🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
dunstarred

To Live and Die in LA

Yeah, it's a movie I have mixed feelings about but it is very well made and came out exactly as it was supposed to. Are you sure you aren't thinking of Alien From LA?

• Like 1

To_Live_and_Die_in_L.A..jpg

Right from the start this movie is a stinker. The soundtrack is by Wang Chung. The leads are the guy from CSI and the guy from Monkey Shines. Things are constantly happening without explanation or any buildup whatsoever. The plot is sort of handled like an afterthought that you're left to piece together from terrible dialog after events transpire. The pacing is god awful and feels like there was no script, just a frantic pitch turned into a movie. The opening credits, showcasing 1980's Los Angeles, feature a donkey-drawn carriage surrounded by Mexican immigrants. The first time we see CSI guy and his old partner(who somehow climbs the sheer glass walls of a hotel like Spider-Man) in action a Muslim terrorist's bombing "plot" is thwarted by throwing him off a building(by his crotch) and said terrorist's vest bomb(which is clearly made of road flares) just exploding the side of a hotel, which is IMMEDIATELY followed by CSI guy and old guy just nonchalantly deciding to go play cards and get hammered. And guess what? Yup, old guy is just a few days from retirement. Oh, and in case you were wondering who the hell these guys are, it takes about 15 minutes for it to be explained that these terrorism-busters are Secret Service.

This movie is hilariously dated and bad, but what makes it worse is that it's from the guy who made The French Connection. Seriously.

It is dated and I'm not a big fan of it, but it isn't HDTGM bad. That said, there is already a thread for this one, I believe.

I used the search function and no thread showed up. That said, this movie OPENS with a man scaling a sheer building to throw a terrorist off a roof BY HIS CROTCH.

I'm sorry, but this is actually a pretty good movie. Probably a more worthy entry in William Friedkin's canon to be recommended for the show would be either The Guardian or Jade, because those are pretty bad.

Okay, this movie is somewhat critically acclaimed. I just watched it again having not seen it in years and it does not hold up to the test of time. All I can say is watch it for the most bizarre Willem Defoe performance ever and the chance to see William Peterson play a secret service agent who is all cock all the time. I promise you won't regret it.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this