🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
tim atkin

Earwolf needs to stop giving up on their podcasts!!!

So many good podcasts that just stopped being produced and they keep adding new stuff that you can tell will be dropped eventually. Most recently, Shots Fired got dropped, and think of how many shows are no more. mike Detective, Glitter in the Garbage, the Reality Show Show(never mind the spinoff, that will probably get dropped), Owen & TJ Read the News, ear drop, the Wolf Den, Shortwave, Love, Dad; Affirmation Nation. And MRE. I could see the fogelnest files getting cancelled even thoughts amazing. Fuck, I love you earwolf, but come on! Fuck. Earwolf has been my favorite entertainment source for years. For four yeas even! But they are consistently testing my patience with canceling amazing content. And now they are dropping my favorite podcast of all, Shots Fired!! Ps: what's the deal with Totally Laime? They didn't renew their contract but it is still on this website? What is the point of that. Anyway, whatever. your thoughts on all of this? I'd like to hear from you great folks.

• Like 3

Hi Tim - Let me clarify, at length.

Mike Detective - I would love more Mike Detective. Scott (Aukerman) and Neil Campbell are the writers and have been pre-occupied with writing 30 episodes of CBB TV. We all want more Mike Detective but aren't going to get it and thems the breaks. We certainly didn't drop the show.

The Reality Show Show - Sean and Hayes came to us and asked if they could do a different show. We said, "You are brilliant, yes, please do." So they now do Hollywood Handbook (not a spinoff, a new show). Again, not dropped. And to say that the new show "will probably get dropped" isn't true.

Owen & TJ Read the News - Still a show. It comes out very infrequently. Something to do with Adam McKay working on Anchorman 2. We wish it came out weekly. Again, not dropped.

The Wolf Den - I was the host. I have stopped doing the show. I didn't drop my own show, I got too busy to do it regularly. So I stopped. Not dropped.

Love, Dad - Dave Koechner came to me (as the other host) and said, "I'm sorry but I'm too busy and about to leave for 4 months to shoot Anchorman 2 (blame Adam McKay) and can't continue to do the show." Once again, I didn't drop my own show, it was the talent not able to continue.

Shortwave - Grant said the show just took too much time to do it well and he didn't want to do it poorly. We agreed and parted as friends. We did not drop the show.

Affirmation Nation - Seth did the show Monday through Friday. Then, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Then, he couldn't do it anymore. I've asked several times and each time he politely says he doesn't have time. I miss that show so much. So much. We did not drop it.

Gelmania - Brett called me and said they wanted to do something different and independently. I said of course and wished him and Cyrus the best of luck. We are still friends.

Glitter in the Garbage - We did the show for one year. It never really developed an audience and the listenership started small and decreased from there. We felt like one year was a good enough time to give the show and I just saw Drew on Thursday. He is lovely and we're still friends.

Shots Fired - Again, we did the show for a year. We put a ton of effort and resources into that show. Unfortunately, as good as it is, we just couldn't find it an audience. It's not a typical Earwolf show in that regard. I like Jeff and James and their show so much I may have found it a new home (we'll see). That's the best we can do. And Jeff and James and I are on very, very good terms.

Cyber Thug Radio - We couldn't agree on contract terms which happens all over the world every day. No hard feelings. They even came back to do a third episode where they tore me a new one - and it was my idea! We had fun.

Totally Laime - I have no idea what you are talking about. After the year was up, I met with Elizabeth and said we'd love to continue putting the show out. And we are. They are welcome for as long as it's valuable to them.

Fogelnest Files - Why would you think we are "dropping" it? That's just crazy talk. We just had the episode with Fallon featured on iTunes a few months ago, why would we use up such a valuable promotional tool on a show we are going to stop doing?

My point here is that by and large, we don't "drop" shows. Occasionally, yes. It's necessary and sucks. But if you compare us to any other producer, our track record is pretty phenomenal. Unfortunately, it's often the artists who aren't able to continue doing their shows.

We will stop doing shows in the future, I'm not saying we won't, but please at least be fair with your accusations. We care very much about each of our shows and never want a single one to end, for any reason.

• Like 20

How dare you get involved with super talented people who are in demand in the entertainment industry and can't commit to recording a podcast every week in perpetuity!

• Like 7

I can't believe sme shows get dropped for numbers, while stuff like Yo Is This Racist, and Nocturnal Emotions stays afloat. They actually pull in good numbers?

• Like 2

I can't believe sme shows get dropped for numbers, while stuff like Yo Is This Racist, and Nocturnal Emotions stays afloat. They actually pull in good numbers?

I feel like you can get a sense of how popular a show is by looking at the comments/forum activity associated with each show, true. But also, you don't need a ton of activity to be profitable (or rather, not lose money). If anyone can succcessfully do a show in their spare time, or for practically nothing, I imagine they're "less of a target" to be made redundant than something that requires the engineers and whanot.

• Like 1

I'd like Jeff to explain why Earwolf canceled 'The Norm MacDonald Podcast' after only 11 episodes. Norm is hilarious! Not to mention The Pod F Tompkast and Dead Author's Podcast. Come on, Earwolf, PFT is hilarious and don't give me any BS about how he's on CBB and DLM all the time! And why in the world would you cancel 'The History of Rome'? That podcast had more than a hundred episodes and was beloved! And don't even get me started on why I haven't seen any new Calvin and Hobbes in 18 years... Jeff!

Clearly your failure to mention these specifically is just a hope to sweep them under the rug because you're jerks and don't want us to have things we love. For free.

• Like 2

I feel like you can get a sense of how popular a show is by looking at the comments/forum activity associated with each show, true. But also, you don't need a ton of activity to be profitable (or rather, not lose money). If anyone can succcessfully do a show in their spare time, or for practically nothing, I imagine they're "less of a target" to be made redundant than something that requires the engineers and whanot.

I was going off more of the iTunes reviews and chart positions of those 2 shows that I mentioned, both of which are poor. Or at least Yo Is This Racist has ver poor ratings, what little reviews they have are mostly one star, and I don't think it's ever been a top 100 ranked show. But you're right, it probably doesn't take much for that one to be profitable.

Doesn't really sound like you love Earwolf...

You got me! I hate earwolf!

No.

Actually I've been a huge fan for years, and recently it has disappointed me a lot, I have always found that a true fan of a certain media is not a yes man, but is able to nit pick, analyze, and see when certain aspects are not perfect of the media in question.

I have always found that a true fan of a certain media is not a yes man, but is able to nit pick, analyze, and see when certain aspects are not perfect of the media in question.

A true fan would probably thank Jeff for taking all that time to explain what's going on. A true fan would also apologise for being as spectacularly badly wrong as you were about so many Earwolf shows.

• Like 8

A true fan would probably thank Jeff for taking all that time to explain what's going on. A true fan would also apologise for being as spectacularly badly wrong as you were about so many Earwolf shows.

I did, asshole, cuz I talked to him on his q&a thread.

I still want to know why Earwolf canceled Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I know it had a rough patch in that 2nd season, but I really loved that show.

• Like 6

I did, asshole, cuz I talked to him on his q&a thread.

Fair enough snugglebuns. You'll understand if it seemed weird that you hadn't responded in this thread though.

Sign in to follow this