R. Kelly called I'm a Flirt." Kulap Noooooooooooooooooooo

2007 is newish..... Also, this guest so charming and funny. Loved it! The new segment is great, a nice change from the semi-awkward guest chart.

2007 is newish..... Also, this guest so charming and funny. Loved it!

Newish in the old way, lol.

• Like 1

I think all of those EDM songs are about taking drugs and partying, or in the case of that Cotton Eye Joe-like song, waking up after a night of taking drugs only to have a personal epiphany that you are going to do it again.

• Like 3

I think all of those EDM songs are about taking drugs and partying, or in the case of that Cotton Eye Joe-like song, waking up after a night of taking drugs only to have a personal epiphany that you are going to do it again.

Everything I hear on the radio is just "we gonna party" and "tonight we gonna do it" or variations on that theme. It's tiresome. And I don't know what non-Summah is like in LA but up here it's time to put away the dance music and play something more soulful. I wonder if Howard ever listens to older R&B like Sam Cooke or

or whatnot; there's some real jams out there. I guess that's why I don't keep up too much with a lot of contemporary music; there's so much good shit that I'm still finding out about.
  • Like 1

That R. Kelly song has the best line ever though: "I'm black, handsome, I sing, plus I'm rich, and I'm flirt"

• Like 2

Chris was awesome as a guest, though if he's impressed with 78 million dollars. Grand Theft Auto V cost 265 million to make, but made over a billion within three days. Though that is a video game not a movie.

Everything I hear on the radio is just "we gonna party" and "tonight we gonna do it" or variations on that theme. It's tiresome. And I don't know what non-Summah is like in LA but up here it's time to put away the dance music and play something more soulful. I wonder if Howard ever listens to older R&B like Sam Cooke or

or whatnot; there's some real jams out there. I guess that's why I don't keep up too much with a lot of contemporary music; there's so much good shit that I'm still finding out about.

Erykah Badu still doing her thing and there is this new girl, Janelle Monae, and she's like James Brown reincarnated. I wish D'Angelo would get off that stuff and make music, because he's real good. I dunno, I'm old, so I suppose I would be singing a different tune if I were in my teens or early 20s. A song about partying would be cool. But I'm a grown ass man.

Remember when JDR was on, and they asked her what her pop song would be? Mine would be, "Just paid my bills! Hooray!"

• Like 2

Janelle Monae is the greatest thing ever. I was trying to describe her to someone the other day, and I basically just said it's like if David Bowie and Prince had a baby. And speaking of Erykah Badu, that duet she does with Janelle on the new album is awesome.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was on Janelle Monae from the get-go, but Adele is meanwhile cleaning up the press coverage and awards, blah blah blah. Blue eyed soul still gets on top.

Erykah Badu still doing her thing and there is this new girl, Janelle Monae, and she's like James Brown reincarnated. I wish D'Angelo would get off that stuff and make music, because he's real good. I dunno, I'm old, so I suppose I would be singing a different tune if I were in my teens or early 20s. A song about partying would be cool. But I'm a grown ass man.

Remember when JDR was on, and they asked her what her pop song would be? Mine would be, "Just paid my bills! Hooray!"

Yeah, didn't Erykah and D'Angelo kinda go off on vision quests or something for awhile there? I don't know about Badu except that she was off the radar, but I did see some crazy shit about D'Angelo although I'm pretty sure he's cleaned up now.

And I'm with you on the music/partying/grown ass man tip. But as we know, Howie is defying that time waits for no man. Wouldn't have it any other way.

ETA: Also, Sharon Jones is the fucking jam. That's some shit Howard should be listening to.

• Like 2

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I am with this. Can we just collectively listen to Voodoo again and agree that it was way ahead of its time? Devil's Pie and Spanish Joint are on every R&B playlist I have. It seems like a lot of R&B now is just about churlish and impulsive behavior (lookin at you R. Kelly). It used to be about complex emotional relationships right? I think this "party" music shit is super tired and I'm only in my mid-twenties. Am I losing my mind inside this post? Probably.

• Like 1

The "You know him from" in Kulap's intro has never been less true, but Chris was pretty great. I hope Scott listened to this episode, because Chris used the phrases "my wife" and "Hollywood nights" multiple times. Howard's ghost table line was incredible.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I am with this. Can we just collectively listen to Voodoo again and agree that it was way ahead of its time? Devil's Pie and Spanish Joint are on every R&B playlist I have. It seems like a lot of R&B now is just about churlish and impulsive behavior (lookin at you R. Kelly). It used to be about complex emotional relationships right? I think this "party" music shit is super tired and I'm only in my mid-twenties. Am I losing my mind inside this post? Probably.

D has released two albums, "Voodoo" and "Brown Sugar," and each song on those two albums are good. None of them are skippable. He is literally a genius, but he is full blown into drugs and deeply depressed. He lives in a big house near Richmond, Virginia and plays instruments and smokes all day. It's very sad.

There was talk that he was gonna release another album, and I remember hearing a leaked track, but I never heard anything else after that.

Yeah, I was on Janelle Monae from the get-go, but Adele is meanwhile cleaning up the press coverage and awards, blah blah blah. Blue eyed soul still gets on top.

Yeah, didn't Erykah and D'Angelo kinda go off on vision quests or something for awhile there? I don't know about Badu except that she was off the radar, but I did see some crazy shit about D'Angelo although I'm pretty sure he's cleaned up now.

And I'm with you on the music/partying/grown ass man tip. But as we know, Howie is defying that time waits for no man. Wouldn't have it any other way.

ETA: Also, Sharon Jones is the fucking jam. That's some shit Howard should be listening to.

From what I understand, Badu was raising her and Andre 3K's son. Broke up with him, and met Jay Electronica. I think they have a child together or are married or engaged or something. But all through that, she was releasing music, although it hasn't been as big as her first two albums.

D'Angelo is depressed, on drugs, and lounging in his house. He was supposed to release a new album, but there was nothing released besides one song.

And I totally agree, the Dap Kings are the shit!

Wasn't part of D'Angelo's depression about feeling he was being over sexualized? And then he gained weight on purpose (a la Kelly LeBrock)? I swear I read that somewhere.

Howard likes new sounds. Trying to get him to listen to anything soulful or old school is an uphill battle, trust me. He doesn't interpret things the way we do.

• Like 2

Wasn't part of D'Angelo's depression about feeling he was being over sexualized? And then he gained weight on purpose (a la Kelly LeBrock)? I swear I read that somewhere.

I think you're thinking of Beverly D'Angelo.

I found it: http://www.gq.com/entertainment/music/201206/dangelo-gq-june-2012-interview?currentPage=1

D'Angelo felt tortured, Questlove says, by the pressure to give the audience what it wanted. Worried that he didn't look as cut as he did in the video, he'd delay shows to do stomach crunches. He'd often give in, peeling off his shirt, but he resented being reduced to that. Wasn't he an artist? Couldn't the audience hear the power of his music and value him for that?...

"One time I got mad when a female threw money at me onstage, and that made me feel fucked-up, and I threw the money back at her," [D'Angelo] says. "I was like, 'I'm not a stripper.' "

Sign in to follow this