🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 78 — Crossroads

I am so glad Jason brought up the comparison to Saturday Night Fever. A few years ago I decided to rent that and watch it all the way through not on tv with commercials and absolutely couldn't believe no one had ever told me that the fun disco movie with the BeeGees soundtrack ends with a rape and an abortion-related suicide.

I also clearly wasn't paying attention when I watched Crossroads in the theatre at 13...this movie is RUUUF STUUFF

• Like 3

I also clearly wasn't paying attention when I watched Crossroads in the theatre at 13...this movie is RUUUF STUUFF

Yeah, this is actually one of the darker movies they have done on the podcast so far, in my opinion.

There's Tom Waits (Dracula, Mystery Men).

Holy smokes. Mystery Men is one of my favorite movies of all time and I completely missed that Dr. Heller was played by Tom Waits. This makes my day.

Can we also talk about the insane amount of money they made in tips from the karaoke contest?

Who on Earth would tip a whole $10 for an okay karaoke performance?

You can see more 0s in there, which means there were multiple somebodies who tipped at least $10. Those could be $20s, although given the production budget I think $10 was probably the max. However, I think we can figure out more.

I remember Daddy Anson saying when they counted the money "It's enough for the radiator. And the trip." So they made enough to fix the radiator, which was $350 (is that right?). With some other numbers, we should be able to crunch how much was in that jar.

Distance from Nawlins to LA: 1829 miles

Price of gas in 1999: $1.30 (ermagerd)

Fuel economy: 10 mpg (let's be generous)

Food, hotel, minibar raid: $1000 (just swagging this one, but my assumption is at least 2 hotel stays, convenience store food for 5 people - Mimi is eating for 2 - and the amount of alcohol and Pepsi from the minibar based on minibar prices I've seen)

(183 gallons of gas * $1.30) => $238 + $350 + $1000 = $1588

That's an implausible amount of tip money for singing "I Love Rock and Roll" at a karaoke bar even if everyone was really drunk.

• Like 3

But that doesn't explain why the main posed photo of the hosts and guests would be missing someone.

You're getting too close to the truth, KUMAIL.

• Like 4

Guys, there is a convergence with another HDTGM movie. I just saw Road House and realized that Anson Mount has morphed into Sam Elliott.

Proof:

Anson+Mount+Anonymous+Screening+Arrivals+5PG4zE29bpOl-150x150.jpg

dirtbag_9_sam.jpg

• Like 1

It seems like there's a Justin somebody or other who's don't a bunch of films and used to be a musician. I'm sure the name will come to me.

Can I also add I was not the least bit surprised that this was written by Shonda Rhimes? I have no beef with her (BEEF OVER!) but this kind of melodramatic tragedy is her bread and butter.

• Like 2

What if Dan Aykroyd hates the idea of pregnant women because Kim Cattrall once was a pregnant woman and it just soured him on the idea of women during and after pregnancy? You know because she's a sociopath.

What if Dan Aykroyd hates the idea of pregnant women because Kim Cattrall once was a pregnant woman and it just soured him on the idea of women during and after pregnancy? You know because she's a sociopath.

Deleted scene:

"You were running around with a woman who wears nothing but khaki?!"

• Like 1

I thought zooks was gonna make fun of the girls burying memories.

"My dad thinks I'm at your house... My mom thinks I'm at yours...

What are you putting in? - It's supposed to be a secret...

...deeper!...Deep! ...We don't wanna get caught...

..I want some dirt."

June, I will love you forever for your love for "Adventures in Babysitting." Still one of my favorite movies, and, you're right, the opening kills.

Young Britney Spears was played by her real life sister Jamie Lynn Spears. I can't believe no one mentioned this.

Sign in to follow this