🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 57 — Saving Trondoor

I was just being silly, sorry, nuance doesn't play on the internetz. I'm sure they get SOME cash, it's a hell of a commitment without at least a bit of a handout, and Brian's name/beautiful face is what arguably brings all the boys to the yard, (though even a casual listener knows the show suffers when *anyone* is missing) but yes, I think we all know there's nothing about the Earwolf empire that seems particularly lucrative.

I would hope that this whole thing is just for fun and no one really gets paid other then renting the recording equipment. I'd hate this is podcast would ruin their original fun that they had before the podcast.

I don't mind Nerd Poker missing a week, but is there any way we could be notified when it happens?

You can follow Earwolf on Twitter or Facebook, or follow Mr. Sark on Twitter.

I have just done all 3 of these things. Still, it would be nice to have something on the web page and/or itunes, even just a prerecorded message.

No offense but the episode not appearing on your feed or the main site is a message in itself.

An ambiguous message at best. In the past when I have checked the site and not found Nerd Poker as expected, most of the time it was either available on a different source or rectified within the hour. I think there has only been one other time when I didn't find the podcast as expected, then found out it wouldn't be available this week.

It's not like this is a thing that always goes up at the exact same minute, and you can instantly know it won't be there because you don't see it available when you check in, at, say 12:01 AM California time. The upload time isn't exact--they usually go up over the course of 5-10 minutes. There have been times when this and other podcasts were late, though. Many things can happen to delay a podcast--error in upload, server problems, high traffic usage. Frequently it will be available on certain sources faster than others. Or sometimes it will be available but not register on the front page for some reason.

Part of the reason this is an issue for me is because the Earwolf podcasts go up right about when I'm getting ready to finish work (5PM my time zone). So I like to download the podcast as soon as it is up so I can listen on my commute home. So usually I start checking the Earwolf site right around the time they might go up, as I'm doing other work. So if Nerd Poker isn't available with the other Wednesday podcasts I immediately notice, and start to wonder if it won't be up this week. Because I really want to download it before going home if I can, I'll frequently check and recheck and it becomes a matter of do I want to stay at work another 5 minutes just to see if Nerd Poker is up? That's what happened to me on Wednesday, and eventually I just figured it probably wasn't available this week and went home. But I just hate that feeling of uncertainty, that maybe the moment I turn off the computer and start going home it will be available.

I realize my case is exceptional. For most people this goes up in the middle of the night so they don't check until morning, and if the podcast isn't available 5 hours after the scheduled time it is indeed a much clearer message that the podcast won't be available.

The fact that no one has chimed in means that there can't be many people who agree with me, and I may be literally the only person checking the site at the exact upload time who wasn't also checking Twitter and the Facebook page. And since I plan on checking both from now on, hopefully it won't be an issue for me either.

I got to agree with the comments about letting "Damien" slide. I mean "Sir Richard" slapped "Blackie" around for a lot less than they are putting up with from "Damien".

I was just being silly, sorry, nuance doesn't play on the internetz. I'm sure they get SOME cash, it's a hell of a commitment without at least a bit of a handout, and Brian's name/beautiful face is what arguably brings all the boys to the yard, (though even a casual listener knows the show suffers when *anyone* is missing) but yes, I think we all know there's nothing about the Earwolf empire that seems particularly lucrative.

We're just playing for fun. The podcast was a good excuse for us to get back together after we hadn't played in a while. Wouldn't mind if it turned a dime someday but as it stands right now, priority-wise, it suffers from all the usual hangups that a normal D&D game suffers. Sick days. Day jobs and other gigs. Family stuff. Could be seen as adding to the realism :)

• Like 3

Thanks for chiming in, Sark! I know most podcasts are a labor of love, but I always figured maybe Scott Aukerman was independently wealthy and/or devised this empire to at least spread the little bit of Squarespace advertising money (don't even tell me they get that much ad time just for trade for hosting the shows!?) around (can Ken get paid "scale?" har) and share resources and make it a bit more 'professional,' and "regular" which it does. Blown away that you guys have put in (at a minimum) 2 or 3 hours every other week to do this without anything to show for it but a bunch of rather awesome drawings. I actually have a dumb gift for all of you guys but I'm saving it for Brian's Chicago show coming up, maybe I'll throw in some cash too, or at least buy a bunch of mersh. Does Brian bring NP mersh on tour? Does Aukerman hoard all that cash, too? BASTARD! ;). You guys have been one of the most anticipated highlights of my week for a couple years now, I think if more people realized you don't get paid at all, they'd be happy to send money. And for Bahamut's sake, don't feel bad about taking a week off, screw the complainers, you don't owe us anything!

Registered on the site just to comment on this specific episode - Sark's portrayal of the dwarf king had me in stitches.

'Quite the merchant Paladin...' :D

Sign in to follow this