🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 74.5 — Minisode 74.5

Your viewing assignment for next week is the only film Paul has ever watched in a theater while drinking a 40 and for good reason. It's a superhero film that stars Ben Affleck and it’s not the new Batman. We also learn why Halloween III: Season of the Witch has a special place in Woody Allen’s heart during Corrections & Omissions and Paul answers all your cake related questions. Don’t forget to send the new Movie Title Game submissions to hdtgmfilmtitles@gmail.com! Make sure to watch Ass Backwards now on VOD & iTunes and use your face to watch Hell Baby right now on Amazon!

Daredevil isn't as bad as people say it is. Only problem is Garner and the dated soundtrack. The directors cut fixes and adds a lot and makes an overall decent movie.

I remember director Kevin Smith being a huge supporter of Ben Affleck in this role- as if he was the best choice for Daredevil. Kevin wouldn't shut up about it... until the film was released. Once this turd hit the theaters I didn't hear Kevin (or anyone else for that matter) defend it. Even Ben himself has gone on record as saying it was bad.

Ben: "I liked Sum of All Fears. Daredevil I didn't at all. Some movies should have worked and didn't."

The film is especially getting dumped on a lot now, as everyone from Christopher Nolan to Patton Oswalt are defending the choice to make Affleck the new Batman (essentially saying Daredevil was a fluke, and Affleck's Batman will be much, much better.) I'll believe that when I see it... on DVD. (I don't have the confidence to pay theater prices for the gamble).

• Like 1

Red or Green? is the state question of New Mexico. It's actually the same pepper, picked at different times.

I like "Christmas," personally.

• Like 1

Daredevil isn't as bad as people say it is. Only problem is Garner and the dated soundtrack. The directors cut fixes and adds a lot and makes an overall decent movie.

Agreed to an extent. My comic friends and I had this conversation in regards to Daredevil. Daredevil works best on the small screen instead of the movie screen. It felt more like a couple of episodes of a DD tv show compiled together. The extended scenes do help form a litle more comprehensive story though.

I was wildly entertained at the idea of Paul drinking a 40 in the theater for this flick back in the day...

2n24874.jpg

• Like 8

I recently tried watching the Director's Cut for the first time, having not seen the theatrical cut in forever. It doesn't suddenly turn it into a good movie by any stretch. Let's remember that the director behind this Director's Cut still has this as the third result when Googling his name. He made the Michael Keaton Jack Frost movie, which probably deserves its own episode.

Hey I got a runner up for the last movie game, unless someone else suggested Brain Freeze before me. I feel honored, this is the most successful thing I have ever done! (I'm not very successful)

Oh my God I am so excited for this. I haven't seen this movie but I was always looking for an excuse.

Supercalifragilisticwhenwedropwegoballistic.

God the early aughts were just as cheesy as the early 90s.

• Like 2

I agree the film is really flawed, the soundtrack is dated, and the CGI is atrocious. But I had no problems with Affleck's performance. The movie's not great, but I was entertained by it. *shrug*

Edit: Also, glad to know Paul's in the Halloween spirit, telling us to "Take scare" and all!

Agreed to an extent. My comic friends and I had this conversation in regards to Daredevil. Daredevil works best on the small screen instead of the movie screen. It felt more like a couple of episodes of a DD tv show compiled together. The extended scenes do help form a litle more comprehensive story though.

Failed TV show mashed into a movie does really describe the feeling. I watched Daredevil with Rifftrax and mostly it was just boring; I can't recall anything really except the big swooping CG shots, which looked like a Playstation game.

We have to keep in mind this movie came out before our current age of comic book blockbusters. Batman Begins wasn't out until 2005, and every property was still basically unproven. 2006's Superman Returns was stuck in development hell forever, and even though it did well, it still took Marvel's outstanding box office performance for studios to get a Superman sequel together. It took movies like Daredevil to blaze the path for the big comic book movies we have today. If you had told me ten years ago that an Avengers movie would be the third highest grossing movie of all time and that it was also pretty fucking good, I would have laughed.

Hopefully a second Daredevil movie gets made at some point. He's a really interesting character with a lot of potential for interesting stories. I'm not really into comics, but wasn't there a story arc where the Kingpin basically completely ruined Matt Murdock's life and drives him insane, he loses his job and becomes homeless, etc etc?

Marvel was on its way to becoming a house of blockbusters, though, as Blade, X-Men, Blade II, and Spider-Man were all successful. Though, I understand your point, as this was back when Marvel was selling film rights to their characters to Fox, New Line, and Sony, etc.. Now they're making the films themselves, and have more creative control.

The storyline you're refering to is called "Born Again." DD's ex-girlfriend Karen sells his secret identity to the Kingpin, and Fisk proceeds to make his life miserable, as you mentioned.

Earbear that's some fine photoshop work LOL

Cat & beard, not really all that excited about this. Same level of excitement for the new Batman movie.

paul didn't point out if he was watching the Director's Cut or Normal version. I've heard the directors cut is better.

It's been years since I've seen Daredevil without Rifftrax audio, so this should be interesting. This movie gets so broad and simplistic it's downright Schumacher-esque at times despite being made years after Batman and Robin made that a cardinal sin for comic book films. For me, Ben Affleck needs a top notch script to make him likeable in a lead role, so I don't hold out much hope for Superman vs. Batman, but you never know.

It's been years since I've seen Daredevil without Rifftrax audio...

That's the only way I've seen it and I still remember just about nothing from this movie

• Like 2

To Paul wondering why Jon Favreau was a side kick in two super hero movies...this one...no idea. But Iron Mans..he did direct the first two so that kind of explains that one. Just saying.

Hopefully a second Daredevil movie gets made at some point. He's a really interesting character with a lot of potential for interesting stories. I'm not really into comics, but wasn't there a story arc where the Kingpin basically completely ruined Matt Murdock's life and drives him insane, he loses his job and becomes homeless, etc etc?

Joe Carnahan made a "sizzle reel" for a proposed Daredevil project that I assume won't come to fruition at this point, but really had the perfect aesthetic for a Daredevil movie based on a darker storyline like that. Worth a watch at least to see what could have been.

To Paul wondering why Jon Favreau was a side kick in two super hero movies...this one...no idea. But Iron Mans..he did direct the first two so that kind of explains that one. Just saying.

Corrections & Omissions before the episode's even aired. Excellent.

• Like 1

jon favreau is a sidekick because this script originally started out as swingers 2

• Like 1

jon favreau is a sidekick because this script originally started out as swingers 2

2w22ddi.jpg

("Sometimes an idea is barely funny enough to do and post, but too stupid to actually open Photoshop for" - the slogan for MS Paint).

• Like 3

I'm interested in hearing what the guys have to say about this movie because it's weird in that there isn't really any plot to this movie from what I can remember. I mean even Batman & Robin had some plot, though it was insane, Daredevil didn't really have no giant plan that he was trying to foil. The only real thing he tried to stop was Elektra's dad being killed and that was over 30 minutes into the movie. I did enjoy Colin Farrell and Michael Clark Duncan in their roles as they seemed to understand the movie that they were in and played it up a bit campy. Unfortunately the two leads were taking an intended campy film about a blind superhero too seriously where it seemed like the first couple Batman films.

Sign in to follow this