🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ill Neal

Blues Brothers 2000 (1998)

i've never seen this movie. but for some reason it popped in my head earlier toinght and HDTGM was the immediate next thing that popped in my head.

the first one was good, though... OH! haha, that's why i thought about the blues brothers. i was at a hippie bar and they had a fender rhodes in the band and it reminded me of the original blues brothers which lead me to:

I mostly remember this being boring and not funny, but I only saw it the one time. That was enough for me.

I never made it past the part where the voodoo priestess turns them into dancing zombies for a musical number.

Has there ever been a decent sequel where the last movie was over 10 year prior? The only one I can think of is Rambo 4.

I never made it past the part where the voodoo priestess turns them into dancing zombies for a musical number.

Has there ever been a decent sequel where the last movie was over 10 year prior? The only one I can think of is Rambo 4.

"The Color of Money"!

I have to lend my support to this choice, having been subjected to the film recently. Its crimes:

-The movie begins and we see Dan Aykroyd leaving prison, to be informed his brother has died.The scene is played straight and the tone is sombre. But then the movie subsequently features the wackiest hijinks imaginable. Death doesn't seem quite so serious in a universe that contains singing zombies.

-John Belushi is (inadequately) replaced with three new "Brothers", John Goodman, Miles Dyson from Terminator 2 and a surly orphan kid. Goodman and Dyson are fine, I guess, but the kid is a problem. Who wants to see a Blues Brothers movie about growing up and accepting the responsibilities of fatherhood!? Their character arc, as far as I can tell, occurs offscreen. In one scene Dan Aykroyd and the kid don't get on. In the very next scene the kid has basically become a little Blue Brother, singing and dancing, with no antipathy toward Aykroyd any more.

-Almost all of the film is recycled plot points from original. He has to put the band back together again (again), they are chased by police, they are chased by a Russian gang (this movie's Neo-Nazis), Aretha Franklin sings a song about respecting her and then her husband leaves her to join the band. There is even a comically over the top chase and police car pile up. But the movie doesn't 1-up it. If anything it 1-downs it.

-The original stretched the boundaries of what is physically possible to comic effect (surviving a building exploding, super high backflips in the church, the car chase).This film is basically a cartoon. People are transformed into rats, zombies and, in one instance, a Blue Brother. Dan Aykroyd hides in a glove compartment. The band can summon ghost riders in the sky. The car is a submarine.

-It has '2000' in its title just to seem futuristic or modern or something. The movie was released in 1998.

-Singing zombies.

This is one of those movies where every so often you just go "what the fuck am I watching?"

In particular, there is a giant car crash scene that calls back to the glory days of Smokey & The Bandit and the first BB movie-- except it goes on FOREVER. Like Sideshow Bob stepping on the rakes-- starts off funny, then is terrible, then is so terrible it is funny, then is terrible...and it never quite makes it back to funny again. It kind of just stays at "fuck you, audience, for making us make this movie."

• Like 1

The best part of the whole movie is the battle of the bands at the end, and the all-star line-up of musicians in the Louisiana Gator Boys band. Just to name a few--BB King, Eric Clapton, Isaac Hayes, Billy Preston, Dr. John, Lou Rawls, Bo Diddley, Clarence Clemons, Jon Faddis, Joshua Redman, Grover Washington Jr. Travis Tritt, Jimmie Vaughan, etc... Plus, all the cameos throughout the movie--Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Wilson Pickett, Jonny Lang.... if you're really into blues/jazz/R&B music, then its worth watching just to see all those great musicians. Other than, its a completely forgettable movie.

• Like 1

I've never seen this either, but I saw a bit of it on TV relatively recently. Where Dan Akyroyd and John Goodman, for some reason, go to see Billy Dee Williams (I think; can't remember. It wasn't *that* recently on TV) who works at a call center that turns out to be one of those "Talk to our Live, Hot Girls" hotlines. Obviously it's filled with ugly, old chicks. And for some reason, this warrants a HUGE musical number.

I found it baffling and fascinating. And i want someone to talk about it, and every other part of this movie, and explain it to me. And I want those people to be Paul, June, Zooks, Baby, and (hilarious guest). Also want to know in-depth why it's such a massive letdown compared to the first film, which I also have only seen bits and pieces of... though far more of BB2000.

Sign in to follow this