🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Wien

Twixt

I just watched this on Netflix instant, and holy fucknuggets is this movie AWFUL.

Francis Ford Coppola wrote, produced, and directed this film starring Pete Holmes and Elle Fanning. The dialog in this movie is fucking psychotic. The plot is beyond confusing, and entirely pointless. The acting is below negative. But then, with the writing the way it is, I imagine the actors could only do so much.

This film was inspired by a bad dream Coppola had, where he woke up and couldn't fall back to sleep to finish the dream. That plays a big big part in the film. This is a movie about a guy who keeps getting rudely awakened from his sleep.

• Like 2

I got suckered into watching this movie because of Val Kilmer, he never just agrees to star in just any ones movie.. LOL

as long as the checks clear.

I guess more likely Tom Waits is what attracted me to this film, as I am a big fan of his work.. he's the Narrator of this story btw.

This movie feels like it's shot on a first generation digital cameras. before they got the lens and cameras right and everyone moved at faster then 24 frames a second, it feels like that to me. it just feels really low budget.

You think Francis Ford Coppola would make this a big production type movie but it's stinks of high heaven of low budget film making. almost like they shot it in his back yard.

My two cents on it.

• Like 1

Francis Ford Coppola wrote, produced, and directed this film starring Pete Holmes

Now there's a movie I'd watch.

• Like 1

I had to go to IMDB to make sure Pete Holmes didn't have a part, however small, in this movie.

• Like 1

You think Francis Ford Coppola would make this a big production type movie but it's stinks of high heaven of low budget film making. almost like they shot it in his back yard.

I believe, good friend, that that is exactly what they did.

Twixt was filmed at Coppola's estate in Napa County as well as locations in Lake County, California, including downtown Kelseyville and Nice.[5]

You know what's depressing? For nearly twenty years, Francis Ford Coppola was taking on mostly "for-the-paycheck" movies to pay off the debts he incurred making "One from the Heart." After "The Rainmaker," he had pretty much paid it all off, and was able to make the movies he wanted to make.

Then it took ten years for him to make another movie. It was "Youth Without Youth," a bizarre, confusing mess. Then he made "Tetro," which was good but not great. And now his latest movie is "Twixt," yet another confusing mess. Which means that most likely, the best, most genius films he made were made in the studio system, and the movies he wants to make are mostly bizarre and confusing.

• Like 1

I believe, good friend, that that is exactly what they did.

LOL, ohh the dogs in the shot, re-shoot. Mom's calling for supper, well have to carry on tomorrow.

Coppola wines gotten to his head.

You know what's depressing? For nearly twenty years, Francis Ford Coppola was taking on mostly "for-the-paycheck" movies to pay off the debts he incurred making "One from the Heart." After "The Rainmaker," he had pretty much paid it all off, and was able to make the movies he wanted to make.

Then it took ten years for him to make another movie. It was "Youth Without Youth," a bizarre, confusing mess. Then he made "Tetro," which was good but not great. And now his latest movie is "Twixt," yet another confusing mess. Which means that most likely, the best, most genius films he made were made in the studio system, and the movies he wants to make are mostly bizarre and confusing.

Damn, that is depressing when you put in perspective like that. I wonder if the making of Apocalypse Now coupled with the debt incurred from One From The Heart just kind of drained him creatively. That would break just about anyone. The fact that he's still making movies at all is heartening, at the least. But that trailer for Twixt really does make it look awful, like it's just one of the hundreds of straight to VOD movies that are on Netflix.

I also find it amusing that he's passed on his "good but not great" genes to his kids. CQ and Virgin Suicides were both pretty decent, but neither of them have produced anything near the quality of those two pictures.

Is Tetro worth watching? In spite of myself, I enjoy Vincent Gallo, but I don't recall that film ever playing in my city.

I loath Vincent Gallo, and refuse to patronize his movies with my viewership.

Is Tetro worth watching? In spite of myself, I enjoy Vincent Gallo, but I don't recall that film ever playing in my city.

It was kind of slow at times, but overall a decent picture. I'm thinking that if you like Gallo, you're more likely to enjoy the movie. (I generally don't like him, but made the exception for this movie on my "go see most black-and-white movies" policy.)

It also sounds like many of his best films were adaptations of other works. If he's writing and directing stuff now that's confusing as shit, there's really only one person to blame.

I just watched this on Netflix instant, and holy fucknuggets is this movie AWFUL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9Ylk92HJM

Francis Ford Coppola wrote, produced, and directed this film starring Pete Holmes and Elle Fanning.

i WISH IT WAS PETE HOLMES TALKING IN HIS BATMAN ACCENT ALL MOVIE LONG! That would have made this movie waay more entertaining.

• Like 2

It also sounds like many of his best films were adaptations of other works. If he's writing and directing stuff now that's confusing as shit, there's really only one person to blame.

With the exception of "The Conversation," that is startlingly dead-on as well.

Although "Youth Without Youth" was actually an adaptation, albeit of a rather obscure novella. I have no idea how faithful the movie is, though.

..starring Pete Holmes and Elle Fanning..

The resemblance between Pete and Val is uncanny...

No one mentioned what made this movie a really interesting idea: it was a film that Coppola had a tour for (or was supposed to, I don't know if it actually happened in the end) and would edit live with the score being performed live. It would be edited towards audience reactions: if the audience was responding to the humour more, he would skew it that way or if they responded more to horror or character bits, he might focus on those. It really is a cool, experimental idea. Too bad it was for this movie.

The resemblance between Pete and Val is uncanny...

In his special 'Nice try, The Devil' Pete Holmes makes a joke about looking like "lesbian Val Kilmer."

Francis Ford Coppola's, yes that's right THE Coppola, most recent movie!

Shot like a film student's first project in freshman year, Coppola said he was inspired by a dream.

Lumpy Val Kilmer plays a poor man's Stephen King who is on a book tour for his new Witchcraft novel.

But the town he stops in is more than it seems...or not really...maybe!? Edgar Allen Poe and an insane Sheriff help Val solve a mystery from a long time ago but also solve some modern ones too? Vampires? Ghosts? Devil living in a belltower?

EDGAR ALLEN POE! VAL KILMER DOING A GAY BLACK MAN IMPRESSION! AHHHH!

It didn't get a wide release unfortunatly, so it might not be prime HDTGM material...but it's on Netflix now, so watch it! and LOVE IT!

Oh man, I forgot about his gay black basketball player from the 60s. As depicted in a scene where you watch him struggle for 2 minutes to write a terrible opening sentence.

And the dialog in this at times, is Birdemician.

Sign in to follow this