🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 75 — Daredevil

Why did he pull out his own tooth? Because he liked to feel it when it came out:

#crashtestdummies

;)

You guys need to bring on people who have background knowledge on the source material of the movies you're discussing WAY more often. Brubaker gave your commentary so much more legitimacy.

Great show guys!

And its also a Goof because in the close up of Joe Pantoliano looking at the "DD" the image its NOT mirrored/reversed (as it should be) in the glasses reflection #omission ;)

613_2_large.jpg

Yes! But they already pointed that out on the show.

Yes! But they already pointed that out on the show.

You are right... I'm listening at work and had to attend a customer and totally missed that... I'll edit the original post

Thanks for having Ed Brubaker on as guest for this week's How Did This Get Made! As a huge fan of the man's work (since the early days of Lowlife ), having a comic professional is always good to disect this truly trashy yet weirdly fun superhero flick. What made me bust out laughing was that Ed sat through both the theatrical release AND the director's cut. I've always said this about Daredevil and the Punisher films...it's a great small screen film; working better for your home theater than seeing it on the big screen.

Personal HDTG note on this film: When I was in college, one my friend's father was the CPA of the director, Mark Steve Johnson. I had met him on several occassions when I would visit my friend's home. So as a comic fan, Mark told me the story of his script. I had to put on a game face and say 'good luck' when I secretly said 'Have you ever read the fucking comic?!?!?' Then I had been invited to the set to see a couple set-ups. As mentioned, the street scenes were laughable.

Kudos for another subpar superhero film! Now review the Dolph Lundgren Punisher!

• Like 1

I'm full of hope that Ed will be back, really a perfect fit with the show. Nothing much to add, just wanted to voice how happy this episode made me!

• Like 1

Can we talk about how much the thing on Colin Farrel's head looks like a bio-port from Existenz? (spoiler alert if you haven't seen Existenz: the bio-ports are a constant source of not-so-subtle buttsex jokes)

would-ever-date-bullseye-daredevil--large-msg-125487640863.jpg

existenz-bio-port-003.jpg

• Like 1

Kudos for another subpar superhero film! Now review the Dolph Lundgren Punisher!

Or the 1990 Captain America, or (!!!) the 1997 Justice League which is so hilariously inept that it was shot and edited as a Real World style documentary.

And its also a Goof because in the close up of Joe Pantoliano looking at the "DD" the image its NOT mirrored/reversed (as it should be) in the glasses reflection ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED/EDITED: As Paul points out after the commercial break here is the screenshot of the $10.000 digital mistake I stand corrected

I get that this is a superhero movie and suspension of disbelief etc etc but that's such a glaring "fuck you" to uhhh the laws of reality, common sense, and the audience's intelligence.

And Zouk's impressed me with his comic chops.

You should check out his appearance on You Made It Weird. I believe he talks about growing up, riding bikes and loving comics.

• Like 2

Can we talk about how much the thing on Colin Farrel's head looks like a bio-port from Existenz?

I totally pointed that out to the chick I brought to see Daredevil in the theater and she was all, "Who is David Cronenberg?" and I never saw her again*

*after I fucked her**

**I'm actually a 37 year old virgin. :-(

• Like 2

Or the 1990 Captain America, or (!!!) the 1997 Justice League which is so hilariously inept that it was shot and edited as a Real World style documentary.

The Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie is one of the worst movies ever made. Keep in mind they didn't even distribute it. I bought a bootleg copy on VHS for $20 in like 1997 at a comic convention...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVLqs9MrGbw

• Like 1

Just a wonderful episode. June saying "I thought he had just committed so hard to being blind..." is the greatest thing that ever happened.

Can we get Ed back for all future Superhero HDTGMs? He was perfect.

• Like 2

Haven't listened yet, but I just started to download and ED BRUBAKER! Everyone, read Criminal and Fatale. They are amazing books!

VOTE ON THE WORST HOLIDAY MOVIE OVER AT FYI!!

(Tim Allen and Vince Vaughn are heavily involved)

tumblr_lux7mllboJ1r66uieo1_250.gif

"Jack Frost - from the director of Daredevil!"

June, thank you so much for being brave enough to have the lone voice supporting this movie. Everything she said is almost exactly how I feel. Out of everyone I know, I am the only person who actually enjoys this movie. :D

• Like 1

Weird Soundtrack on this one. NERD - Lapdance? Some of the songs really seemed misplaced.

It played during the scene that introduces Kingpin. Y'know, just in case we didn't know MCD was a black dude, let's have him chill in a fancy apartment listening to rap.

I consider this a textbook example of a boring-bad movie. You're waiting for it to tip into amazing-bad or at least funny-bad, and it just never quite makes it there.

Just a wonderful episode. June saying "I thought he had just committed so hard to being blind..." is the greatest thing that ever happened.

Can we get Ed back for all future Superhero HDTGMs? He was perfect.

If it were for super hero films of characters he'd already worked on it'd be great, but other heroes I'd prefer a variety of writers or artists that had worked on those characters.

Real talk: I was 13 when I saw this in theaters, but even I thought the movie treated rape a tad too flippantly in that beginning court case.

VOTE ON THE WORST HOLIDAY MOVIE OVER AT FYI!!

(Tim Allen and Vince Vaughn are heavily involved)

tumblr_lux7mllboJ1r66uieo1_250.gif

I was hoping Batman Returns was on the list. It's set at Christmas-time.

I was hoping Batman Returns was on the list. It's set at Christmas-time.

I actually think that's a great Batman movie.

I am shocked at how fluidly Brubaker was able to riff with the crew and fit right into the tone of the show. It's nice when people you dig artistically seem chill and likeable in real life. This might be my favorite my episode...only Birdemic stands rival. It's like some did a metadata search on my twitter feed and setup this podcast accordingly.

And Zouk's impressed me with his comic chops.

I know! who would have thought ed be that funny? And every time Zouks talks about comics, it's gold. Dude knows his shit, and also has amazing taste in them.

He likes Hawkeye, DC: New Frontier, Thor: the Mighty Avenger and now we learned is a long time Daredevil fan! That man knows quality. Want to get his thoughts on Waid's run, bet he's a big fan.

• Like 1