🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
tylersmith86

Upside Down

I like Kirsten Dunst, but this movie I found very long and boring. Nothing over the top crazy other then the plotline of another city upside-down above us, but that's it. I was looking forward to seeing this movie. but was really let down. it's too bad.

Holy shit they need to do this movie. It looks really good, but the story makes no sense what so ever. The have laws that are clearly established in the opening lines of the movie and are enforced or not based on the needs of the story and a lot of times at the same time.

I just saw this movie last night and it was hilariously awful. It would definitely make a great episode.

Wow, I never heard of this movie. Just watched the trailer. How many keyboards do you reckon the writers went through? You know, on account of the heavy-handedness.

This is the type of movie I am convinced was written with a near constant erection.

The ten minutes of voice over that opens the movie explains the upside down worlds and dual opposing gravities and two circular planets that are somehow the same distance from each other no matter where you go and the rich ("up top") vs. poor ("down below") worlds (an allegory for our times) and the Romeo and Juliet relationship and pretty much everything you'd need to know to watch this thing, saving absolutely no discoveries for the viewer to learn along the way. While I searched frantically for the syllabus to this class I don't remember signing up for, the voiceover continued with the line, "And then there was the secret of the magic bees…" and I turned it off.

• Like 2

The ten minutes of voice over that opens the movie explains the upside down worlds and dual opposing gravities and two circular planets that are somehow the same distance from each other no matter where you go and the rich ("up top") vs. poor ("down below") worlds (an allegory for our times) and the Romeo and Juliet relationship and pretty much everything you'd need to know to watch this thing, saving absolutely no discoveries for the viewer to learn along the way. While I searched frantically for the syllabus to this class I don't remember signing up for, the voiceover continued with the line, "And then there was the secret of the magic bees…" and I turned it off.

Honestly, it's worth watching all the way through once. A lot of things are never really explained, or explained well at least, but it is still kind of fun to watch. There were a few moments where I was genuinely laughing my ass off because of how ridiculous it all was. One moment in particular, involving a paper airplane, had my friends and I completely losing our minds.

NOT THE BEES!

Someone had to do it...

• Like 3

NOT THE BEES!

Someone had to do it...

Absolutely, I would have been disappointed if someone hadn't.

Okay...I am watching this now. 10 mins in and have already had a few head scratching moments.

Such as the voice over saying they have twin, double planets. So...wouldn't that be four planets?

Also, what's up with his great Aunt, who evidentially loves him, not adopting him? She lives in a huge house by herself with fruit just laying on the table top. What an asshole...

• Like 1

This movie makes Elysium look subtle and understated.

I don't get the configuration. They're supposed to be two planets really close together right? But planets are spheres and one world appears to cover the whole sky of the other. Only a tiny part of the worlds should be close to each other. I know that from the ground you can only send a signal approx 32 miles because after that the curvature of the earth gets in the way. Do they just happen to live where the two worlds are closest? It can't be because 75% of the movie takes place in a city as dense as Manhattan, while the other 25% takes place in the wilderness where there's a spot that people from the two worlds can talk to each other.

And then he says that when matter from one world comes in contact with matter from the other it eventually burns, but world's two matters come into contact all the freaking time and for extended periods. Plus wouldn't you run the risk of having a fire start in your stomach by eating something from the other world? It's as if the filmmaker gave you a set of rules like you're a 4 year old incapable of even giving them the mildest scrutiny and then said "because I said so." This movie doesn't even make sense according to its own terms.

I also don't get how the upper world has control over the lower world other than "because corporations grrrr." In some ways this is like the inverse of a Kirk Cameron movie, although only slightly less bad.

Sign in to follow this