🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 148.5 — 10/4/13 TWO CHARTED 87

SPOILER ALERT: Ku-Ku & Wie-Wie go through the Breaking Bad finale and much more on this week’s TWOOCH! Howard tells us about shooting a video for “Summah Gum” with Stard and Kulap takes us through her Howieek in TV by discussing SNL’s new cast additions, the return of Eastbound and Down, and the series premiere of Hello Ladies. Also, WE GOT SOME GIFTS!

That Pharcyde song brings me back!!!!! Here is the skit right before that song.

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 1

God, SNL has not been relevant since the early 90s. Its only on air because it is a "tradition" now. Blah.

"Can I tell you about something great I read on twitter...

...that I wrote."

• Like 3

God, SNL has not been relevant since the early 90s. Its only on air because it is a "tradition" now. Blah.

You hear way more about the musical guests now than anything else that happens. It's just youtube clips of whoever was on last week.

Nice to hear some old-school (I guess at this point?) hip-hop on the show.

Even if you think it's been bad since then (and I disagree, but whatever), I don't think you can call a show "irrelevant" when it's churned out people like Will Ferrell, Amy Poehler, Jimmy Fallon, and Kristen Wiig.

• Like 1

Even if you think it's been bad since then (and I disagree, but whatever), I don't think you can call a show "irrelevant" when it's churned out people like Will Ferrell, Amy Poehler, Jimmy Fallon, and Kristen Wiig.

Yeah, to be fair people have been saying 'SNL hasn't been relevant since [insert favorite decade here]' all the way back to the late 70s. I think it goes in and out, and when they get just the right combination of people it can be great. Right now they have some really solid people like Jay Pharoah, Kate McKinnon, Taran Killam, Cecily Strong, etc., it's just about how they use them. They wasted Jay Pharoah for a long time, but I think they're finally realizing was a goldmine he really is.

• Like 1

Yeah, basically what Sean said. I can recall people bitching about SNL back in the early 1990s, saying it hasn't been good since Eddie Murphy and Chevy Chase left. People were saying Mike Meyers and Dana Carvey weren't funny, etc. People will always say it was better back when they were actually watching it.

I haven't seen a full episode of it for several years. My problem with the show is the scripted nature of it; when a sketch isn't funny, they can't just switch gears and do something else -- there's not a lot of improv, which leads to terribly unfunny, overly long skits that are trying to hammer one joke into the ground because they have six minutes to kill until the break. Honestly they should clip the show down to 60 minutes and leave out some filler.

• Like 4

Yeah, basically what Sean said. I can recall people bitching about SNL back in the early 1990s, saying it hasn't been good since Eddie Murphy and Chevy Chase left. People were saying Mike Meyers and Dana Carvey weren't funny, etc. People will always say it was better back when they were actually watching it.

I haven't seen a full episode of it for several years. My problem with the show is the scripted nature of it; when a sketch isn't funny, they can't just switch gears and do something else -- there's not a lot of improv, which leads to terribly unfunny, overly long skits that are trying to hammer one joke into the ground because they have six minutes to kill until the break. Honestly they should clip the show down to 60 minutes and leave out some filler.

I honestly haven't watched regularly for a decade. Sometimes when they have an interesting guest host or musical act I'll make a point to watch, but otherwise it's not something I go out of my way to see. And even then, I always forget the cardinal rule of musical guests on SNL, which is that they will always sound terrible, no matter how good they actually are.

I also think part of it is a generational thing. Because it's a zeitgeist-y kind of thing you sort of attach to it at a certain age, and it's must-see TV, but then casts change out and you get older and it's suddenly not as appealing. It's the same thing with The Simpsons. It's going into it's 25th season, despite the fact that I have personally found it kind of unwatchable for at least the last 14 years. But clearly a lot of other people like it and get something out of it. Those same people would probably find the early seasons I love poorly animated, slow plot-wise, and they'd probably think the voices sound weird.

• Like 2

Wow, Phantom Of The Paradise at 1:30, that's a deep cut. Don't think too many people know about that one these days.

PS - I do love when they get someone cool to do the couch gag

Hypno-Toad Lives!!!

• Like 2

Wow, Phantom Of The Paradise at 1:30, that's a deep cut. Don't think too many people know about that one these days.

del Toro has great enthusiasm for weird stuff and a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of it. I

You hear way more about the musical guests now than anything else that happens. It's just youtube clips of whoever was on last week.

Nice to hear some old-school (I guess at this point?) hip-hop on the show.

It sounds strange to say that doesn't it? The stuff we grew up on is old school. And in another decade will be classic. Man, I'm getting old. :(

Yeah, to be fair people have been saying 'SNL hasn't been relevant since [insert favorite decade here]' all the way back to the late 70s. I think it goes in and out, and when they get just the right combination of people it can be great. Right now they have some really solid people like Jay Pharoah, Kate McKinnon, Taran Killam, Cecily Strong, etc., it's just about how they use them. They wasted Jay Pharoah for a long time, but I think they're finally realizing was a goldmine he really is.

Other shows -- Mad TV and In Living Color -- has had alumni go on to bigger things, but those shows are off of the air. I say that it is tradition now, because no matter what the ratings for SNL -- and they have been dismally low at times -- NBC doesn't pull the plug. It's like they keep thinking that they will recapture the ratings the show had from the late 70s to early 80s. It is not going to happen. There is too much stuff to watch and too many channels to watch it on. Those types of ratings are only going to come back when cable networks stop making original shows and the US cuts off the Internet.

SNL is like the WWE of sketch comedy. They're the only game in town, so there is no way to accurately judge what is going on with them. They have no competitor in which to measure them by. Because they have no competitor, there is no reason to stretch or go beyond what they are used to. Plus, they are still run by Lorne Micheals and he tastes still reflect the 70s -- you can tell that by the casting/writing staff problems. The only funny stuff I do like about them is the digital shorts and parody music videos. But those are something that Micheals was at first reluctant to do. Thank God for Samberg or the show would have had no redeeming qualities.

I honestly haven't watched regularly for a decade. Sometimes when they have an interesting guest host or musical act I'll make a point to watch, but otherwise it's not something I go out of my way to see. And even then, I always forget the cardinal rule of musical guests on SNL, which is that they will always sound terrible, no matter how good they actually are.

I also think part of it is a generational thing. Because it's a zeitgeist-y kind of thing you sort of attach to it at a certain age, and it's must-see TV, but then casts change out and you get older and it's suddenly not as appealing. It's the same thing with The Simpsons. It's going into it's 25th season, despite the fact that I have personally found it kind of unwatchable for at least the last 14 years. But clearly a lot of other people like it and get something out of it. Those same people would probably find the early seasons I love poorly animated, slow plot-wise, and they'd probably think the voices sound weird.

I will concede that I am an old, so that probably has something to do with it as well. Though, to be fair to Carvey and Myers, they had sketch characters that everyone talked about -- Wayne's World, The Church Lady, The "Pump You Up" brothers -- but I haven't seen anything from recent SNL that was talked about like that -- aside from the political lampoons of Tina Fey and Will Ferrell.

Hypno-Toad Lives!!!

That was my single favorite part of the whole thing.

Regarding SNL's ratings, they're actually shockingly high compared to NBC's primetime shows these days.

That was my single favorite part of the whole thing.

Regarding SNL's ratings, they're actually shockingly high compared to NBC's primetime shows these days.

One of my favorite gags in Futurama was the show "Everyone Loves Hypno-Toad" spoof of "Everyone Loves Raymond." That cracks me up to no end, because they had the studio audience and everything. All so that Hypno-Toad could be on a bare stage. And it cracks me up further because that is the first thing that came to Hypno-Toad's mind. Hypno-Toad didn't want to be the president, or a business leader, or anything else. He wanted to be a star on TV.

Hypno-Toad is vain as hell.

• Like 1

I love Kulap's show idea for Howard! They could call it "Howard Kremer's Version of Paul Provenza's Green Room"!

man, all those cypress hill songs on black sunday are perfect for smoking weed

This was most of high school for me.

Sign in to follow this