🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Rattrap007

Knowing (2009)

Ok this is a Nick Cage film that they NEED to review.

Starts out in 1959 with elemntary school students writing letters/drawing pictures to put into a time capsule. One girl is crazy and writes a string of numbers on a sheet of paper. Fast forward to 2009, and Nick Cage's son recieves the paper. Cage soon figures out the numbers reveal dates death tolls and locations of major catastrophies. The race is on to try and prevent them. The ending comes out of nowhere and is beyond bonkers.

The movie is pretty decent up till the last bit and the "twist" is revealed.. then it is bat shit insane to a point where the movie becomes horrid. It destroys all the good stuff of the first 2/3 of the film.

Agree completely, the final twist was a complete blowout to how decent the rest of the film was. It had an ending similar to The Box where there was some higher power group that was behind it and it came completely out of right field.

I love this movie in that it's got a tribute to one of the greatest movies of all time, zardoz. it give me a shit eating smile when I noticed it.

if only they could just remade zardoz with nick cage it would of been magic.

The clue that connects these two movies, Symphony No.7 in A major, Op.92. and the camera shot's are almost identical. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who has never seen both movies, but I recommend you see zardoz first. then this film.

The

scene is bonkers! Starting with the first victim running passed him, engulfed head to toe in flames, while Cage just shouts 'Hey! HEY!' at him but does nothing to help. Then its just a series of 10 second clips in which Cage tries to save people from some horrible death, but in fact saves NO ONE. Because, as cage puts it later on, he was put there just to watch. and know.

Don't even get me started on the half dozen scenes of creepy mute pedophile angels having staring contests with kids, or otherwise giving them horrifying visions of the apocalypse. WHY WOULD YOU SHOW THAT TO CHILDREN!? Oh look, these kids are completely helpless in fending for themselves and powerless to affect any change in the story, but let's show them the horrible fate that will befall everyone they know and love... MmmKay

• Like 1

Finally saw this. It had actual potential to be cool but then they just set up so much shit with not a lot of pay off.

It's not the craziest Nic Cage film out there but I am determined to get the gang to do every single Nic Cage film. (Okay maybe not the ones like Raising Arizona or Moonstruck.)

• Like 1

Guys, I rewatched this last night with a friend who was hungry for more crazy cage post-vampire's kiss. It's as Good-bad as I remember or even better. It's a great example of confused, stressed, and angry Nic Cage from start to finish. And the story just gets crazier and crazier till the very end, much in the same way as vampire's kiss but with a slightly more rational plot.

But MOST importantly: This movie was directed by Alex Proyas, director of GODS OF EGYPT! It was his last directorial effort prior to GOE, 7 years apart. Which makes total sense now. They both have this oddly literal, though idiosyncratic, interpretation of religious pantheon and scripture.

Edit: Also, Proyas directing somehow manages to get Rose Byrne to match Cage's crazyness yell-for-yell towards the end of the movie. That alone is something to witness.

• Like 2

I watched this a while ago and have almost no recollection of it, beyond the basic "numbers = 9/11" stuff. I was so fascinated by Nic Cage's weird hair that every time he was in the frame, I just focused on his hair.

43830.jpg

What is going on up there?

A7247855-7.jpg

Just wear a wig, dude!

• Like 2

A7247855-7.jpg

Just wear a wig, dude!

Haha this one is from his other future premonition movie on netflix called Next. It's a pretty awful combination of balding + mullet... But as a bald defender, I say nay to the wig idea.

Of course, we can't forget that the director of this film and 'Gods of Egypt' also was the director of the original 'Crow,' so in my book, he has SOME cred. He also did 'I Robot' (which I never saw but I remember the promos) and 'Garage Days', a successful indie from Australia written by a guy who wrote a film I was in once! 'Knowing' was all shot in Australia (since director Proyas is Australian), filled with Australian extras, locations, and car makes. I went home to Australia for a bit in 2009 and this thing was promoted like crazy down there because of the local content: much like 'Stealth' was.

I actually quite enjoyed this one. I especially liked the crazy numbers linking up to GPS and time/date to predict terrible things... and then they milk that cow all they can. Awesome.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this