🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 45 — The Posehn Stroke

I really hope it doesn't take as long to get him back in the game as it did with Gerry!

Amarth will be missed, but I'm also excited to see who Brian will roll next.

Who's going to loot Amarth's sweet armor?

Can anyone wear it? It would be enormous. Maybe the Dragonborn could fit into it.

Listening to this again, it was fun to hear Sark riffing on Sir Richard's imminent demise, " and then just hurling himself into abysses...".

So close!

Goodbye ya big, dumb lug. Cant wait to meet the new big, dumb lug.

lol I hadn't even though about that. "Oh man I'm crushed, our friend died."

"Ya, so... About his gear..."

Been listening to the show from the beginning but this is the first time I've come on the forums...I love Sark's DMing most of the time, but I think he made a mistake here. I say that because I think he meant there to be only a remote chance of one of the characters falling (at least, that's what it seemed like from his reaction to what was happening), but in fact the way he set things up on the fly made it more likely than not that one of the characters would fall. If there is a 7% chance of something happening on one dice roll, but you repeat the dice roll 12 times (4 characters X 3 floors), you end up with more than a 58% chance of one of the players missing a roll at least once. I know that's kind of nitpicky, but it's come up a few times before, where by repeating something that is very low percentage over and over you end up making it more likely to happen than not.

Something to keep in mind for the future, maybe: if you repeat a low-percentage chance a bunch of times, it becomes a high-percentage chance.

• Like 1

brian should roll up the clone of mildred that got left back on tuftworld. how fucking meta would that shit be?

• Like 2

f90fc629-f428-4f92-bf54-05322e7e4e16_zps7ddeb648.jpg Love this classy looking viral marketing for Amarth's death and re-birth; can't believe you guys are still pan-handling us for cash when you can produce this.......... Money-grubbing bastards...
  • Like 2

Is it weird that I was expecting this, a bit, after the whole "leaping on the elevator" business from the previous episode and Sark's stern warning that "sometimes it's the most mundane things that get you"?

Were this all pre-written, I'd accuse the gang of clunky foreshadowing, but I think the near-fail on the elevator door and then the total fail on the rope climb -- both Amarth -- made the rope fall kind of fitting in a weird way. You can't cheat the Mundane Reaper more than once, my friend.

*CONAN SOUNDTRACK*

This was playing in the background as the scene unfolded in my head, in slow motion.

HA! While you had that going on in your head, I had this....

I was curious enough about what would have happened if Blackie had been under Amarth that I asked the boffins at Stack Exchange about it. No replies yet, but I'm interested in seeing what would (theoretically) have happened if Blackie had been in a position to break, slow, or direct Amarth's fall.

http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/29360/what-happens-to-a-levitating-character-catching-something-heavy-in-dd

Been listening to the show from the beginning but this is the first time I've come on the forums...I love Sark's DMing most of the time, but I think he made a mistake here. I say that because I think he meant there to be only a remote chance of one of the characters falling (at least, that's what it seemed like from his reaction to what was happening), but in fact the way he set things up on the fly made it more likely than not that one of the characters would fall. If there is a 7% chance of something happening on one dice roll, but you repeat the dice roll 12 times (4 characters X 3 floors), you end up with more than a 58% chance of one of the players missing a roll at least once. I know that's kind of nitpicky, but it's come up a few times before, where by repeating something that is very low percentage over and over you end up making it more likely to happen than not.

Something to keep in mind for the future, maybe: if you repeat a low-percentage chance a bunch of times, it becomes a high-percentage chance.

This is true but Sark countered with multiple rolls of a much higher percentage for Amarth to grab the rail or rope..... So the percentages were actually waaaaay in Amarth's favor. Maybe Brian needed more time for his NOT Mr Show tour!!!!

RIP you big beautiful Barabarian bastard!!!!!

HH

• Like 1

I was curious enough about what would have happened if Blackie had been under Amarth that I asked the boffins at Stack Exchange about it. No replies yet, but I'm interested in seeing what would (theoretically) have happened if Blackie had been in a position to break, slow, or direct Amarth's fall.

http://rpg.stackexch...ing-heavy-in-dd

They explained in the episode that Blackie could only carry an certain weight and that Amarth exceeded that limit.

Yes, they did, and that was why Blackie couldn't carry Amarth's body up to the rest of the group after he had impacted into a railing with the force of one million meteors.

I was wondering what effect Levitate would have to mitigate the fall if Blackie had managed to intercept Amarth. If his limit was 100 lbs./level and Amarth weighed just over that limit, could they have fallen a lot more slowly or guided themselves into a passageway with minimal harm, or... ?

The apparent answer, though, is that there's no flex in Levitate for "hey this is over the limit but we're going to apply as much Levitate as we can to this," it's more "this is over the limit, so no Levitate for you," so either Blackie would have let him fall or they both would have died horribly anyway.

This is true but Sark countered with multiple rolls of a much higher percentage for Amarth to grab the rail or rope..... So the percentages were actually waaaaay in Amarth's favor. Maybe Brian needed more time for his NOT Mr Show tour!!!!

RIP you big beautiful Barabarian bastard!!!!!

HH

That's true. He had a little better than 70% chance of making one of those three dex checks, which is itself a little weird.

Oh this episode!!! Sark really loves to DM and it shows. While it isn't the job of the DM to kill the characters he certainly doesn't make them survive a botched roll or silly mistake like some DM's I have had in the past who would have fudged a roll to make Amarth survive.

Can't wait to see the fan art for this one!

I just posted this in the fan art forum. Not heavy on the humor, but I thought it caught the "Oh crap" vibe fairly well.

tumblr_muixjfyEzB1rb2941o1_500.jpg

• Like 8

Why not toss the corpse in stargoyle until they figure out a way to revive him, or we get a montage of amarth frolicking in glineshmore?

Let me start by saying that I totally understand winging things and that the rules are just there as a guideline. In the end it's all about having a good time, which the Nerd Poker gang always does. That said there were a few things in this episode that were a little curious to me.

The one that got me first was that there is a skill that specifically includes climbing that wasn't used for the check. Normally not a big deal, except that Amarth was trained in that skill and would have had a significant bonus to his checks. The one that really sticks in my head, however, is that the guys haven't leveled up in forever. I can't help but wonder if Amarth would have had enough HP to survive the fall if Sark had given in to their numerous requests to level up.

Either way, like I said, in D&D it's always the DM's world, and what he says is final. As long as everyone is having a fun game, then that's all that matters. Love the show, guys, can't wait to see what happens next week!

Sign in to follow this