🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DaveMcGuire

Hard Rain (1998)

dude I actually liked this movie! correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't this a john woo film? if not, it was done shortly after john woo directed slater in "broken arrow". i don't remember much about this movie except for a kind, elderly armored car guard who is gunned down mercilessly, a jet ski chase through a flooded graveyard (!!), and also how dark this film is. not like, thematically, but as in the entire film takes place at night, in rainfall.

yeah this one gets my vote as well!

• Like 2

John Woo didn't direct "Hard Rain", that was Mikael Salomon. It was also a box office failure, as it made just $19 million over a budget of $70 million!

• Like 1

This was going to be my recommendation. It's so fucking bad. A jet ski chase scene, TERRIBLE dialogue. OMG guys, please please please do Hard Rain.

Just watched this. It has been a while since Morgan Freeman has played an outright villain hasn't it?

This film is pretty absurd in that fun late 90s way. It feels very Jerry Bruckheimer, but I didn't see his name anywhere on the credits. I laughed pretty heartily at the old man telling Betty White to STFU. This movie is very much in the vein of Reindeer Games and would be a good one for HDTGM

I almost forgot that during the credits they play a Jars of Clay song about the flood of Noah.

• Like 1

Speaking of Christian Slater, has anyone seen the skateboarding murder mystery "thriller" Gleaming the Cube in a while? I saw it on VHS in high school, and remember it being mediocre-to-lame at the time.

• Like 1

The last time Freeman was a villain was the equally crazy-bad Dreamcatcher and technically he was a villain in Nurse Betty.

• Like 1

The last time Freeman was a villain was the equally crazy-bad Dreamcatcher and technically he was a villain in Nurse Betty.

There was also the reveal near the end of "Wanted," which I'd consider a spoiler if it weren't for the fact that "Wanted" was terrible.

• Like 1

That's right though I thought Wanted was good despite diverging from the source material quite a bit.

That's right though I thought Wanted was good despite diverging from the source material quite a bit.

I think that if Wanted had been made later on that it might have followed the book more, as the comic was going after a lot of the superhero/villain conventions that weren't really as much of a thing in movies yet. If you've seen Kingsman, it's kind of sort of the same case, as the plot of the comic (written by Wanted's Mark Millar) is so entrenched in geek culture that it needed to be tweaked a little to appeal more to regular audiences. I'd say it was adapted better than Wanted, which lost an entire layer of plot in the translation.

I think that if Wanted had been made later on that it might have followed the book more, as the comic was going after a lot of the superhero/villain conventions that weren't really as much of a thing in movies yet. If you've seen Kingsman, it's kind of sort of the same case, as the plot of the comic (written by Wanted's Mark Millar) is so entrenched in geek culture that it needed to be tweaked a little to appeal more to regular audiences. I'd say it was adapted better than Wanted, which lost an entire layer of plot in the translation.

Thankfully the only real things that were altered from Kingsman though was the people being selected for saving, the Kingsman being an independent organization rather than MI-6 which is suffering budget cuts, and "Eggsy" was a bit geekier in the book, unlike Wanted which took out the whole villain/hero in favor of the characters being assassins. I do admit though it would have been a hard sell to have protagonist with no morals who would giddily murder and torture random people.

I wonder what Wanted would have been if Lexi Alexander got the chance to direct it like she wanted.

Probably just as insane, though more closer to the source material, though I can see her directing something of Millar's like Supercrooks or in a perfect world Old Man Logan.

Probably just as insane, though more closer to the source material, though I can see her directing something of Millar's like Supercrooks or in a perfect world Old Man Logan.

Bump cause this movie is pretty terrible, I cant believe Minnie Driver ever got work.

Also if they actually base the next solo Wolverine movie on the Old Man Logan storyline like they're hinting i'd love it if they gave her an offer to direct.

Bump cause this movie is pretty terrible, I cant believe Minnie Driver ever got work.

I just watched the god awful Stage Fright, which she has a bit part in as the main character's mother, and she is truly dreadful. Thankfully she is served up as the opening kill which sets off the course of events in the movie, which made me cringe because it is following a trend in horror deaths where a person is stabbed through the mouth, either through the front or back of the head, and splits and knocks out a bunch of teeth in the process. It's a truly cringe worthy kill and her's was pretty brutal.

• Like 1

I just watched the god awful Stage Fright, which she has a bit part in as the main character's mother, and she is truly dreadful. Thankfully she is served up as the opening kill which sets off the course of events in the movie, which made me cringe because it is following a trend in horror deaths where a person is stabbed through the mouth, either through the front or back of the head, and splits and knocks out a bunch of teeth in the process. It's a truly cringe worthy kill and her's was pretty brutal.

I just watched GoldenEye the other day and was surprised to see she also had a very small role as the russian stripper who cant sing.

I just watched GoldenEye the other day and was surprised to see she also had a very small role as the russian stripper who cant sing.

Yeah I didn't notice it the first couple times I watched that movie, because they put a lot of tanning solution on her and has a horrible accent. I imagine that they sold her on it by saying "hey you might be a Bond girl in this movie."

As a kid I watched this after Christmas Vacation, so the moment where Randy Quaid pivots into a baddie legit made me sad

As a kid I watched this after Christmas Vacation, so the moment where Randy Quaid pivots into a baddie legit made me sad

Yeah people tend to forget he's the most forgettable part of this movie along with Betty White.

Well thats only because they didnt let her raise alligators in this one, even though this movie could have desperately used some escaped alligators in it.

Seriously, how has Hard Rain not been done yet?  Let's bump this one up to the top of the list!  It hits every note of a classic HDTGM episode.  

• Like 1

I'm down for Hard Rain being featured on the podcast. It is actually pretty fun if you turn your brain off for a bit. Betty White and Ed Asner involved, Randy Quaid as the bad guy, but the jet ski chase through the flooded school is by far my favorite part!

Sign in to follow this