🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
NerdPoka

Is anyone else liking Damien more than Amarth?

(Spoiler below)

When Amarth slipped off the rope and began free falling, I was worried for Nerd Poker. Brian was the only one I was concerned about for making a new character. Amarth was the embodiment of Brian Posehn. I'd like to imagine that if Brian was somehow kidnapped by the collectors and held kidnapped with the other characters like at the very beginning of the campaign, Brian wouldn't have done one damn thing differently than Amarth did.

But Damien fits Brian's personality perfectly, and I've been laughing my ass off everytime he speaks and I think he is the most exhilarating character right now, not to mention most mysterious. And he also pisses Gerry off which is great.

Just wanted to know what everything thinks about Damien? It's awesome that this show just keeps getting better and it seems like it has a lot of momentum left in it.

I personally think that Brian could play a quadriplegic bard and still be a fantastic character simply because he's got a lot of character to him. The guy's been a comic forever and has been playing D&D long enough to know how to flesh out a character, whether that character seems perfect at the onset or not. A good character is kind of an aspect of who you are, any way you slice it, so with this kind of tallent at the helm, I'm not worried for the show at all. I'll be listening until they decided not to put the podcast out any longer.

And then I'll riot.

That said, i loved Amarth, Damien is better, and Gerry's Sir Richard is my favorite.

• Like 1

Amarth let Brian sit back and be pure Id, which while fun, didn't force him to stretch much. Damien makes him actually scheme and roleplay in a proactive way that spices up the group dynamic.

• Like 6

Really no love For El Ryan and Spirit Bear!!!

Amarth and Damien are merely two sides of the same coin.... a coin made of

METAL!!!!!!!

:::::insert sweet 18 mintue guitar solo from Kerry King::::::

• Like 3

Yeah hands down El Ryan was the best character the show had/has but eh that's how it goes.

Yeah, El Ryan died at the highest peak of awesome. We would have all loved to see him alive, but what makes him so memorable is that he died in his prime.

• Like 1

That's a toughy...

El Ryan was insane and had his glorious spirit bear with him which made him such a fun character...but I feel that Sir Richard is the overall better character - he is more dimensional. I love that Sir Richard is virtually the opposite of El Ryan yet somehow still has the same charasitics that we all love. One of the best moments of the show is on Sir Richard's second episode, when he blocks Amarth from killing that guy (even though Amarth shoves him aside, anyways) - it's like Brian and Gerry couldn't resist having argumentative DnD characters - like nature forces them to have conflict.

I personally feel terror for the show every time one is dying or dead. Instantly no matter who is in trouble my brain goes "no! That's the best one!" So I can't really say who I think is best.

I think I agree with el Ryan dying at his prime of awesomeness, but I can't help but wonder what background Gerry had made for him, which would explain why Gerry takes his characters deaths hard (he puts a lot more into them than we see or ever get to know).

Damien is a fun character, and I think:

- this amarth guy sounds swell

and

- if only someone were here to break this kids neck

helps keep that extra flavor in our memories so Damien is a bonus rather than much of a loss.

This discussion makes me excited for what they will come up with next.

El Ryan was great, but when Gerry plays Sir Richard, you can hear him thinking like a paladin. He makes decisions based on his character's brain instead of his, which is awesome.

They're both awesome, but my vote goes to Sir Richard. "Does this look infected?"

• Like 2

El Ryan was great, but when Gerry plays Sir Richard, you can hear him thinking like a paladin. He makes decisions based on his character's brain instead of his, which is awesome.

They're both awesome, but my vote goes to Sir Richard. "Does this look infected?"

• Like 2

El Ryan... cause paladins are tools.... just my Evil Wizard opinion...

I loved the El Ryan / Sark interactions so much. Sir Richard is just Gerry on his own, but El Ryan was Gerry using Sark as a straightman as he argued about what Spirit Bear could and couldn't do. He is the one that really sucked me into the podcast.

• Like 1

So, this may be a little off topic, but...does anyone else have theories about Damein's backstory? Like, why does he ping evil, but doesnt *seem* evil? I dont even know if this is possible, but could he be the child of a clone?

• Like 1

So, this may be a little off topic, but...does anyone else have theories about Damein's backstory? Like, why does he ping evil, but doesnt *seem* evil? I dont even know if this is possible, but could he be the child of a clone?

He's either Lawful Evil or Neutral Evil, but most definitely not Chaotic Evil.

• Like 1

He may also have been pumped full of evil sauce when he was hooked up to the giant laundromat. When they found the first few hooked up guys, there was both something flowing into and out of their bodies through the milk tubes. There was also a point at which we were led to believe that the hooked up guy that wasn't unconscious was trying to say "Save my wife" but changed it to "Save my world" and also a hesitation before blood writing "Kill the women." This could have been interpreted as him being controlled by the necromancer. Since they detected evil on Parn until after the necromancer's first message to them, I wonder if Damien didn't have a little help. I am also nervous that he may be in danger of future possession. He may well be evil, I'm just throwing out another possibility if we find out that his alliance is good or neutral.

• Like 1

I was thinking he might be, like, the angsty son of the Necromancer.

• Like 2

Like, why does he ping evil, but doesnt *seem* evil?

I was reading that as he's made a public commitment to evil, so he's pinging evil, but he's really just a sad poseur looking for attention. In other words, a typical goth.

At some point his brother will show up… "Todd, c'mon, it's time to take grandma to Olive Garden!"

Like, why does he ping evil, but doesnt *seem* evil?

I was reading that as he's made a public commitment to evil, so he's pinging evil, but he's really just a sad poseur looking for attention. In other words, a typical goth.

At some point his brother will show up… "Todd, c'mon, it's time to take grandma to Olive Garden!"

...and this is why i post here. So many great theories, and hilarity to boot! I dont know if anyone has told you guys this today, but you're awesome <3

"Goths" get way too much crap, I know from experience. However if Damien starts claiming to be a vampire when he is not, I really hope this happens.

Named after a time period when you have to be tough as nails while loafing around smoking bullshit...

• Like 1

Those aren't things I'd admit to liking or doing on the internet, but maybe that's just me....

edit: I see you edited out everything incriminating Uncle Dracula, including being a juggalo. Good on you.

• Like 1