🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 250 — Podcast Silence

What!?! Just "Fall has truly fallen"? I demand a proper weather report, Scott! How will I know how Hollywood nights are going?! There's no other place to go for weather news! I want to compare how Octobers in Pennsylvania compare to Rocktober over there in Hollywood. Probably not well :)

• Like 1

I've heard some of Pete Holmes' standup and agree that he can be very, very funny although a bit too much over the top for my standup tastes. however, I think it's fair to say that that's the only venue in which he should ever perform. "doesn't play well with others"

on this CBB he was a bull in a china shop. destroying everything in his path. he just doesn't have an ounce of self restraint.

I'm with you. I don't hate Pete - I've heard him on other podcasts and he's fine (Doug Loves Movies, for instance) - but he was brutal here. His laugh alone steamrolled over other people's audio, and he laughed at almost everything he did -- he needs to learn from Paul F. Tompkins (among others) and MOVE AWAY FROM THE MIC when he's laughing. It's not hard, bro. I couldn't even finish this one, and what I did listen to was pretty annoying. It disrupts the flow of the show and the comedy.

While I don't instantly hate Mr. Holmes though, I will say this. I hate TBS for giving him a show over Jimmy Pardo. If anyone should've gotten a post-Conan TV Show, it should be him. Considering he does regular features on Conan's show already, such as the "Pardo Patrol" - so he's a known quantity on TBS - and is an excellent comedian regardless, he's an OBVIOUS choice to be spun off from Conan and follow that show up. It's great that they're doing more original programming, and giving shots to "comedy nerds' comedians" in lieu of airing crappy shows like The Office in syndication following Conan, I just don't see the logic in this particular move.

While I don't instantly hate Mr. Holmes though, I will say this. I hate TBS for giving him a show over Jimmy Pardo. If anyone should've gotten a post-Conan TV Show, it should be him. Considering he does regular features on Conan's show already, such as the "Pardo Patrol" - so he's a known quantity on TBS - and is an excellent comedian regardless, he's an OBVIOUS choice to be spun off from Conan and follow that show up. It's great that they're doing more original programming, and giving shots to "comedy nerds' comedians" in lieu of airing crappy shows like The Office in syndication following Conan, I just don't see the logic in this particular move.

Totally agree. Pardo's NNF was the first comedy podcast I ever got in to and still has probably the best traditional stand up show I've seen in person. I'm a big fan of that guy and was hoping his recent activity on Conan would get him in a position to be "next up" for a late night show. Don't have anything personal against Pete Holmes but Pardo was the obvious choice IMO.

• Like 1

Before Pete was on CBB, I was worried that he would take over and not collaborate with the characters if he ever came on, but I don't think that was the case. Gabrus was hilarious, and I think his performance could have been derailed if Holmes was too "Holmesian." I think everyone played off each other quite well in this episode.

Gabrus completely KILLED it in this episode. Really likeable character, great back-and-forth with Scott. Would love to hear more from this character in the future.

• Like 2

Wow, I haven't seen an outburst toward a specific guest like this since Lil' Gary.

All the people who are all butthurt, just put this out of your mind. Next week will be the Halloween show, and that likely means a return to Messmore and Beuford at Suicide House.

Oh, I wonder if there was any working in the lab since their last appearance.

Before Pete was on CBB, I was worried that he would take over and not collaborate with the characters if he ever came on, but I don't think that was the case. Gabrus was hilarious, and I think his performance could have been derailed if Holmes was too "Holmesian." I think everyone played off each other quite well in this episode.

Wait, people want Pete Holmes to calm down? Why have Pete Holmes on if you want him to be calm? That's ridiculous.

I agree with both of these, I loved it

And I equally love all the butthurt on the baord about the appearance

Gabrus completely KILLED it in this episode. Really likeable character, great back-and-forth with Scott. Would love to hear more from this character in the future.

Wompler is gonna be PISSED.

• Like 1

I feel that so-called "comics" who aren't funny, aren't collaborative and are actively grating need to be called out.

"Called out"? Jesus, these are free comedy podcasts, they're not homophobes or vegans or anything.

I feel like somewhere, in an alternate universe, there's an interesting dialogue happening about fandom and people's relationship/vague feelings of entitlement to the thing they love.

• Like 5

Damn, people are seriously OVERDOING IT with the criticism of Pete. Constructively talking about what you thought worked and didn't work is one thing but just ripping on the guy because he "ruined" an episode of your favorite podcast is another thing entirely. It was ONE episode of CBB. And you know what? It was pretty damn good! Calling a guy a hack because he doesn't fit in perfectly with your conception of what CBB is (or what improv in general is for that matter) seems pretty unfair to me, to be honest.

On a side note, thought everyone had great bits - Gabrus' character was great and loved Pam's appearance too. Any confirmation for a return to Suicide House for the Halloween ep with Gelman? Last one was legendary.

• Like 1

Also at least Pete played along with everything and was game, there are plenty of first time guests on CBB who aren't

For example for most of the Bill Hader/Bob Ducca ep this year Hader was flat out not playing along with things Scott was doing and was freaking checking his phone throughout. At least Pete was game 100% of the time and while he might not be everyone's cup of tea he was trying his hardest

• Like 3

The biggest problem with this episode is that Pete never got to use his catchphrase "my daaaaaaaaaaaaaayd".

• Like 3

Also at least Pete played along with everything and was game, there are plenty of first time guests on CBB who aren't

For example for most of the Bill Hader/Bob Ducca ep this year Hader was flat out not playing along with things Scott was doing and was freaking checking his phone throughout. At least Pete was game 100% of the time and while he might not be everyone's cup of tea he was trying his hardest

Have you forgotten the Jeff Garlin ep?

• Like 1

The biggest problem with this episode is that Pete never got to use his catchphrase "my daaaaaaaaaaaaaayd".

I haven't listened to this ep yet but does Petey Pie talk about his ex-wife at all?

Dudes who didn't like Pete Holmes on this would have their heads explode if they listened to the Garlin/Holmes episodes of Doug Loves Movies (which are fucking amazing).

I found Pete funny-annoying (not, you know, annoying) in this episode, as I do on Doug Loves Movies, but that Chelsea Peretti clip is fantastic. It reminds me of my favorite moment in F&P3, when she loses it describing wondering what would happen if she snapped on Scott and killed Kulap.

I found Pete funny-annoying (not, you know, annoying) in this episode, as I do on Doug Loves Movies, but that Chelsea Peretti clip is fantastic. It reminds me of my favorite moment in F&P3, when she loses it describing wondering what would happen if she snapped on Scott and killed Kulap.

A lot of Chelsea's fantasies seem to involve murdering her friends.

It reminds me of how much she laughed at the idea of murdering Kulap and standing over Scott with a gun and a knife. If a bunch of LA comedians are brutally murdered one day, we'll know who to blame.

Can someone please direct me to this; I don't know what podcast we're referencing here. Thank you in advance.

People, can we please get back to the real point of this podcast? - the new Stamps.com ad!

Best one yet. This ep should have been titled 'The most important part of your fingers'.

• Like 1

It was so surreal having him grumping along beside Adomians brilliance.