🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 49 — Battle Bot

ok just relistned

Mildred has her hammer now, she needs you use it.... errr somthing else i forgot....

Knowing Sark from Halo streams and all the Machinima stuff and Youtube stuff before rediscovering him on BPandF and hearing the crew doubt he could "keep up" in the LAN parties is great.

Another awesome episode. Just got two more people from my work to start listening and so far they love it. Keep it up!!!

Not sure Sark or the cast actually read this forum and it's been ten years since I last played a caster in 2nd ed. but I'm almost sure that the casting time in the player HB is in round segments (in second a round is broken into 10 segments for casting) unless it specifically says a # of rounds.

Since the eps. are pre-recorded and for all I know this band of merry fools has flown right into the middle of the sun and are re-rolling new chars. but if anyone see this from the cast have Sark or Brian please check this out in the 2nd ed. players handbook but I'm almost positive that a casting time of 5 means you start casting at your initiative and then 5 initiative slots later that round the spell goes off. It lets casters get interrupted if hit during that portion of the round they are casting but it is not 5 rounds to cast a cure light wounds, that I can almost guarantee. Damien is getting cheated out of his bad ass spelliness!

I looked it up - it's actually simpler than your initiative slot system.. here's what The Holy Text (2nd Ed) says regarding casting time:

If only a number is given, the casting time is added to the caster's intitiative die rolls. If the spell requires a round or number of rounds to cast, it goes into effect at the end of the last round of casting time.

My interpretation would be, that as soon as your place in the initiative queue comes up, you cast the spell. Your wizard having to mumble the words and do a bit of hand-waving makes it more likely that you will cast your spell later in the round.

This would also mean you'd have to state your intention to cast a spell before rolling initiative, and not just when your turn comes up.

So in the case of the aforementioned Light, which has a casting time of 1, you'd get a +1 to your initiative roll, but you'd cast the spell that round.

All that said, I could also see the fun of OP's initiative segment idea.

Uh, hi. You can call me arth if you don't want to type out my full name. I'd just like to say I've been catching up from the beginning, and I've finally also caught up on the forum posts. Great job guys. This is the way I wish my games would go.

I first started playing D&D back in the '70s, with the blue book edition and first edition AD&D. This was before Basic and Expert editions, for the young 'uns. Since then I've played every edition except 2nd, and many other RPGs besides. I, like Sark, always seem to be the GM rather than a player.

I don't follow any other Earwolf productions, and don't know Brian or any of the others from a bar of soap, don't read Deadpool, but roleplaying games have been a large part of my whole life (and I'm coming fast up on 44), and I just want to say that this podcast is the best. Sark has a real knack for description - I first took note of it as he described the giant eye opening in the water plane. I'm never unclear what's going on. The story is also fantastic. I love the way Sark has taken it out of the regular D&D genre and turned it into a space fantasy. Love it. Also love the fan art thread. I have the artistic talent of a toadstool, so I really appreciate get a kick out of seeing some of the art other people make.

Oh - when I say I don't know Brian, I have an inkling that he might be the hunter guy from Brütal Legend. If you can somehow find a way to ask him "How many is that" and he responds "twelve", I'll be sure.

• Like 2

I looked it up - it's actually simpler than your initiative slot system.. here's what The Holy Text (2nd Ed) says regarding casting time:

My interpretation would be, that as soon as your place in the initiative queue comes up, you cast the spell. Your wizard having to mumble the words and do a bit of hand-waving makes it more likely that you will cast your spell later in the round.

This would also mean you'd have to state your intention to cast a spell before rolling initiative, and not just when your turn comes up.

So in the case of the aforementioned Light, which has a casting time of 1, you'd get a +1 to your initiative roll, but you'd cast the spell that round.

All that said, I could also see the fun of OP's initiative segment idea.

True almost all cleric spells cast quicker than mage spells, with a few exceptions.... one very important one being 'Hold Person'....