🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RobinKean

High Spirits (1988)

high_spirits.jpg

Here is the trailer

When Peter Plunkett's Irish castle turned hotel is about to be repossesed, he decides to spice up the attraction a bit for the 'Yanks' by having his staff pretend to haunt the castle. The trouble begins when a busload of American tourists arrive - along with some real ghosts. Among the tourists are married couple Jack and Sharon. Sharon's father holds the mortgage on Castle Plunkett, so she's hoping to debunk the ghosts. Jack, on the other hand, after meeting pretty ghost Mary, is very eager to believe. Can there be love between a human and ghost? Jack and Mary are going to try and find out.

It's on YouTube

• Like 1

This one is nutty. And as I recall, it features ghost sex, though that's not as sexy as you might think. Also lends credence to my theory that Peter O'Toole will make your movie as long as you promise him booze.

OK, so not enough has been said about how amazing this movie is. I grew up watching it on an old VHS. it is quirky, but actually endearing and really well made.

It has 18% fresh rating on rotten tomatoes, but stars Lawrence of Arabia, Mahoney from from Police Academy, The Mom from Vacation, The Mermaid from Splash, and a pre-list (perverted) Schindler. Not to mention that it is directed and written by the director of the crying game. This movie has everything, Irishmen drinking, bad fart jokes, ghost molestation, a talking horse, Meg Tilly seducing a priest, Steve Guttenburg fucking Darryl Hanna's corpse... yes it happens... and demonic nuns setting Peter Galagar's balls on fire. They even invent a word for ghost sex in the movie (Scalping). I can't tell you how much I love this weird piece of forgotten cinema, its impossible to tell if it is horrible or wonderful.

This is the perfect time to review it as it just showed up on Amazon prime free streaming.

• Like 2

Seriously, I want to hear Jason talk about the ghost fucking.

• Like 1

I got to say as goofy as this movie is, the scene where the octopus grabbed the two kids and turned them into paper cutouts freaked me the fuck out as a kid.

I got to say as goofy as this movie is, the scene where the octopus grabbed the two kids and turned them into paper cutouts freaked me the fuck out as a kid.

Oh yeah, it was like a creepy vaudevillian theater show that came to life.

I really enjoy this movie, Daryl Hannah isnt the best actress in the world. But I think this my favorite performance of hers. The Guttenberg is effortlessly charming as is his trademark. And I remember always liking Beverly D'Angelos arc in the movie.

If you havent seen this movie yet, I couldnt recommend it more. Its just super weird, quirky, and fun throughout.

• Like 1

Its october and time to dust off some classic thrillers. The poor man's Tom Hanks, Steve Guttenberg , epic weirdo Darryl Hannah, and Liam Neeson at his sexiest..."fartin in the shower" 

So I think i've just now had an epiphany as to why I love this movie so much. My favorite ride at Disneyland when I was a kid was The Haunted Mansion and this movie especially in terms of the set, overwhelmingly remind me of it.

It's just amazing to me that a random unconnected movie can somehow better capture the vibe of the ride as opposed to the licensed movie from Disney.

Sign in to follow this