🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
liebot

American Hustle (2013)

Perhaps this is just an extreme response to a movie I just saw, and a lot of critics seem to have enjoyed it, but so much of this movie is insane. Lots of the acting is super melodramatic, entire subplots are introduced and abandoned, and an inexplicable sing-a-long to live or let die. I don't hate the movie but there is definitely a ton of crazy to make fun of.

tumblr_mqt2n7MUHG1rrkahjo1_400.gif

This post reminds me I still have not found a good program for making animated GIF's, if you find one that is good. send me a private message. I'll add you to my best friends forever list.

BTW i watched this movie last night. it was ok at best. Nothing over the top crazy mind you. it's up for best motion picture at golden globes. Not sure it will win that.

I think "insane" and "crazy" are losing their meaning in this forum.

• Like 1

"Wolf of Wall Street" is the more batshit crazy film of the season. "American Hustle", while a fine film, can't even begin to touch it in the bonkers department.

"Wolf of Wall Street" is the more batshit crazy film of the season. "American Hustle", while a fine film, can't even begin to touch it in the bonkers department.

Agree completely, I loved Wolf of Wall Street because it was a perfect mix of that time period and the men living in it, and apparently it's not too far off from real life as I'm reading the book right now. Someone needs to make a Gif of Leo blowing coke in that hookers butt from the beginning of the movie, because that expression he has would make Tony Montana say "hey lets slow down buddy, this may be too much."

• Like 1

Agree completely, I loved Wolf of Wall Street because it was a perfect mix of that time period and the men living in it, and apparently it's not too far off from real life as I'm reading the book right now. Someone needs to make a Gif of Leo blowing coke in that hookers butt from the beginning of the movie, because that expression he has would make Tony Montana say "hey lets slow down buddy, this may be too much."

Was it that paranoid "Shit, I think someone's there" expression? Because when you're doing lines out of a hooker's ass, THAT'S the big concern...

I know there's a pretty good gif though of Leo doing that weird dance, because I think I saw it in a CHUD article way back when the trailer first dropped. We need to start a Wolf of Wall Street thread...

Yeah, 'American Hustle' had a lot of accents and stupid hair, but 'Wolf of Wall Street' is a 3-hour, 1980s-set 'Caligula' directed by the guy who brought us 'Goodfellas' and 'Raging Bull.' Tell me the fuck.

Speaking of 'Wolf of Wall Street,' did that movie feel like a series of Comedy Bang Bang bits to anyone else? I felt like the characters were the kind of... people that would take advantage of Scott Aukerman's "open door policy."

Was it that paranoid "Shit, I think someone's there" expression? Because when you're doing lines out of a hooker's ass, THAT'S the big concern...

I know there's a pretty good gif though of Leo doing that weird dance, because I think I saw it in a CHUD article way back when the trailer first dropped. We need to start a Wolf of Wall Street thread...

YES THAT FACE!!! And was he doing lines or was he blowing it up her ass to numb her, because that is a BIG difference. And I gotta admit that Leo was great with the physicality from the pop 'n lock dance to him trying to get home while whacked out on super Quaaludes and then parodying Popeye with cocaine. And I am starting that thread right now because this movie must be discussed for how great and insane it is.

American Hustle (sold in the trailers as a big character, big con movie) was so incredibly disappointing. Everyone should have had there "Nominate Me!" signs around their necks while performing in this one. Really surprised critics enjoyed this as much as the reviews seem to indicate.

• Like 1

American Hustle (sold in the trailers as a big character, big con movie) was so incredibly disappointing. Everyone should have had there "Nominate Me!" signs around their necks while performing in this one. Really surprised critics enjoyed this as much as the reviews seem to indicate.

I liked it just fine, but I'm SO glad that I saw it before I saw "Wolf of Wall Street".

I'm watching this now and holy shit does it seem to be overrated. Nothing really crazy in it outside of the wigs that were bought from Cage,Pacino, & Co. Wig Palace. The movie itself seems confused about what it is and the numerous layers of who is conning who comes off more as confusing than anything.

It is also seems to be another one of those movies that was placed in the Best Musical/Comedy category at the Golden Globes solely because they didn't have room in the Best Drama category. The characters outside of Bale are so dysfunctional, and not in a good way: Amy Adams with changing accents, Bradley Cooper coming off as a wild FBI agent who out of nowhere starts doing coke before going into a case with everyone, and Jennifer Lawrence with her batshit coo-coo performance as a Kathy Bates from Misery. I think this movie got so much praise because of who was involved and the movies that they had previously done together, and critics couldn't look past that to see the OK film that was in front of them.

Sign in to follow this