🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
hugLife

Episode 20- What did Shamar say...

Okay, I have been listening to old episodes for...research? Anyway, one question that Hayes had was what Shamar called another cast member on Survivor:

"Ace boon coon"

That basically is a term that some brown people, mostly in the southern parts of the U.S., call people who they consider close friends.

Had to take a moment to solve a minor mystery, whether it was unsolved or not. If it was, please thank me properly.

• Like 3

I can't like this because Scott Anchorman is in league with the devil. And Satan. Or I just like too many things. Whatever.

Also, everything in your post makes me, as the whitest person anyone has ever met, very uncomfortable.

• Like 1

It would be pretty hilarious if we did all start positing in a dead forum just because. Either way, consider yourself officially "joined."

I legit wish this was still an active forum because I wanna talk about all the shittastic reality shows I'm obsessed with. Helllooooooo the trainwreck season of the Bachelor just started and I need people to hate-watch it along with me. I still am having trouble coping with the loss of the RSS in my life. hugLife, I'll talk to you all day long about Shamar's weird bravado and Brandon Hantz's mental instability.... Nm, no one will ever see this post. :(

Nm, no one will ever see this post. :(

False, I obviously check this forum for no relevant reason, and I have accepted this about myself.

I honestly haven't watched reality since the Real World/Road Rules Challenge days. But before that I am most knowledgeable in the Seattle season of Real World when that dude David (I think) slapped a girl before she went home. Veronica also spoke at a community college that I went to and she was super lame.

I would go into how I don't understand how reality tv was able to start parading subcultures as a way to breathe new life into its fading glory, but you probably won't read this.... nah, you probz will :)

• Like 1

I honestly haven't watched reality since the Real World/Road Rules Challenge days. But before that I am most knowledgeable in the Seattle season of Real World when that dude David (I think) slapped a girl before she went home. Veronica also spoke at a community college that I went to and she was super lame.

A while back MTV had a week-long marathon where they just aired old RW seasons 24/7 and so I've seen some of the older seasons (none of the newer ones except for--OF COURSE--The Challenge). So I saw RW Seattle and it's so freaking good! It was Stephen who slapped sassy-mouthed and Lyme Disease-stricken Irene. David was the one who snuck away to the phone booth to call his forbidden lover Kira, the casting director who put him on the show, and screamed "Love me, Kira! IT KILLS ME KIRA! YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW!!!!". Thank you for my sexual awakening, David! 'preeshiate it! Anyways, this season was the best because they were all fairly intelligent (relatively speaking), went to good schools and weren't gross assholes who spent all their time in the hot tub like all the other casts would do after them.

• Like 1

Yea, I mean...while it would be kind of stupid to record regular people in stressful environments, it would be way more awesome then casting people who are essentially characters (Jersey Shore) to interact with one another.

I mean, at first it seemed like reality shows were about reflecting reality for people, but then it began projecting it (the 325467 hook-ups).

As you mentioned the intelligence of the Seattle cast, that still represented the time when the shows were trying to cast people who were kind of odd, and not caricatures.

To be honest, for no reason at all, my favorite reality show was Joe Millionaire, because it was the first time that I was consciously aware of a show lying to the contestants. It was also the first time that I saw a BJ get captioned with *slurps* on television.

It seems cliché to be nostalgic of the "golden days," but I think that they were more about capturing lightening in a bottle rather than manufacturing it :(

I mean, I think the demographics of MTV have shifted younger and more heavily female. That definitely has affected their casting decisions. It is a business...

I've listened to all the RSS eps a couple of times but it's been a while. I wish they did a Wife Swap episode. That or a Millionaire Match Maker ep... did they talk about them at all?

• Like 1

If you all were given the opportunity to make a reality show about whatever you wanted, what would it be about? Assume that you had unlimited resources. Ready....go!

I'll pull one straight from my nightmares. It's kind of like Survivor. A group of people are all on a small raft floating through a lazy river all toting AK-47's. The river is filled with hungry crocodiles. Whoever makes it to the end wins. There will be betrayal, it will be cold blooded, and this time, reality BITES!

But seriously they should have reality shows about homeless people. It's a win-win.

• Like 1

I would make one that followed struggling stand-up comedians who were convinced that they would make it big, but were really just mildly funny at their very best. It would show how they put everything on the line for their dream: their job, family relationships, marriage, mortgage payments so they could focus on the art of funny.

It really wouldn't be a funny show at all, but since it was technically about comedy it would be in the "dramedy" genre. It would follow these few comedians all of the time, and it would probably be painful to watch. It would realistically get cancelled after one season but it would be the realest reality to hit tv.

I may be mistaken but I think that's already a show with Brody Stevens.

HA

• Like 1

If Survivor could somehow incorporate dating show elements a la the Bachelor it'd basically be like ecstasy to me. But then again, one of the reasons why Survivor is so great is that it DOESN'T just cast hot model types who live in LA and "want to pursue acting", nor does it emphasize fake love angles and bungee jumping representing "the start of a relationship". I love seeing homely weirdos sharing tents and competing in physical challenges. But then as an unmarried 26 year-old female just coming off a shitty breakup I can't resist the sweet siren song of The Bachelor despite knowing it's all fake and unrealistic and no one will ever take me on a date to Antigua and ask me how many children I want to have 15 minutes into knowing them.

Oh and this is reminding me of something. Did you guys know that Survivor actually started in Sweden? It was called "Expedition Robinson". I've been watching this shit since I was wee lass... Anyhow, I distinctly remember that they incorporated love angles into the show. 2 tribes were separated, and every season they would force someone on the tribe to send a date card aka "message in a bottle" to a member of the opposing tribe. Then they'd have some ridiculous date on the island. I forget the rest.

• Like 1

Now, please forgive my ignorance in the reality show realm because I really don't watch tv at all (in the serious way, not the Sean way), but did Temptation Island have challenges on it? I know that they sent couples out there and then spilt them up in respective groups of man-hoes and lady-hoes to make them cheat on each other, but I really don't want to believe that there was nothing else in between.

I know that they would show the couples the tapes of their partner cheating and have them make decisions on the spot, and I think that a show like that would do well again. Get some homely weirdos sharing tents and throw a hot tub in the mix. It seems like it would work to me.

@Freja, would you really want a guy to fly you to another country and immediately start talking about you churning out some of his kids? If you settle for a local bar, I am sure that you could find countless guys to eerily talk to you about how fertile you are. Not to fall too hard into a dating tangent, but I feel like being single is the new married, so you are actually a trendsetter :)

I don't think I was living in America when Temptation Island came out so I can't speak on that. Sounds like a show my idiot brain would enjoy, though! The more educated I become, the more apt I am to try to override it with the shittiest reality TV imaginable. If Temptation Island had a bunch of uggos on it, I'd be even more intrigued. Since you mentioned my fertility, did you know that I'm named after the Norse goddess of fertility?! What are the odds.

I hate being single.

The Norse goddess of fertility? I don't know if you have always dreamed of living up to your name, but it sounds like it would be rather exhausting for you.

Also, just hop on okcupid or something and join the singling/mingling club. Swedish girls are so in for 2014, you will have your pick of the lot (just watch out for cat allergies!).

You know, there should be a reality show that pairs up those profiles randomly. It would be like MTV's Next, except there is nothing after the dates but a mild sense of shame and regret.

• Like 1

This forum has gotten extremely personal. Holy Shit.

Unless we're just prudes here and talking about one's fertility is commonplace elsewhere. I don't really know.

Anyway, been watching the new Real World, it's awesome. End of story.

Sorry I offended you, Chanson. I'm in the medical field so I sometimes forget that people are skeeved out by body-talk and forget what is and is not appropriate. Not that that's what we were even talking about... more like joking about The Bachelor, but whatever. I'll shut up now :)

Been watching the new RW, too, per your recommendation. Holy shit! Some thoughts: Ashley was a next-level drunk and I fear for her safety... I hate Corey because in one of the early episodes he was clearly about to take advantage of her but then Jenny stumbled into his path and so he just slept with her instead. Thomas and Jamie are a weird couple and the way in which they became boyfriend-girlfriend was more childish than the time in 4th grade when this kid Stybjorn asked me out on a piece of paper that directed me to circle "yes" or "no" if I would be his girlfriend. The guy whose mother died doesn't seem too ripped up about it... I think he thinks the Real World is gonna be a career changer for him or something... but at this rate he isn't really much of a personality so it's doubtful he'll be called up to join The Challenge (the only foreseeable career path the Real World can launch you into, I guess...)

Where's my purse?

• Like 1

It's cool. I was fake offended. You know, for comedy or whatever. A lot of my friends are currently in med school, so I'm pretty desensitized to that stuff by now.

Which one did you circle? Stybjorn sounds like a total homie. I would totally bro-down with him, maybe get some pointers in how to seduce women... I bet he's got some moves these days.

Ashley seems to have an identity crisis. Is she from West Virginia or is she from San Francisco? San Francisco cannot be your city if you have a southern accent. I'm sorry, but she'd be hunted down and killed by roving bands of militant lesbians (and not the good kind) if they knew she was living in their city. Fortunately for her, they don't believe in watching TV because it's a tool used by the patriarchy to keep us all dumb and unthreatening. This patriarchy seems really great if they keep giving us shows like The Real World.

I thought Thomas was my favorite but as time has gone on, I think he's got the emotional intelligence of a 12 year-old. Jamie seemed cool too, but she's just a possessive insecure control freak too. Albeit a really chill one who I would want to be friends with. So now captain DJ is my favorite, because he seems like a real homie, but he needs to figure his shit out.

In the most recent episode the exes arrived. It was cuh-razzzzy.

Okay, so I don't watch tv at all, so I really can't hold my weight in here anymore. So, I will just add more subjects to discuss:

Would you go to an Earwolf convention if there was a podcast version of Comic con?

...If it was in Seattle, yes. I don't see why it would be, but yeah. Otherwise the getting there would be an issue. I guess Bumbershoot is kinda like an Earwolf convention because some of the podcasts come and do live shows, which is pretty great.

PodCon... I don't know. I know it would be cool, but I still hate the idea with every ounce of my being. Is that wrong?

I can't say if it is wrong or not. What aspect of the idea is spawning the hatred?

I can't say if it is wrong or not. What aspect of the idea is spawning the hatred?

God damn you and your postmodern moral relativism. JUDGE ME DAMNIT!

I'm not sure what's wrong about it. It may be my elitist and somewhat bigoted opinion that anything like a convention is gauche and ought to be ridiculed. It may also be the contempt I have for people who get to enjoy themselves in large groups. I don't know.

Sign in to follow this