🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SamPrus

Transylvania 6-5000 (1985)

Any movie where Jeff Goldblum, Ed Begley, Jr., and Norman Fell share a scene must be done. This could be a November movie because true story: I saw this at the theater on my 11th birthday in November 1985. My sister got her period so bad that day she passed out, dented the wall and had to be taken away in an ambulance. Then I went to see this movie. I'm so glad it's on Netflix.

Thanks!

• Like 2

That's pretty amazing. It sounds like your sister had something really serious going on and just everyone involved was rolling their eyes.

Paramedic: "She made THIS dent in the wall? And just passed out like that? She's probably having what we call a 'her period'. Go watch a movie or something and pick her up in an hour. That Jeff Goldblum thing is supposed to be pretty goofy. I would totally go with you guys, but I got this unconcious drama queen with the head injury over here..."

• Like 1

I vaguely remember this one, but I always get it mixed up with the also-bad Transylvania Twist.

Here's the trailer.

Then a year later, Geena and Jeff made the Fly. Now THAT'S a great double feature.

An example of how the 1980s were great: Transylvania 6-500 (1985) is not the only insane sci-fi/horror sexy comedy starring Academy Award nominee Jeff Goldbum and Academy Award WINNER Geena Davis, the other being Earth Girls are Easy (1988). The Fly, it's own brand of sex/horror/sci-fi miscogenation, occurred IN BETWEEN these two films. This could not happen now. And I love all of these movies, for vastly different reasons.

Transylvania 6-5000 is probably the... least good out of the three mentioned, so is probably best suited for this show.

OH YES.

Jeff Goldblum and Ed Begley, Jr. must travel to Transylvania as reporters...

TO FIND DRACULA AND FRAKENSTEIN AND STUFF!

Michael Richards is there, Gena Davis is there!

20% on RT.

ON NETFLIX NOW!

Formerly Ugly Hattie: Ooh, bazonkers! I never counted on bazonkers.

[grabs her bazonkers]

This movie is "Next level, Bazonkers!"

• Like 2

*BUMP*

WOW. Watched this last night. Blew my mind that I recognized basically EVERYONE in this movie and had never heard about it... So many actors that went on to have prolific, award-winning careers. And yet it's bananas. Like a monster movie about every single creature cliche and everything is painfully weird. Full of great crazy lines. But it comes around to finally making sense in the 3rd act at which point it actually gets genuinely hilarious. I belly laughed so hard my damn step-counter pushed a notification saying I reached my goal for the day lol. Reminded me a lot of Nothing But Trouble but in romania, less upsetting and actually funny.

transylvania_6-5000_4.jpg

• Like 1

This was one of those PG movies that parents back in the day would rent for us along with a rental VCR, because the whole process was too cumbersome and expensive for us children to be trusted with important choices like which videos to rent.

Oh you poor thing. I find that genuinely upsetting. Where's the right to choose?? Picking out rental movies at the local shop was seriously one of my biggest joys as a kid... and you got this non sense lol, BAZONKERS!

I was reminded of this movie today. And after a search here, it deserves a bump. BUMP

I don’t know why but this bomb of a movie just came to mind. I remember it used to be on all the time on HBO back in the day. I imagine it’s rather bad lol.

True story, per Wikipedia: This movie got made because the Dow Chemical Company had a giant pile of money parked in Yugoslavian banks which they could not transfer out. Legally, though, they could "invest" the money in a film shot within the country, thus laundering it back to America. 

A landmark answer to the question How Did This Get Made?

Just watched this last weekend and it should be done if only for the insane amount of people in this cast. Add to that the batshit plot along with the fact that Geena Davis at one point gets so into her horny vampire role that her boobs are almost popping out of her outfit as she womanhandles Begley Jr. Then you have Michael Richards' puppet routine and the dad from Beetlejuice as a weirdo mayor, this movie is made for this podcast.

My favorite vaguely related story is from Rob Schrab on Harmontown of him missing out on seeing Back to the Future in theaters to go see Transylvania 6-5000 because he loved Jeff Goldblum. "I could see Michael J Fox on tv!" And he remembers absolutely loving it. "Every joke landed"

Sign in to follow this