🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 157 — Mumble Pie

Sit back and enjoy as the lead singer of The National, Matt Berninger melts your earholes with his baritone voice on today’s WHO CHARTED! Matt tells us how the song The National wrote for The Hunger Games almost didn’t make it for being to dark as he helps countdown Billboard’s Top 5 Alternative Songs Chart. He then shares a story involving Superman and The Lone Ranger during the Movie Chart. Later, Matt reveals what his tattoo says and the times he’s had to deal with drunks while performing as he answers your Twitter questions! Remember to pick up the Who Charted? Holiday Bundle and a pair of Kulap Vilay-SOCKS over at the Earwolf store!

Had to do a Moonraker-style pigeon double take when I saw who the guest was today. I'm a HUUUUUUUUUGE National fan! This is exciting!

• Like 1

As far as "lady National" bands go, The Jezabels come pretty close in my opinion:

The false start on Rudolph the White Nosed Reindeer had me rolling.

Oh, and when he asks how the reindeer breathe underwater, Poseidon says they're just seas lions painted like reindeer. But sea lions also can't breathe underwater. I love all of this.

• Like 1

As far as "lady National" bands go, The Jezabels come pretty close in my opinion

LOVE them. Hadn't seen this video before, thanks @mwn!

Also is "The National" a band I am supposed to know about because I sure have no idea who they are or what their music sounds like

A fun episode everyone!

While I do not know The National's work that much, Matt was a fun and out of the box choice as guest for Whooch.

And what's up with Howard's face? Mid-stroke shot? Summah Withdrawl?

I really enjoyed this episode.

As a fan of The National, I would recommend to anyone even remotely interested should listen to their album High Violet. If you don't like it, you definitely won't like the rest of their work. They're pretty accessible, though. It's not like they're math rock.

Damn straight you better plug Cholula, Kulap. The girl has good taste!

Also is "The National" a band I am supposed to know about because I sure have no idea who they are or what their music sounds like

I'd say if you like things like Psychedelic Furs, Interpol or Devotchka then they're probably up your alley. Post-punk Americana maybe? If you are not familiar with any of those groups, I am sorry because this comment is likely of no help to you.

If you're looking for a starting point, Boxer is probably their most accessible/commercial album.