๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JulyDiaz

Episode 75 โ€” Daredevil

At least in Legend of Chun Li, they do occasionally fight in the street. There was the Balrog vs Cabbage Wielding Locals fight in the street, and Chun Li vs the Gassy Douche Clan. The fight with Vega might count, it wasn't really a street, but it was at least outdoors in an urban environment. Also Cammy vs Her Vomit took place in the street (in a car) when Nash kissed her.

One thing I was wondering about with this movie, if Daredevil can only "see" using his sonar ability, how was he able to make those flaming D's in the beginning of the movie? It's not like he can see true shapes without the help of A LOT of ambient sound, like the rain he used to see Elektra or Kingpin. Was he just tapping the ground with his cane to get the general idea of what he was writing or is there some deleted scene that flashes back within the flashback to show the 500 times it took for him to perfect those D's at various crime scenes around the city?

• Like 1

Probably just has a little template he unfolds, or uses strings tied to a pole he puts on the ground secured with a weight to guide him, like when people make crop circles. Its all in a little compartment in his cane.

Probably just has a little template he unfolds, or uses strings tied to a pole he puts on the ground secured with a weight to guide him, like when people make crop circles. Its all in a little compartment in his cane.

ย 

Sort of like how the Flash's costume hides inside his ring. Another scene I would love to see is Daredevil opening up the compartment and trying to assemble that device just to make two letters. Though I also would have loved if Joey Pants threw his smoke down and lit the letters, but they look nothing like D's and are just rough scribbles.

• Like 1

This episode made me realize what was wrong with this movie. I knew it was bad, and could point out plenty of stuff that didn't work, but they nailed it by mentioning the half assed origin story.

ย 

You can either start out a superhero movie in the middle of his career (Tim Burton Batman) OR do an origin story. The former has the advantage of getting right into the action. The latter lets you have fun seeing the character get used to his new powers (part of the reason Spiderman was such a huge hit).

ย 

Daredevil gave you both with neither of the advantages. It starts in the middle of his career, where apparently he became an attorney JUST to meet criminals so he could stalk and kill them (seriously what else was he going to do with the rapist who went free? Give him a talking to?) which is like a pedophile going to grad school to become a teacher. Okay...so maybe it's a dark twist on the character and they turned him into Dexter? Except they spend scenes showing what a wholesome great guy he is helping out the community, followed by the next fight scene being a meet cute taking place on a sitcom playground. Pick a tone and stick with it!

ย 

Flashback to origin story. The kid causes an industrial accident, gets his powers in what's almost straight lifted from The Toxic Avenger, and...that's it. He's instantly a boxing acrobat. So over 15 minutes are wasted on an origin story that gives us none of the fun and all of the boredom.

ย 

ย 

...seriously what was he supposed to be doing at the trial? He's a defense attorney and he's not representing the accused rapist, sooooo? And he personally hands out death penalties whenever a defendant's heart rate goes up? That's some legal system.

• Like 1

ย 

More on Black Lois for those who are interested:

http://www.cracked.c...racters_p2.html

ย 

I first heard of this on the PBS Superheroes Documentary. They had a section on Comics and Human Rights Issues.

ย 

ย 

Umm reading this made me think of the old Bloom County cartoons where Oliver learns about apartheid and makes a raygun that would turn the president of South Africa to a black man. They tie balloons to Cutter John's wheelchair and its like the Space Shuttle taking off.

Great episode. Ed Brubaker was a fantastic guest. Would love more comic writers to come on in the future for other terrible comic movies. Gail Simone on Superman IV would be awesome (with Kulap. She did put her in a comic.)

Not a single mention that they named the rapist after Joe Quesada (Daredevil writer, Marvel CO). Definitely the best way to pay homage to someone.

ย 

Have you seen what he has done to Marvel?

With all the talk about the romance part of the plot I am surprised no one mentioned that the film was originally released on Valentine's Day. It was the only way I could get the future ex-wife into the theater for it opening weekend.

Great episode. Ed Brubaker was a fantastic guest. Would love more comic writers to come on in the future for other terrible comic movies. Gail Simone on Superman IV would be awesome (with Kulap. She did put her in a comic.)

This reminds me, the owner of the chain of comic stores I used to work for got his marriage proposal worked into an issue of "Wonder Woman" a few years back when Walt Simonson was writing it, and while it's neat and all, it makes NO fucking sense outside of anyone that knows him. It got us some good press though and Simonson did appearances at all the stores. Actually, that may have been at a different time, I can't remember. I've only bought two issues of "Wonder Woman" in my life...

Apparently, the producers of the Netflix Daredevil listened to the episode, as they appear to have taken June's suggestion that Matt get his powers from just being really dedicated to being blind.

Can't figure out how to quote on the mobile site, but to the person who mentioned Mantzoukas on the You Made it Weird podcast, I listened to the whole thing and there was no mention of comics or riding bikes! Perhaps you were thinking of a different podcast?

Apparently, the producers of the Netflix Daredevil listened to the episode, as they appear to have taken June's suggestion that Matt get his powers from just being really dedicated to being blind.

ย 

I'm pretty sure they outright say in the Netflix show he got the power from the radioactive chemicals in the truck.

Just a quick update on the 'chewing pills dry' issue: If you were a fan of Ben Affleck chewing on dry pill pain meds in 2003's Daredevil, see him do it again in... The Accountant, in theatres now.

• Like 1

Just a quick update on the 'chewing pills dry' issue: If you were a fan of Ben Affleck chewing on dry pill pain meds in 2003's Daredevil, see him do it again in... The Accountant, in theatres now.

ย 

It premieres down here friday next week... Is it good???

ย 

ย 

I really enjoyed it but not in the way I expected. I expected it to be a cut and dry action thriller but it was more like a john wick kind of humorous thriller. It really skirts the line between taking itself seriously and intentionally going for awkward humor. Thankfully a lot of people in the theatre were laughing so it didn't feel too inappropriate that I was laughing constantly at random jokes and details. Won't get into spoilers but I will say there was at least one plot twists even I never saw coming, it's great. My friend thought it had too many disparate plot threads, like it was trying to be several different movies at once. It's sort of true but I didn't mind it, thought it actually added up to a pretty coherent story.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed it but not in the way I expected. I expected it to be a cut and dry action thriller but it was more like a john wick kind of humorous thriller. It really skirts the line between taking itself seriously and intentionally going for awkward humor. Thankfully a lot of people in the theatre were laughing so it didn't feel too inappropriate that I was laughing constantly at random jokes and details. Won't get into spoilers but I will say there was at least one plot twists even I never saw coming, it's great. My friend thought it had too many disparate plot threads, like it was trying to be several different movies at once. It's sort of true but I didn't mind it, thought it actually added up to a pretty coherent story.

ย 

Thank you for your reply! I wan't to see it now! :)

ย 

ย 

If the Punisher was autistic and had a day job, he'd be the Accountant, which is ironic, because the film co-stars the Punisher (Bernthal), who has now fought both Daredevils onscreen! Anyway, I liked the movie a lot.

• Like 1

If the Punisher was autistic and had a day job, he'd be the Accountant, which is ironic, because the film co-stars the Punisher (Bernthal), who has now fought both Daredevils onscreen! Anyway, I liked the movie a lot.

ย 

:lol: I was going to call it autistic john wick but shied away from the reveal. (I kinda avoided trailers and spoilers for this so the whole on-the-spectrum thing was a funny reveal for me)

ย 

And great point about the double daredevil connection with Bernthal! Glad I brought this up.

ย 

ย 

:lol:/> I was going to call it autistic john wick but shied away from the reveal. (I kinda avoided trailers and spoilers for this so the whole on-the-spectrum thing was a funny reveal for me)

ย 

And great point about the double daredevil connection with Bernthal! Glad I brought this up.

Well, I didn't know about the autism thing before, but they pretty much get into it immediately in the movie. Even if he WASN'T a super assassin, it would still be an interesting drama about someone coping with something like that, kind of like how we saw more of Affleck's Matt Murdock in Daredevil!

ย 

I ended up loving it way more than I thought I would because it goes the John Wick route of being serious and realistic in an crazy world where a guy like the Accountant can exist. I was surprised by how little was actually revealed in the trailers and how they started to reveal who the Accountant truly was was fantastic. Add to that a great supporting cast and it made for a great viewing experience.

• Like 1