🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Wien

Assault on Wall Street

I'm just going to paste what I wrote on my Facebook, after having just watched this on Netflix instant:

15 minutes into Uwe Boll's Assault on Wall Street. So far....

....I can honestly tell that this is an honest, tried and true effort on Boll's part to craft a legitimate, heartfelt narrative. And to be perfectly honest, its not at all one of the worst attempts at it that i have seen, I will credit him that. We will see how it unfolds as the action builds up, but so far.... some positive equity has been established.

Its a 14% on RT, though. So it is obviously his magnum opus.

and

Ok so. This movie is a slow, cold, long burn. Its called Assault on Wall Street, but the assault doesn't occur until 1 hour and 15 mins into a 1 hour and 30 min film. The time spent before it is all spent towards making you feel sympathetic with the character's eventual turn (more on that in a sec). It does a pretty good job of that, at first (I think all the acting in this is actually fairly good)... but it squanders it with its bad pacing issues and its amoral leaps to the extreme.

Which leads to the "hero"'s turn. Once the assault does occur, this movie has a real tone problem. All of the positive equity that was built up earlier for our sympathies was burnt out on the long montage build up to this point. He ends up seeming exactly like he really is; a mass murderer. But the film tries real hard to keep his hero image, including even playing some fast pace, almost heroic action music during these scenes. Its kind of disturbing, especially when coupled with the fact that this guy just walks into an office of middle aged, balding salarymen and blows them all away with guns and shrapnel grenades. At no point does he ever try to defend himself from anything, one guy tries to run and he chases them down and shoots them! Before that happens, though, he sees that one of his would be victims has a wife and kid and graciously tells him to go home to his wife. So he spares that guy, buy what about all the other people with families? Was that supposed to be his "save the cat" moment?? Its just an uneven, disturbing tone that doesn't lend itself well to sympathy. I know we're all supposed to be like "Yeah! Fuck bankers! Kill em all!", but sheesh...

Uwe Boll, bless his twisted German heart, he tried his hardest. He really did, and it really shows. This is by far his best work yet. It feels like a real, decently budgeted, decently shot, decently edited, well acted film. Its just not very well written, poorly paced, and unbalanced and confused in its themes. If he spent more of his professional career trying to make films like this, he likely would have mastered it by now and would probably have a decent cache of well made movies to his name. Ah well, guess we all gotta start somewhere.

This looks almost watchable am I mistaken? it looks like a real movie, unlike in the name of the king that looks like a high-school production video with real actors.

This looks almost watchable am I mistaken? it looks like a real movie, unlike in the name of the king that looks like a high-school production video with real actors.

To my shock, it IS watchable.

Its not very enjoyable, but it is watchable.

I watched this movie last night, Wien. It was shocklly good,I really enjoyed it. you would never know it was the same director as the name of the king.

are you guys sure that Uwe Boll isn't just a new version of allen smithy. now that we all know about him, no one can use the name as a way to get out of a film credit.

Not over the top crazy so I am not sure why or what it is you saw in this film that made you want to recommend it. but thanks anyway for bring this movie to my attection. Uwe Boll is now clearly making bettter movies but he sure had a long time to get better at it.

Sign in to follow this