🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode BO2013.4 — Best of 2013 Pt 4

I was very happy to see Halfway to China breaking the top 3. I only wish in the selected clips they included Don DiMello's description of the 'Chocolate Lady' who has 'no idea what's going on.'

That line destroys everyone in the studio, and is one of my favorite things DiMello has ever said.

Here's to a great year! Cheers!

My favorite line of any episode ever. The video clip when Andy is losing before he even gets it out, and the room breaking into a frenzy afterwards, could be used to wake me from a coma. I've listened to the whole episode a dozen times and it holds up beautifully. And while Daly is at the absolute height of his brilliance Zouks served as a perfect improv foil in all of the episodes that they did together.

How can something so dark and bleak be this absurdly charming? I would have placed it #1, but given how amazing the top 2 were I can't raise too much of fuss.

• Like 3

The orgy breaking into a racist tea ceremony, and Manzoukas dissolving into laughter....goddamn. About 90 second of communal character genius.

• Like 1

I was very happy to see Halfway to China breaking the top 3. I only wish in the selected clips they included Don DiMello's description of the 'Chocolate Lady' who has 'no idea what's going on.'

That line destroys everyone in the studio, and is one of my favorite things DiMello has ever said.

Here's to a great year! Cheers!

I was pretty disappointed as well, but I suppose there wasn't time. Andy Daly's character's are always just amazing. The sheer depravity of his characters never fails to make me laugh.

It was a very strong year, and while I had hoped "Halfway to China" would be #1, I can't begrudge the one that did.

In any event, am looking forward to hearing Andy's new podcast cavalcade of the characters we've come to know and love/fear. The Don Dimello episode alone should be amazing.

• Like 3

I'll be next. I'm surprised at the lack of Horatio. My favorite episode (247 - Meadows/Sanz) seems to be pretty far down the list of most people.

But as it has been said, it's hard to disagree with the list. Just a bunch of really strong episodes this year. Can't wait to complain about 2014's list.

Regards

Lack of Horatio was really surprising. Even from the B-B-B-B-Boooooooooonus-s-s-s-s clips.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the Best of episodes and I at least considered voting for most of the 15 episodes that won, I was surprised that Lauren Lapkus and Horatio Sanz didn't get an honourable mention for there first full year, I was thinking maybe next year the bonus clips could be like the Best of 2010 with categories such as Best New Guest, Best New Character, Best Debut, Best Non-Character Episode etc. just a suggestion. PS I thought Marissa would have finally Womped it up to number one but can't really complain about anything.

Can't forget Gabrus

• Like 1

I just want to second all the comments heralding the talents and appearances of Lapkus, Sanz, and Gabrus. They all BROUGHT. IT. All year. On CBB as well as improv4humans.

Sanz's i4h appearances (w/Meadows and Huskey) at Bumbershoot almost made me lose all of my oxygen laughing, and he has an amazing 3-ep stint on the CBBLIVE2013 tour (see: Coco Marx with ALW and Kurt Braunohler in Detroit), and when the voting started, Chico Davis' ep immediately jumped up on my list.

2013 was the year I could not help but stand up and pay attention to Lauren Lapkus. She raises the bar of any show she is on (her i4h episodes are all must-listens), she is insanely quick-witted and sharp, her style of humor is subversive in a way that seems light-hearted and innocuous but quickly snaps down and digs in, and those eyes could bore holes through Jupiter. I love the i4h VPN episode where she plays Amy the ape, showing she doesn't need words to command a room. Lots of physical comedy in that ep.

Gabrus' Gino is an amazing intern (I can't believe Gabrus has only been on CBB twice, and both times as Gino!), and I can only hope 2014 brings us a Wompler/Gino/Reardon high school drama ep, MAYBE with Rust and Neil in there somewhere as any number of their deranged, perverted minors.

Lastly, EUGENE CORDERO. He's excellent! He has a way of delivering lines that get me EVERY TIME. ("I PET A TIGER." - i4h). I voted for his eps as well, and while it was nice to see Filipino Blockbuster get included as a b-b-b-bonus-s-s-s-s clip, I was hoping one of his eps would get voted in proper. I lit up every time he appeared (2 times?) on S02 CBBTV. I think his appearances on i4h probably outdid his CBB ones, but man alive, Titans of Comedy was so good. Nathan Fielder perfectly played put-out/annoyed by Cordero's Jazz Jazz and his insisting to take Fielder with him to his barber shop. It all escalated so naturally and perfectly. And when Jazz Jazz won WYR? Forget about it. SO funny.

Also, Ben Schwartz got the word out on one of these Best Of eps, but I watched the House of Lies Live, and if you like Bennie Schwaz, Lapkus, and Cordero, they're all there doing their thing masterfully, and in support of the other HoL actors not as skilled in the ol' improv game. Cordero especially has a great line delivery when asked to remember what he said to his girlfriend (Bell) that caused their breakup.

Lastly, and I cannot say this enough, if you have not bought the CBBLIVE2013 Tour episodes, UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HI BATMAN! go buy them.

• Like 3

@KajusX Great post sir, but this reads like a plea for a 'best of' I4H list. Also, "I Pet a Tiger" instantly made me crack up. Just the mention of it and I was drawn back to that oh so brilliant performance.

@KajusX Great post sir, but this reads like a plea for a 'best of' I4H list. Also, "I Pet a Tiger" instantly made me crack up. Just the mention of it and I was drawn back to that oh so brilliant performance.

While I appreciate the critique of my comment, my motives for including i4h are performer-based. When praising their comedic prowess, it is a must for me to acknowledge the direct correlation that some of CBB's best character guests are also some of i4h's standout performers.

I personally consider the two shows to have an intensely symbiotic relationship with each other. i4h is an extension of UCB in pedigree and style. UCBLA is where CDDR/CBB lived for 10+ years (example-- Andy Daly's album Nine Sweaters was recorded during CDDR shows over a number of weeks, and some of those characters have appeared on the podcast). Now these improv darlings appear on i4h and play with a myriad of voices, then go on CBB and knock their characters out of the park. The two go hand in hand.

• Like 2

What is the final list counting down from 1 to 15?

15 203: The Vicar of Yanks

14 204: The Pepper Men

13 211: April Fools!

12 222: A Peanut in the Rain

11 241: The Stallone Bros.

10 243: Blow Me Up Tom!

9 218: The 4th Anniversary Extravaganza!

8 229: Two Thumbs & Not Much Else

7 236: Murderer Heaven

6 199: Garry Unmarried

5 219: Farts and Procreation 3

4 245: Poehler Ice Caps

3 200: Halfway to China

2 238: Marissa Wompler's Birthday Pool Party Live

1 215: Time Bobby 2

Anyone take note of what 20-16 were?

The Correct Top 15:

15. Cake Boss

14. Cake Boss

13. Cake Boss

12. Cake Boss

11. Cake Boss

10. Cake Boss

9. Cake Boss

8. Cake Boss

7. Cake Boss

6. Cake Boss

5. Cake Boss

4. Cake Boss

3. Cake Boss

2. Cake Boss

1. Cake Boss

Too hard to vote. I thought I was voting but it apparently there was some kind of anti-Cake Boss interface where you had to choose ten but it just said the episode number and the guest names so you'd have to do research to figure out what the crap content happened each episode in order to vote?

Thank you for the free quality entertainment, I registered just to complain.

• Like 1

I can't argue with the top three choices, although I would have swapped Time Bobby 2 and Wompler personally. But this was such a strong year for CBB - it was really anyone's ball game with those top three.

I was pretty disappointed as well, but I suppose there wasn't time. Andy Daly's character's are always just amazing. The sheer depravity of his characters never fails to make me laugh.

It was a very strong year, and while I had hoped "Halfway to China" would be #1, I can't begrudge the one that did.

In any event, am looking forward to hearing Andy's new podcast cavalcade of the characters we've come to know and love/fear. The Don Dimello episode alone should be amazing.

Agreed. I'm a huge Andy Daly fan. My top 2013 episodes were every Andy Daly appearance. I know I'm in the minority here, but the live from Comedy Gives Back episode was better than most of this year's countdown. Go back and listen to Jack Fitzgerald. How was this episode not even a bonnnnuussssss clip? He took that episode over and killed it.

"Sorry my hands are so wet!"

• Like 1

Listening to the countdown I expected Scott to announce the winner to be eipsode 249, Bob Odenkirk and the Birthday Boys in "Ice Cold STab." So much funny stuff in there and it didn't even make the Top 15. Time Bobby was an excellent show, too. I just started listening a few months ago and am excited about all of the eps to go back and listen to. You are all amazing comics--love it. And Scott, you are a gifted and hilarious ring leader!

• Like 2