🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 75 — Daredevil

Regarding the rain improving his "radar": it's like they thought instead of daredevil being blind, everything around him was invisible. If rain came down on an invisible object you'd be able to see the surfaces where the rain is hitting. If it actually was like radar the rain would make it more difficult to see, since the rain would cause a bunch of interference. Maybe the writer has a fundementally flawed idea of what blindness is.

• Like 2

Regarding the rain improving his "radar": it's like they thought instead of daredevil being blind, everything around him was invisible. If rain came down on an invisible object you'd be able to see the surfaces where the rain is hitting. If it actually was like radar the rain would make it more difficult to see, since the rain would cause a bunch of interference. Maybe the writer has a fundementally flawed idea of what blindness is.

Daredevil writer in movie theater; 'Oh Jesus guys, I just realized you guys were saying 'blind' and I was hearing 'deaf'. I am so, so sorry.

• Like 2

Worst movie I've ever seen in theaters. Daredevil lets someone die on the traintracks? After the famous Frank Miller sequence where he saves Bullseye from a similar fate and hates himself for it? Just months after a movie where a rampaging Hulk DOESN'T KILL A SINGLE PERSON?!?

There's been a definite puss out when it comes to these movies going to G.I. Joe cartoon lengths to show no one being killed. I'd like to say the trend started with the Matrix sequels. Maybe there was a huge outcry against the justified indiscriminate cop killing in the first before, because after that you never saw a single bystander inside the matrix. Neo creating a giant vortex of crashing cars in his wake as he flies through the city? Don't worry, there aren't any more people around to hurt!

The Hulk movie...ugh. I can just imagine old time Gozilla movies showing little toy soldiers bail out of all the toy planes and tanks.

I think it's more that the writers only had seconds before passing out from coke, needed to come up with some quick plot device to let Daredevil pull through at the end, and thought, "He sees by sound. Rain drops make sound when they hit something. Submarines navigate by sound under water? Rain is made of water? Super powered rain! NAILED IT!"

Problems: rain makes a ton of ambient noise that would screw up any kind of hearing that was that sensitive, and while sound travels better underwater than it does through air, it travels TERRIBLY between the two which it what it has to do when it rains. Sound is muffled trying to travel through all those droplets. The writers actually thought that rain makes it easier to hear sound. I'm guessing they were long time L.A. natives who had never been outside in the rain before.

Also, even by the movie's logic the only thing rain did was let him see a little better by being able to make out small details on a person like their face. How the hell does that turn him into an invincible fighting machine? That's like saying that dressing up your opponent in a neon jumpsuit would turn you into the world's greatest boxer.

I was hoping Batman Returns was on the list. It's set at Christmas-time.

I actually think that's a great Batman movie.

I actually think that's the best Batman movie.

• Like 1

I actually think that's the best Batman movie.

I certainly enjoy Batman Returns, but I just don't think the story is a great Batman story. It's a great Tim Burton story, with Batman characters slotted in in places where they can be considered close enough to what he's going for.

I think the best Batman movie is Batman Begins, so take that for what it's worth.

Was so happy to hear one of my favorite comic book writers on one of my favorite podcasts talking about one of my least favorite superhero movies. Hooray!

I was hoping Batman Returns was on the list. It's set at Christmas-time.

Batman Returns is a great film! I just watched it yesterday, actually. Maybe Burton's best movie. Not a great Batman story, maybe, but a fun superhero movies with great performances and amazing cinematography.

• Like 1

I certainly enjoy Batman Returns, but I just don't think the story is a great Batman story. It's a great Tim Burton story, with Batman characters slotted in in places where they can be considered close enough to what he's going for.

I think the best Batman movie is Batman Begins, so take that for what it's worth.

Funny you should mention that, as I've heard the same thing said about the Nolan Batman films. Well, not that his movies are Tim Burton films with Batman in the them, but that they're more like gritty crime dramas that happen to have Batman starring in them, which is fine, because they were very well done for the most part.

I wish I could remember what site it was on, but I remember a pretty hilarious interview with Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction (who were co-writing Uncanny X-Men at the time) where they talked about the Lois Lane comic from the 50's-60's, like how it was the most hateful book ever and that they were surprised how every other issue didn't end with a suicide attempt. Apparently, most of the stories were about how Lois was thiiiiiiis close to proving that Clark was Superman, Supes would catch wind of it, and then he'd drag half the superhero community into his scheme to publicly embarrass her. In one issue in particular, she's going to marry Clark/Superman, and as they're about to tie the knot, "Superman" (really Bruce Wayne or somebody in disguise) shows up at the wedding, and she's all the "What the FUUUUUUCK?!?!? Wedding's off!" and everyone's like "Lois, Clark isn't Superman! You're just a stupid, stupid woman with a small woman brain!", and everyone laughs while a sad trombone almost certainly plays in the background.

Or the 1990 Captain America, or (!!!) the 1997 Justice League which is so hilariously inept that it was shot and edited as a Real World style documentary.

WHAT! How have I never heard of this. To the internets!

WHAT! How have I never heard of this. To the internets!

I don't remember MUCH from the Justice League pilot, but I DO remember a part where Flash's super speed is demonstrated in his ability to move from one side or end of a kitchen table to the other in what can only be described as about a half a second faster than a mere normal human being.

I wish I could remember what site it was on, but I remember a pretty hilarious interview with Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction (who were co-writing Uncanny X-Men at the time) where they talked about the Lois Lane comic from the 50's-60's, like how it was the most hateful book ever and that they were surprised how every other issue didn't end with a suicide attempt. Apparently, most of the stories were about how Lois was thiiiiiiis close to proving that Clark was Superman, Supes would catch wind of it, and then he'd drag half the superhero community into his scheme to publicly embarrass her. In one issue in particular, she's going to marry Clark/Superman, and as they're about to tie the knot, "Superman" (really Bruce Wayne or somebody in disguise) shows up at the wedding, and she's all the "What the FUUUUUUCK?!?!? Wedding's off!" and everyone's like "Lois, Clark isn't Superman! You're just a stupid, stupid woman with a small woman brain!", and everyone laughs while a sad trombone almost certainly plays in the background.

I don't know the interview you're talking about, but where these the comics that they were referencing?

tumblr_lqi6ip7RSf1r2ntbyo1_400.jpg

To me, this is the funniest one.

tumblr_lqi0o9mZ4b1r2ntbyo1_400.jpg

• Like 2

I don't know the interview you're talking about, but where these the comics that they were referencing?

tumblr_lqi6ip7RSf1r2ntbyo1_400.jpg

To me, this is the funniest one.

tumblr_lqi0o9mZ4b1r2ntbyo1_400.jpg

When trying to find the exact one they were talking about, I stumbled across these too, as well as several articles that talk about what a fucked-up comic it was. Again, it comes down to making Lois look like a fucking idiot at every turn. Apparently, there was also one where her and Supes were also incredibly racially insensitive in one of those stories that addresses a societal injustice in such a misguided way that really does more damage than good.

Oh yeah, and that first cover there reminds me of one for World's Finest or Secret Origins or something where it proclaimed "The Origin of the Jimmy Olsen and Robin Super-Team!", and then you open it, and the very first page is Batman and Superman standing at the graves of Jimmy Olsen and Robin. Today, that would have been a good joke, but since it was back then when they almost certainly didn't see it with those eyes, it was a MASTERPIECE of unintentional comedy. Of course they weren't dead though, but later on, it did inspire me to do a project for some class or another that I was taking in college where I pitched a comic called "Kid Crossfire and the Fantastic Union of Costumed Kids Evading Demise" ("F.U.C.K.E.D. For Life!" for however long that was going to be...) that featured a sidekick character that wore a bright green and yellow costume with targets all over it and a mask that really didn't disguise his identity at all, as well as a (constantly) revolving roster of supporting characters. Jeez, I need to get that idea rolling again...

• Like 3

You should check out his appearance on You Made It Weird. I believe he talks about growing up, riding bikes and loving comics.

I generally don't double quote, but that was fantastic. I wasn't a huge fan the bits of Pete holmes I've heard before this, but this was great. Jason has a gift for being a comedy catalyst for derranged characters. His Bang-Bangs with Andy Daly are the absolute height of the artform.

• Like 3

i love this panel so much

At first, I thought it WAS Super Cat or whatever the hell it's name is, because there was the whole Superman Family that of course included Krypto, some horse, and a monkey, but then I did realize that this was in fact Superman, and that he had TURNED INTO a cat. I mean, that's still great and all, but I was happier thinking that we had another Amy the gorilla on our hands.

Damn you beat me to it.

i guess i was not the only one who planned on posting that video haha

lois_lane_013_00_fc.jpg

If I had a dollar for every time my wife wore a lead box on her head to hide a secret from me, I'd start asking her to wear a lead box on her head to hide secrets from me.

I generally don't double quote, but that was fantastic. I wasn't a huge fan the bits of Pete holmes I've heard before this, but this was great. Jason has a gift for being a comedy catalyst for derranged characters. His Bang-Bangs with Andy Daly are the absolute height of the artform.

Zouks, there it is!