🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 110 — Tony the Pony

Join Seth Morris, Jon Gabrus, and Mary Holland as they search for the perfect improv group name, use their expertise to record a professional fire insurance commercial, and fend off a sentient Happy Birthday sign on this week’s improv4humans! You can now get the UCB Comedy Improv Manual at http://ucbstore.com/books/the-upright-citizens-brigade-comedy-improvisation-manual, Matt Besser’s new comedy album at mattbesser.com, Dragoon’s new album at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com, and a new improv4humans t-shirt at the Earwolf store!

Naked Babies is a terrible name, I wanted to find out who the other members are but I am too afraid to search it.

• Like 2

I had an equally cynical reaction to that video of the guy seeing his wife when I saw it but according to a nurse friend of mine its actually not that uncommon. Apparently (so I have been told) the part of his brain that would allow him to consciously recognize her still hasn't recovered but the part that governs his emotional reaction to things has.

So from his perspective he has all these feelings of love, ease and familiarity for this complete stranger so his drugged up brain rationalizes it as "you're gorgeous!"

I mean lets be honest fellas no one is more beautiful than the girl you are in love with :P

• Like 1

Damn, Gabrus is all over this week. I4H, Comedy Bang Bang, and You Made It Weird within 48 hours.

That prayer scene was great.

Also, I'm definitely getting myself the improv manual for Christmas (or coercing someone to get it for me).

• Like 2

were the bleeps only for the N-word? I thought MAYBE I heard one on the K-word, but seemed like just N to me.

Either way, I want to feel indignant and free speechy and all that, but...I actually get it; it's literally the one word that is universally a "what the FUCK" word, instead of just a "oh lordy someone said fuck my poor ears." If I was listening to I4H in public and someone heard that...it'd be 10x more embarrassing than any of the sex/bodily fluid related scenes, the word cunt, et all. I'm assuming Matt Besser agreed and doesn't have a huge problem with it, but maybe he will chime in with something different.

were the bleeps only for the N-word? I thought MAYBE I heard one on the K-word, but seemed like just N to me.

Either way, I want to feel indignant and free speechy and all that, but...I actually get it; it's literally the one word that is universally a "what the FUCK" word, instead of just a "oh lordy someone said fuck my poor ears." If I was listening to I4H in public and someone heard that...it'd be 10x more embarrassing than any of the sex/bodily fluid related scenes, the word cunt, et all. I'm assuming Matt Besser agreed and doesn't have a huge problem with it, but maybe he will chime in with something different.

The N-word has been in the show before bleeped and not bleeped (if I remember right). Matt did explain his rationale at one point, but I probably can't desrcibe it properly off the top of my head.

Something along the lines of 'sometimes it's just so out of place and potentially jarring; and if it doesn't specifically add anything to the scene' then it gets bleeped.

Naked Babies is a terrible name, I wanted to find out who the other members are but I am too afraid to search it.

a17iau.jpg

• Like 3

Damn, Gabrus is all over this week. I4H, Comedy Bang Bang, and You Made It Weird within 48 hours.

It's funny. Two Earwolf episode for Gabrus. Both had jazz scat.

• Like 1

hi i realy liked your show mr besser thank you for making it for me

• Like 1

The early stuff in this episode takes me back to coming up with a million different band names and ideas for what my rock band would be like, but never bothering to pick up an instrument.

Anyway, this episode, like all episodes of I4H, was fantastic. The amnesia/stenographer sketch was great.

AND, oh my God, there've been times where my alarm clock would go off, and I'd be awake before my brain even processed it properly. I just kinda stumbled around like a Frankenstein monster and looked at my clock like an ape trying to figure it out or something.

This episode just touches on all kinds of weird memories for me.

• Like 2

Besser is right! Gabrus is out of his mind! 'Upright Citizens Brigade" is infinitely better than forgettable gibberish like "Tibrus" or whatever... Sounding "like a political group" I think is part of the idea..it sounds mysterious, iconic, etc. Tibrus is nonsense that is just forgettable :-)

• Like 1

yeah the ucb tv show was very important to me when i watched it as a teenager and the name was definitely part of what drew me to it to begin with, i was like "what the h*ck is this weird sounding show doing on the stand up comedy and snl rerun channel?" and then was hooked

dang i wrote a lot of words my hands are cramping my heart is racing im sweating like mad

• Like 3

"Climb up the tail, slide down the trunk." Amazing. The guy in the YouTube video actually sounded like Besser doing a character even before they did a scene out of it. If I'm interpreting the store plugs at the end correctly, I think I've officially earned a place in Matt's burn list, and it's a real honor.

Matt Besser is the single best salesman I have ever heard. I RUSHED to the Earwolf store to see everything he hyped up so much.

• Like 2

That last skit was pitch-perfect. I lost it at, "Wait, Tibrus? What an excellently named God!" >>> "I disagree..."

rofl! Every single one of the performers were super-quick witted to pull off so many callbacks, so quickly at the end there. Props to Mary for starting that all with the Tibrus callback. Love this podcast!

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this