🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
BeingAllFishies

Father's Day (1997)

We might need a bit of a rest before another Robin-Williams-fest, but I bet y'all could have a lot of fun with this ludicrous movie. Annoying 90s kids, implausible neuroses, dumb character motivation and impossible coincidences. Billy Crystal just can't sigh and exasperatedly flap his arms hard enough. Love it.

Maybe for next Father's Day?

This movies 100% needs to be done. The premise alone is fucking bananas.

A woman worried about her missing horrid child, decides that instead of looking for the kid herself or sending his actual father, she is going to instead LIE to two different ex boyfriends about them having a son.

How this movie ended without crystal or williams delivering a savage uppercut to that woman is mind-boggling.

Also worth noting that the band Sugar Ray has an inexplicable cameo in the movie.

And that was JUST before we were subjected to hearing about how much Mark McGrath wanted to fly, for the rest of the year and the remainder of the decade. Jesus, that song just wouldn't go away...

Not to be confused with the Troma distributed movie of the same name. Although that one is 100 times more insane than this one, I think it might have too many graphic depictions of people getting their dick chewed off for it to be a good candidate.

Not to be confused with the Troma distributed movie of the same name. Although that one is 100 times more insane than this one, I think it might have too many graphic depictions of people getting their dick chewed off for it to be a good candidate.

Are you sure you're not confusing it with "Mother's Day?"

When you look at this film in 1997, you thought that some big names like Robin Williams, Billy Crystal, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Nastassja Kinski, and being directed by Ivan Reitman would be a big hit, plus it was also a remake of French film by Francis Veber. Unfortunately, this turned out to be a crushing blow for everyone involved as Fathers' Day failed to bring back even a third of its $85 million budget and was poorly received by critics. It even got a Razzie nomination for Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Worst Supporting Actress, but luckily she lost that year to Alicia Silverstone for Batman and Robin.

And I also wanted to point out that Mel Gibson even had an uncredited cameo as a tattoo artist, but I don't think he would even want to talk about his existence in this film.

When you look at this film in 1997, you thought that some big names like Robin Williams, Billy Crystal, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Nastassja Kinski, and being directed by Ivan Reitman would be a big hit, plus it was also a remake of French film by Francis Veber. Unfortunately, this turned out to be a crushing blow for everyone involved as Fathers' Day failed to bring back even a third of its $85 million budget and was poorly received by critics. It even got a Razzie nomination for Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Worst Supporting Actress, but luckily she lost that year to Alicia Silverstone for Batman and Robin.

And I also wanted to point out that Mel Gibson even had an uncredited cameo as a tattoo artist, but I don't think he would even want to talk about his existence in this film.

You've said more about this film than anyone else has since 1997. Billy Crystal himself probably hasn't dedicated that much thought to it. I mean, it's no "My Giant", that's for sure...

Wow. Wow. Did I not notice that, or have I just blocked it from my memory?

I remember seeing this a while back and was confounded by how either of these guys could fall her the ex's horseshit story. Also with Sugar Ray, let's not forget that McGrath was wearing I believe bright green pants and was basically playing himself as a total asshole. If you need more proof there was a video from a couple years ago where he drunkenly starts yelling at fans and wanting to fight them after someone called the band "Sugar Gay."

Watched this the other day, Robins intro scene in the movie profoundly bummed me out. Also the mom in this movie is up there in assholishness level with Chris Pratt in Passengers.

Sign in to follow this