🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 8 — Who’s Got My Goo Balls?

How about this? Analyze Phish Mini-episodes that are done like DVD commentary tracks. So you could have one or two long Phish songs played in their entirety. Have Harris and guest(s) talk over the song throughout. Point out what parts they like/don't like, etcetera. Mix it the way DVD commentaries are mixed ... the conversation on top of the song is the main thing you wanna hear, but you have the music underneath at enough of a volume that listeners have a good idea of what's going on. If Harris requests extra attention be paid to a certain passage, everyone can hush up for a moment ... and the volume of the music turned up a little bit ...

Might be fun.

I don't think that would be legal. I don't know if there's a hard limit, but you'll generally only hear ~30 seconds of a song on podcasts because anything more than that would require getting rights to play it. It might be different if they were consistently talking over it, though. Then again, given that all of this deals with recordings that are technically illegal and can't be bought from the artist/label, it's pretty safe to say that no one would pursue it, but I'd guess Earwolf would still rather avoid that sort of thing entirely.

• Like 1

One other thing - the "Suite Life of Zack and Cody" attack could also be made against a lot of improv comedy. And the defense - that the performers are collectively making something with the audience, and therefore it should be evaluated with different criteria - is exactly the same. Not every minute is the best thing ever, but you can't have the highs without the lows. I guarantee if you jumped 44 minutes into an episode of Comedy Bang Bang, you'd be pretty bewildered by what was happening. Not that you can really hold this against Tom, but for other members of the Earlwolf community, it's something you should consider. That isn't to say you should like something you don't, but it's just not fair to use the same criteria one would use to judge a non-improvisational act against Phish. It would be like faulting Comedy Bang Bang for not sounding like Mitch Hedberg or Dmitri Martin.

• Like 1

I understand what you're saying, but I think there's a difference. I like a lot of Jazz, Krautock, Post-Rock and I can understand the impatience people have with long songs, and certainly to something like Godspeed You Black Emperor you can find yourself wishing they didn't have to build up quite so slowly, but it's rare that there's a part of the song that actually sounds terrible to me, at worst it's just a bit dull.

And I've liked a couple of songs or even just bits of songs I've heard over the course of these podcasts, but it's not going to change all the parts I thoughts were awful.

Scharpling is making the most salient points about why this is awful. Perfect!

This was amazing.

"Guitar Center Rock" !

Harris' claim that Miles Davis is "a terrible version of Phish" is just... I think the real problem in the end is that Harris has...shall I say, questionable taste? ;)

If you like improvisational music with elements of prog, jazz, & funk, (which could describe both 70's Miles and also Phish), and you LOVE Phish while actively *disliking* the real classic 70's fusion stuff, its just a case of poor taste methinks!

I'd love to hear a version of the show where someone (like a DJ w/ legit music knowledge -- Scharpling fits the bill) tries to convince Harris that Phish actually aren't so great, by playing him better music, like actually respectable prog, 70's fusion records, etc :D

Just have Vance host it. Give Tom a break.

• Like 1

I understand what you're saying, but I think there's a difference. I like a lot of Jazz, Krautock, Post-Rock and I can understand the impatience people have with long songs, and certainly to something like Godspeed You Black Emperor you can find yourself wishing they didn't have to build up quite so slowly, but it's rare that there's a part of the song that actually sounds terrible to me, at worst it's just a bit dull.

And I've liked a couple of songs or even just bits of songs I've heard over the course of these podcasts, but it's not going to change all the parts I thoughts were awful.

That's fine. Again, nobody is saying anyone needs to like something that they don't like, but I think my point stands that evaluating Phish based on the same criteria we use for non-improvisational acts is a totally rigged game. Obviously it makes for a great podcast, so I'm not sure why I am bothering to belabor the point. I guess I just hope that everyone exchanging congratulatory high-fives about the (funny) criticism on this show should appreciate that in this setting its just shooting fish in a barrel (ugh, sorry). If you appreciate that dynamic - as I think every guest on the show certainly has - then it's all in good fun. When it bothers me is when it's just shitting on people's earnest attempt at art because you don't like it.

"Hey Mike, go find me Miles Davis' 'Pangaea."

Is this really orders of magnitude worse? Seriously. I'm referring to the jam at about the 8:00 mark (in Pangaea). If you like one and not the other maybe your taste is just that refined, but really? I freely concede that you need to get over the image of Gordo bobbing his head and looking like a total dork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0tvtjQTn84&t=5m58s[/url]

I love the show but I think that the premise may be wearing a bit thin. How about changing the format so that guests bring in a selection of their favorite band's music and it is played alongside Phish. The guest must then attempt to convince Harris that their music is better than Phish.

Is this really orders of magnitude worse? Seriously. I'm referring to the jam at about the 8:00 mark (in Pangaea). If you like one and not the other maybe your taste is just that refined, but really? I freely concede that you need to get over the image of Gordo bobbing his head and looking like a total dork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0tvtjQTn84&t=5m58s[/url]

It's from the Best Show. Tom plays threatens to leave the show and just play "Pangaea" (which he thinks is awful) when he's frustrated.

People who LOVE the Best Show tend to quote it endlessly. That's what I did.

Tom Sharpling is the most likable instigator I have ever heard. This was great.

It's from the Best Show. Tom plays threatens to leave the show and just play "Pangaea" (which he thinks is awful) when he's frustrated.

People who LOVE the Best Show tend to quote it endlessly. That's what I did.

Ah. Gotcha. Well, now I feel stupid, although that explains maybe why he hates Phish and I instantly loved Pangaea.

Ah. Gotcha. Well, now I feel stupid, although that explains maybe why he hates Phish and I instantly loved Pangaea.

You should listen to the show, it's the best.

I love the show but I think that the premise may be wearing a bit thin. How about changing the format so that guests bring in a selection of their favorite band's music and it is played alongside Phish. The guest must then attempt to convince Harris that their music is better than Phish.

You should go make that show! I'ma keep on doin my thang though, thankee!

• Like 3

The next idea is having Harris teaming up with Besser and tag team against Aukerman and Scharpling.

• Like 2

The next idea is having Harris teaming up with Besser and tag team against Aukerman and Scharpling.

The mere idea of of having Harris, Besser, Auckerman and Scharpling on the same podcast boggles my mind!

• Like 2

On an qualitative basis, this might be the best podcast of all time. Every single episode has made me giddy. Even the musical interludes (especially that 'flagon of rice' song) are perfect. It's like Phish were expressly created to elicit articulate disdain. I could listen to Aukerman (or his worthy stand-in Tom) pour steaming buckets of scorn on those sonic train-wrecks all day long. Every clownish lyricism is a punch line, every frat-house riff is a pratfall. Meanwhile, and best of all, Harris seems resignedly aware of the band's absurdity to anyone on the outside. It's just fucking good.

Also, I'm on my phone, but whoever suggested Zouks and Besser for future guests: I totally agree.

• Like 1

It's really fucking easy to hate Zappa.

I can understand how someone does not like a particular artist or their music. But who has the time and energy to waste on an emotional black hole like hate? How can you be so bothered by some old weirdo who kept to himself touring and writing music with a work ethic that has only been matched by the Gehngis Kahns of the world, yet was so far off the radar that unless you actively sought it out you would almost NEVER hear a note of his music? How does that prompt hate? There is this hermit that lives in the remote mountains of NC, and nobody ever sees him, but man I hate that mother fucker, and it is easy to do!!! "Add water it makes it's own sauce"

I don't think that would be legal. I don't know if there's a hard limit, but you'll generally only hear ~30 seconds of a song on podcasts because anything more than that would require getting rights to play it. It might be different if they were consistently talking over it, though. Then again, given that all of this deals with recordings that are technically illegal and can't be bought from the artist/label, it's pretty safe to say that no one would pursue it, but I'd guess Earwolf would still rather avoid that sort of thing entirely.

It would be perfectly legal. Phish lets people bootleg their shows and as long as it isn't used for profit than its fine.

I hate to break the 69 post barrier but Wittels is wonderful and I want more Wittels!!!

• Like 1

In related news, Phish is the worst fucking band on earth lol.

• Like 1

Hey Harris, here's some advice:

Nobody who isn't already a Phishhead wants to hear live Phish.

Play the studio songs! The guests will still most likely hate a lot of it, so the show won't suffer, but there's a much better chance they will like at least some. Especially if you're going to play their "composed" songs. Why would you play a complicated composition with somewhat shitty quality and a bunch of mistakes when there's a perfectly recorded version available.

As for Scharpling, he lost all credibility when he said Grateful Dead and Frank Zappa suck.

It would be perfectly legal. Phish lets people bootleg their shows and as long as it isn't used for profit than its fine.

Phish letting people do it and it being "perfectly legal" aren't the same thing. Like I said, Phish could decide that they don't want to let people do it anymore. For some dude posting bootlegs on the Internet, that's not really a problem, but for a reputable media company (which obviously is a for-profit business), that's probably not a chance they'd want to take.

• Like 2