🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 75 — Daredevil

When trying to find the exact one they were talking about, I stumbled across these too, as well as several articles that talk about what a fucked-up comic it was. Again, it comes down to making Lois look like a fucking idiot at every turn. Apparently, there was also one where her and Supes were also incredibly racially insensitive in one of those stories that addresses a societal injustice in such a misguided way that really does more damage than good.

Oh yeah, and that first cover there reminds me of one for World's Finest or Secret Origins or something where it proclaimed "The Origin of the Jimmy Olsen and Robin Super-Team!", and then you open it, and the very first page is Batman and Superman standing at the graves of Jimmy Olsen and Robin. Today, that would have been a good joke, but since it was back then when they almost certainly didn't see it with those eyes, it was a MASTERPIECE of unintentional comedy. Of course they weren't dead though, but later on, it did inspire me to do a project for some class or another that I was taking in college where I pitched a comic called "Kid Crossfire and the Fantastic Union of Costumed Kids Evading Demise" ("F.U.C.K.E.D. For Life!" for however long that was going to be...) that featured a sidekick character that wore a bright green and yellow costume with targets all over it and a mask that really didn't disguise his identity at all, as well as a (constantly) revolving roster of supporting characters. Jeez, I need to get that idea rolling again...

Crossfire!!!

I don't know the interview you're talking about, but where these the comics that they were referencing?

tumblr_lqi6ip7RSf1r2ntbyo1_400.jpg

To me, this is the funniest one.

tumblr_lqi0o9mZ4b1r2ntbyo1_400.jpg

I'm a proud owner of the entire Lois Lane run. It's one of my all-time favorite comics. They're so glorious schlocky, they're brilliant. How can you not love a cover like this:

22068_20051230175656_large.jpg

• Like 6

There was a site called superdickery.com that had a bunch of these old covers on there. Apparently there was a spin-off comic for Jimmy Olsen as well. I remember seeing a cover for that comic where Superman is using his eye-rays to melt a present that Jimmy had given him for his birthday. The speech bubble from Superman was something like, "I should have never adopted you as my son, Jimmy. You're a failure!" I don't know why, but that one cracked me up something good. The caption by the webmaster was funny as hell too.

BTW, don't go to superdickery.com. It's full of viruses and they got a lot of infestation going on there. There's a tumblr that I pulled those previous two from with the same name.

• Like 1

I'm a proud owner of the entire Lois Lane run. It's one of my all-time favorite comics. They're so glorious schlocky, they're brilliant. How can you not love a cover like this:

I bet you $100 that the plot of that issue is that Superman won't give her any super-loving while she's a black woman, so Lois tries to change back, but something goes wrong, and she asks Superman can he love her, even though she's black (like its a genetic malady of some kind)...

At which point, Superman throws her from a cliff.

• Like 1

More on Black Lois for those who are interested:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18502_the-5-most-unintentionally-offensive-comic-book-characters_p2.html

I first heard of this on the PBS Superheroes Documentary. They had a section on Comics and Human Rights Issues.

Oh my shit, that's got to be a reference to 1967's Euro-art erotic film I Am Curious (Yellow) and the follow-up I Am Curious (Blue), which I'm pretty sure 99% of Superman comics readers had no idea existed. Curious!

dg51jbQ.jpg

• Like 1

When trying to find the exact one they were talking about, I stumbled across these too, as well as several articles that talk about what a fucked-up comic it was. Again, it comes down to making Lois look like a fucking idiot at every turn. Apparently, there was also one where her and Supes were also incredibly racially insensitive in one of those stories that addresses a societal injustice in such a misguided way that really does more damage than good.

Oh yeah, and that first cover there reminds me of one for World's Finest or Secret Origins or something where it proclaimed "The Origin of the Jimmy Olsen and Robin Super-Team!", and then you open it, and the very first page is Batman and Superman standing at the graves of Jimmy Olsen and Robin. Today, that would have been a good joke, but since it was back then when they almost certainly didn't see it with those eyes, it was a MASTERPIECE of unintentional comedy. Of course they weren't dead though, but later on, it did inspire me to do a project for some class or another that I was taking in college where I pitched a comic called "Kid Crossfire and the Fantastic Union of Costumed Kids Evading Demise" ("F.U.C.K.E.D. For Life!" for however long that was going to be...) that featured a sidekick character that wore a bright green and yellow costume with targets all over it and a mask that really didn't disguise his identity at all, as well as a (constantly) revolving roster of supporting characters. Jeez, I need to get that idea rolling again...

Yeah, all the spinoff covers scream "PICK ME UP! LOOK AT THIS! SOMETHING WEIRD IS HAPPENING! DON'T YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY THIS WEIRD THING IS HAPPENING?!" So, if you were to revive the adventures of the F.U.C.K.E.D. crew, you would have to follow this time-honored tradition. Maybe have Rush Limbaugh in a schoolgirl outfit with a crown of dildos while Godzilla is leans against a building smoking a blunt. And then have one of the F.U.C.K.E.D. crew exclaim, "Gee, who would have ever thought voting for Ross Perot would have turned the world into this?! We have to do something!"

I'd pay more than 15 cents to see how that story turns out.

Oh my shit, that's got to be a reference to 1967's Euro-art erotic film I Am Curious (Yellow) and the follow-up I Am Curious (Blue), which I'm pretty sure 99% of Superman comics readers had no idea existed. Curious!

That's a deep cut. Would you recommend this movie?

I think there's better uses of your time (listen to us, overexplaining a superhero movie). People refer to it with terms like "landmark film" but through the lens of history, it's worth as a piece of cinema is more weighed towards what it paved the way for rather than the object itself. Now it would seem like a parody of European art house cinema because its influence was fairly considerable and certain tropes have become shorthand for silly, snooty foreign films -- black & white, a naked person smoking, speaking in Swedish, themes of sex & death, etc.

I think any film is worth a shot but if you're going "I want to watch a fun, erotic, artsy film" then I think stuff like Radley Metzger (The Opening Of Misty Beethoven, The Lickerish Quartet), Jean Rollin (Fascination, Requiem For A Vampire), Jess Franco (Venus In Furs, Female Vampire), or even some of the Emmanuelle movies offer more entertainment value. But sometimes we want more than to just be entertained; I dunno. I Am Curious (Yellow) is on Hulu, like many Criterion movies.

• Like 1

By the way, Ed Brubaker was a great guest. I would have loved to have heard his comments on the Catwoman movie. Hopefully y'all can have him back for a future comic film.

• Like 1

Also the inspiration for a Simpsons episode title, "I Am Furious Yellow". So I guess it made an impact with the right audience.

• Like 1

I would pay top dollar to see June's face as she watches Elektra. It's horrible, but I just know, and I mean JUST KNOW that she will connect with the Mother/Daughter-esqe relationship between Elektra and the girl prodigy. And I know that if June loved see-saws and sandbags, she'll love sheets.

2.jpg

• Like 1

I'm holding out for the long-awaited third installment, "I Am Fast and Curious (Tokyo Drift)".

• Like 6

With all due respect to Paul...I'm in love with June. I wish I could watch every movie with her. I love this show. It's hilarious. Please keep it going dum dums.

• Like 1

With all due respect to Paul...I'm in love with June. I wish I could watch every movie with her. I love this show. It's hilarious. Please keep it going dum dums.

I fall in love with June more and more with very episode, as well.

I think there's better uses of your time (listen to us, overexplaining a superhero movie). People refer to it with terms like "landmark film" but through the lens of history, it's worth as a piece of cinema is more weighed towards what it paved the way for rather than the object itself. Now it would seem like a parody of European art house cinema because its influence was fairly considerable and certain tropes have become shorthand for silly, snooty foreign films -- black & white, a naked person smoking, speaking in Swedish, themes of sex & death, etc.

I think any film is worth a shot but if you're going "I want to watch a fun, erotic, artsy film" then I think stuff like Radley Metzger (The Opening Of Misty Beethoven, The Lickerish Quartet), Jean Rollin (Fascination, Requiem For A Vampire), Jess Franco (Venus In Furs, Female Vampire), or even some of the Emmanuelle movies offer more entertainment value. But sometimes we want more than to just be entertained; I dunno. I Am Curious (Yellow) is on Hulu, like many Criterion movies.

Thanks, Cat & Beard. I say you have an encyclopedic knowledge of movies across all genres, whether foreign or domestic. Were you a film student at one time (or currently)? Are you involved in the film industry in some capacity?

Holy shit, good timing for this episode, maybe too good to be a coincidence. Marvel just announced that they're doing four 13-episode series for Netflix in 2015, one of which is Daredevil.

• Like 4

Holy shit, good timing for this episode, maybe too good to be a coincidence. Marvel just announced that they're doing four 13-episode series for Netflix in 2015, one of which is Daredevil.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is gotta be what Brubaker was being hush-hush about during the plugs, right??

• Like 1

Thanks, Cat & Beard. I say you have an encyclopedic knowledge of movies across all genres, whether foreign or domestic. Were you a film student at one time (or currently)? Are you involved in the film industry in some capacity?

That's a bit generous of you; I'm just a regular old school film nerd with a copy of The Psychotronic Video Guide To Film, living in a city with one of the greatest video stores in the country. I like movies.

You know who would make a great Daredevil? That guy from Gymkata.

But seriously, let's talk Luke Cage casting. Terry Crews? Terry Crews.

Hopefully Brooklyn 99 will still be on the air and he'll be unavailable. My vote goes to Isaiah Mustafa, who's been angling for a chance to play Cage for a while now.

That's a bit generous of you; I'm just a regular old school film nerd with a copy of The Psychotronic Video Guide To Film, living in a city with one of the greatest video stores in the country. I like movies.

You know who would make a great Daredevil? That guy from Gymkata.

But seriously, let's talk Luke Cage casting. Terry Crews? Terry Crews.

Hmm... can Daredevil's fighting style be considered Gymkata?

daredevilknees_zps11b31aa7.gif

Here's the actual knee-blowout, for anyone that might find it entertaining

• Like 3

daredevilknees_zps11b31aa7.gif

Here's the actual knee-blowout, for anyone that might find it entertaining

Duncan did a hell of a job of selling it. He sold it HARD. I mean, he gets his knees crushed and then he falls down TO his knees, right? Double ouch. This reminds me too, if June didn't know what a street fighter was after seeing the JCVD "Street Fighter Movie", I'd hate to think what kind of confusion "Legend of Chun Li" would have caused.