🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Darian

The Legend of Hercules AKA Hercules: The Legend Begins (2014)

So let me see if I can figure out the pitch for this movie.

"Let's mix scenes from Gladiator and 300, then throw in a bit of Braveheart, and finally barely address the mythology of the character by having some supernatural stuff."

Wow Renny Harlin has gone downhill.

"Let's mix scenes from Gladiator and 300, then throw in a bit of Braveheart, and finally barely address the mythology of the character by having some supernatural stuff."

Film is clearly ripping off the iconic scenes and style from every greek epic adaption in the last 10 years. The thing that is most mind-boggling though, is the forced attachment to Hercules. This has nothing to do with Hercules. That's actually pretty incredible that one can make a film about Hercules, arguably the mythological character with the most stories, and fail to even accidentally reference the source material. The individual labors themselves could be, and have been, independent films. How is it possible that this movie exists and yet manages to have NOTHING to do with the pantheon of Hercules tales?

Film is clearly ripping off the iconic scenes and style from every greek epic adaption in the last 10 years.  The thing that is most mind-boggling though, is the forced attachment to Hercules.  This has nothing to do with Hercules.  That's actually pretty incredible that one can make a film about Hercules, arguably the mythological character with the most stories, and fail to even accidentally reference the source material.  The individual labors themselves could be, and have been, independent films.  How is it possible that this movie exists and yet manages to have NOTHING to do with the pantheon of Hercules tales?

That's Hollywood for you. Or I should say low budget Hollywood.

That's Hollywood for you. Or I should say low budget Hollywood.

But, doesn't that lend itself moreso to borrowing from the source?  Like, I get the concept of this film was to simply cash-in on all the set-pieces from previous films that were awesome...but why Hercules?  There is simply a wealth of tales in the Hercules boat and connections to other epics...you barely even have to try...WHY is this called Hercules: The Legend Begins?!I kinda want a HDTGM now, because I want someone involved to explain this.Edit: My point is, that this film is forcing the Hercules thing, even though it has nothing to do with Hercules.  That's bizarre and retarded!  There are volumes on Hercules!  He is an ancillary character in multiple tales!  It's very EASY to make a cheap Hercules movie that has some loose relevance to the man of myth.

I'm sorry, but there's already a movie about the early days of Hercules...

That Renny Harlin thing looks like a fucking hate crime.

But, doesn't that lend itself moreso to borrowing from the source? Like, I get the concept of this film was to simply cash-in on all the set-pieces from previous films that were awesome...but why Hercules? There is simply a wealth of tales in the Hercules boat and connections to other epics...you barely even have to try...WHY is this called Hercules: The Legend Begins?!I kinda want a HDTGM now, because I want someone involved to explain this.Edit: My point is, that this film is forcing the Hercules thing, even though it has nothing to do with Hercules. That's bizarre and retarded! There are volumes on Hercules! He is an ancillary character in multiple tales! It's very EASY to make a cheap Hercules movie that has some loose relevance to the man of myth.

Honestly, with how it's been reported how this movie has been rushed through production, it seems they are going "The Asylum" route by having a movie with a similar character or story come out before a major blockbuster. In this case, this movie is trying to make money off the hype for the Rock's Hercules movie.

Honestly, with how it's been reported how this movie has been rushed through production, it seems they are going "The Asylum" route by having a movie with a similar character or story come out before a major blockbuster. In this case, this movie is trying to make money off the hype for the Rock's Hercules movie.

The Rock is featuring in a Hercules film? I had not heard this. That sounds HDTGM worthy too. I like the guy, and he is actually a really good actor...but I don't see him selling Hercules.

"Get in my chariot if you wanna live!"

"You're a praetorian and I am not a praetorian. How can we possibly find a common ground? Praetorians, am I right?" <-- Delivered by Chris Rock.

The Rock is featuring in a Hercules film? I had not heard this. That sounds HDTGM worthy too. I like the guy, and he is actually a really good actor...but I don't see him selling Hercules.

"Get in my chariot if you wanna live!"

"You're a praetorian and I am not a praetorian. How can we possibly find a common ground? Praetorians, am I right?" <-- Delivered by Chris Rock.

The Rock is featuring in a Hercules film?

I don't know how you could not of heard about it, Hercules: The Thracian Wars

Dwayne Johnson been twittering about his power meals getting built up for the making of this Hercules film.

In addition to everything else, the title sucks. I honestly thought this was a thread about the Kevin Sorbo series, and had to look up what the actual title of that series was to alleviate my confusion.

I get the concept of this film was to simply cash-in on all the set-pieces from previous films that were awesome...but why Hercules?

I know you're asking why it's called "Hercules" even though it looks like it has nothing to do with the legends, but I'll just say that it's the same reason there are so many things being made now that are based on Frankenstein, Snow White, The Wizard of Oz and whatever fairy tales: It's all in the public domain, which means instant name recognition without having to pay for licensing fees.

In fairness, has he really ever been uphill? He's made maybe three or four decent movies and a whole bunch of crap.

In addition to everything else, the title sucks. I honestly thought this was a thread about the Kevin Sorbo series, and had to look up what the actual title of that series was to alleviate my confusion.

I know you're asking why it's called "Hercules" even though it looks like it has nothing to do with the legends, but I'll just say that it's the same reason there are so many things being made now that are based on Frankenstein, Snow White, The Wizard of Oz and whatever fairy tales: It's all in the public domain, which means instant name recognition without having to pay for licensing fees.

In fairness, has he really ever been uphill? He's made maybe three or four decent movies and a whole bunch of crap.

I get the public domain thing. My point is that Hercules is a fount of epicness. This has nothing to do with Hercules. How is that possible?! It's like striking a diamond vein, but struggling for knock-off gold. It's not even comparable. It's really bizarre.

• Like 1

I get the public domain thing. My point is that Hercules is a fount of epicness. This has nothing to do with Hercules. How is that possible?! It's like striking a diamond vein, but struggling for knock-off gold. It's not even comparable. It's really bizarre.

I think I know what you mean. If you're deciding to make a Hercules flick, you can probably just think up a story right off the top of your head and come up with something that actually makes sense or falls in line with the character or mythology, even if it's by complete accident, but THIS looks like they're actively going out of their way to make NOT Hercules.

• Like 1

A guy in a European brown bear/grizzly bear/they can't fucking decide what kind of bear suit (moving suspiciously like a guy in a gorilla suit) gets repeatedly punched in the face after escaping from Central Park Zoo and interrupting Hercules's carriage ride right as he was about to score some hot 1970's tail. This is still a more believable Hercules film...

• Like 1

A guy in a European brown bear/grizzly bear/they can't fucking decide what kind of bear suit (moving suspiciously like a guy in a gorilla suit) gets repeatedly punched in the face after escaping from Central Park Zoo and interrupting Hercules's carriage ride right as he was about to score some hot 1970's tail. This is still a more believable Hercules film...

Those 3-4 movies were it. Nightmare on Elm Street 4, Cliffhanger, Die Hard 2, and Long Kiss Goodnight were his peaks if you will, but everything in between and since Long Kiss have been valleys and all out landslides. Hell there could be 3-4 good HDTGM episodes based on his movies (Cutthroat Island, Deep Blue Sea, Driven, and Mindhunters).

Those 3-4 movies were it. Nightmare on Elm Street 4, Cliffhanger, Die Hard 2, and Long Kiss Goodnight were his peaks if you will, but everything in between and since Long Kiss have been valleys and all out landslides. Hell there could be 3-4 good HDTGM episodes based on his movies (Cutthroat Island, Deep Blue Sea, Driven, and Mindhunters).

I think his only high profile gig in like the last decade was version 2.0 of the "Exorcist" prequel, and the story behind that is more interesting than either of the films themselves. "Mindhunters" had about the smallest wide release you could have the following year, but that doesn't really count, because we were the last ones to get it after it had already been released in every other country on the planet, and even before that, the film had been completed and sitting on the shelf since (and I'm just guessing here) about 1947 or so. Oh wow, I was just looking at Harlin's filmography again, and I'd forgotten that he'd done the John Cena-starring WWE-produced "12 Rounds", as well as the truly HDTGM-worthy "The Covenant". If I didn't get to see everything for free, I would have skipped that, but I'm glad I didn't, because it ranked right up there with "88 Minutes" in terms of great after hours movie watching with the other theater employees. "The Covenant" is an unintentional comedy classic...from what I remember of it...

I think his only high profile gig in like the last decade was version 2.0 of the "Exorcist" prequel, and the story behind that is more interesting than either of the films themselves. "Mindhunters" had about the smallest wide release you could have the following year, but that doesn't really count, because we were the last ones to get it after it had already been released in every other country on the planet, and even before that, the film had been completed and sitting on the shelf since (and I'm just guessing here) about 1947 or so. Oh wow, I was just looking at Harlin's filmography again, and I'd forgotten that he'd done the John Cena-starring WWE-produced "12 Rounds", as well as the truly HDTGM-worthy "The Covenant". If I didn't get to see everything for free, I would have skipped that, but I'm glad I didn't, because it ranked right up there with "88 Minutes" in terms of great after hours movie watching with the other theater employees. "The Covenant" is an unintentional comedy classic...from what I remember of it...

What the fuck? This site's been acting weird for me lately, like taking really long to post, which probably plays into why my last post showed up THREE times. Sorry about that.

Yeah I think with whatever upgrade they did is still having some bugs. Also, have they permanently changed to Wednesday for new episodes or is it scheduling problems again like how it took almost a month for the Tiptoes episode to come out?

What the fuck? This site's been acting weird for me lately, like taking really long to post, which probably plays into why my last post showed up THREE times. Sorry about that.

The site is having a lot of problems in the past week. Yesterday the toolbar wasn't loading. today it's a bit slow.

Sign in to follow this