🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 250 — Podcast Silence

I absolutely love CBB. Unfortunately the guests can be hit or miss. Pete Holmes is a total miss. I've been on the fence about You Made It Weird for a while now, because Holmes breaks the cardinal rule of comedy (at least to me): don't laugh at yourself. Pete Holmes thinks Pete Holmes is hilarious. He is not. Between his laugh, bad impressions (intentionally bad... I get it) and overly verbose, interrupting style... I have no clue how this guy got his own show.

Sorry Pete. You're not funny. You can practically hear the disdain dripping from Scott's tongue. Good job staying professional Scott. I could tell Pete was annoying you.

See you Thursday or next week CBB!

Also for a good studio ep, the recent Chris Gethard ep is one of my favorite podcast eps I have ever heard from any podcast

Yeah, this was really, really great.

I liked this episode a lot, but I can see how non-Weirdos wouldn't like it. Gabrus was great. Murphy's character was funny, but felt like it was leading to a twist or deeper level that never came.

Gabrus saying "It's OK, I said neggah" was BRILLIANT.

As someone who does not enjoy Pete Holmes, I came here first to figure out whether or not I was going to listen this week. If there are other people who are annoyed by him, what's the verdict? Is it too much Pete Holmes to be enjoyable, or is there enough of The Choctaw and co. to make it through without being aggravated.

I don't have anything against him, he seems like a nice guy but I had to switch over to Sklarbro Country for today. It's just to much for me, I had to change it only about 15 mins in. Just too over the top IMO.

I feel like Pete is like olives, or mustard, or fruit on pizza.

The people who love love love him and the people who HATE him are about 50/50

• Like 8

I'm so crushed by all the Pete hate in this thread. I thought the general consensus of Earwolf listeners liked Pete.

I mean I guess I can see why people don't think he's a match for CBB. Pete is a host, be it in podcast or TV. He's not a guest type of person so I guess I can see his enthusiasm to cut in might be off putting. But he is genuinely funny. Pete just seemed really happy and excited to be involved in this episode, and it's really sad that people are reacting to his excitement so negatively.

• Like 3

Pete would genuinely be funny if he let his material land, and wasn't so insistent on being the first one to laugh at it.

But don't be "crushed". You're right, the guy is a host. He's not an improviser, which is a huge part of CBB. It makes sense that he has his own show, since basically in his mind, it's all The Pete Holmes Show.

Guy needs some humility. In all the episodes I've listened to of YMIW, it all comes back to him. What he thinks. What he does. It's boring. And no one likes someone who talks that much about themselves.

Not trying to be mean. I'm just completely over Holmes after this episode. He needs to CALM. DOWN. and listen to people.

• Like 4

Pete Holmes is excited by Pete Holmes. His standup is fine, not particularly distinctive, but well-crafted. But he's a disaster in this format. CBB is an improv show, and Pete is just selfish. The spirit of the show was lost on him, it seemed. Gabrus and Murphy were stuck being one-note stereotypes (albeit hilarious ones) because any time they would attempt to expand on their characters or heighten the scenarios he would be like, "Hey, I wonder what Jerry Seinfeld would say in this situation?" and then burst out into thirty seconds of Joker-laughter, completely derailing anything.

I should stop. I hate it when people hate on things that I love and I know a lot of people love Pete Holmes. I think he can be funny--his appearance on HDTGM is a highlight--but he ruined a potentially great episode to me and came across as totally self absorbed.

EDIT: Ok, one more thing. Doesn't Pete realize that people haven't been impressed by Robin Williams, Jerry Seinfeld or Al Pacino impressions for like 10 years? How hack is that? And the fact that he insists upon inserting them in every podcast appearance is so insane.

• Like 2

Also not understanding all the hate being thrown at Pete. I enjoyed his energy because he seemed to be having a blast. Jon Gabrus really stole the show. He is killer!

• Like 3

Gabrus was definitely fantastic. He's becoming one of my favorite improvisers.

• Like 2

Maybe if Pete takes all of your suggestions and keeps working hard he'll eventually get really good and get his own TV show.

• Like 16

I don't have anything against him, he seems like a nice guy but I had to switch over to Sklarbro Country for today. It's just to much for me, I had to change it only about 15 mins in. Just too over the top IMO.

I have the exact opposite take.. I feel like I would not be able to stand Pete in real life, but damn is he funny. Seems like he tries his best to make me hate him, but dude is quick with the bon mots (ok, I don't know what that means...)

• Like 1

Domestic podcast abuse goes unreported everyday. Pete is really funny and I'm a big fan of his podcast and his stand up. I think he was just a little too amped up here and Scott maybe should have confronted him head on about his abrasive Pete-ness instead of dancing around it. When nobody addresses it, and Pete just keeps doing his thing, I totally get why that puts some people off.

• Like 2

I'm just glad Scott set the record straight cause I kinda assumed there was some animosity between the two. I mean since Scott is the only person in the world who hasn't been on YMiW, I mean I know he's private and respect that but I'd like to hear him on it.

I first heard Pete on Doug Loves Movies, where he acts like a petulant 3rd grader who forgot his medication...

Then I started in with You Made It Weird where he acts like a pensive, new age-y former hippie who tells jokes occasionally.

I love both Petes but I can get how he can irritate fans of the other comics onstage.

The part that makes me laugh the most about Pete is what converts him from Sweetie Petey to the raving lunatic is white wine, a beverage I picture being consumed over civilized, appropriately volumed polite conversation.

^ No better summation of Pete Holmes' less than finer qualities than that.

As for the show itself, I want to add that it points out how great Scott and the other guests are at making an interaction work. It's not fair to call CBB an improv scene, longform, or even an interview show. I think of it as an independently defined format that combines elements from those.

This truly is my favorite podcast. When I am busy, I still listen to this show as soon as I can, no matter what. Most others fall by the wayside as I have less free time.

But if you listen to this episode, you can feel everyone but Pete work themselves into the zone created by their various characters and roles. It's almost a physical thing just listening to it. But with Pete in the room, he seems to sense that everyone else is working for the group and is either incapable of joining in due to his limitations, or is too selfish to allow it.

He proceeds to force the group to work around him, and I think the listener can sense the change as it goes back and forth. What makes Scott, Gabrus, and Murphy real pros is that they are able to accommodate that and find a way to keep things on track.

Pete's personality seems to hinder collaboration, but good performers can make it just barely noticeable.

• Like 6

I will go on record to say that I don't know Pete Holmes, and so I don't hate him, but honestly, whatever it is that he does essentially is like constant nails on a chalkboard for me, to the point that it is actually difficult for me to understand how anyone can enjoy it. It's just that level of annoyance for me. That being said, I respect that people do enjoy his work, so he exists for them, more power to you all. I keep assuming I am missing something and so occasionally will try again with him, to only be annoyed again. I will give the tv show a chance though.

• Like 2

Anyone feeling frustrated at Pete's appearance today should just listen to this clip of Chelsea Peretti joyously describing in great detail how she would murder and bury Pete( r ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hY85v9e-hc

I enjoy Pete, and I still found this delightful.

I'm about a half hour into the podcast, and Gabrus is killing it, by the way. He's great.

More Gabrus, please. He was unstoppable in this episode. Here's to hoping he joins the ranks of the regular character guests.

I would love it if Garbrus came back to face off against Wompler in a battle of the interns

• Like 2