🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Darian

Brother Future

I remember having to watch this shitty thing in high school, the after school special style really didn't help its cause.

I remember having to watch this shitty thing in high school, the after school special style really didn't help its cause.

Same here. What a bizarre consensus American schools seemed to have with showing their students garbage.

"We should show the kids a movie about slavery. Roots? No way! Let's play this terrible time travel thing because that is educational! It has rap in it, the kids will relate. "

Same here. What a bizarre consensus American schools seemed to have with showing their students garbage.

"We should show the kids a movie about slavery. Roots? No way! Let's play this terrible time travel thing because that is educational! It has rap in it, the kids will relate. "

That reminds me of the Family Guy episode where they have the abstinence assembly where they try to connect to kids by making references to the Matrix, which at that time was 7 years old, and by sitting backwards on chairs. The chair moment was then emphasized by two students doing the same thing saying 'hey he's sitting like we are, he gets us!"

Feeling good about my school now, because we actually just watched Roots.

i saw this on tv when i was a kid.

(when i was a kid we only had 3 tv channels in my country)

i was very confused by this, because all i was thinking was: why is M.A.N.T.I.S. a slave?

for those who don't know...this is M.A.N.T.I.S.

i was very confused by this, because all i was thinking was: why is M.A.N.T.I.S. a slave?

Nice reference to THAT show.

Check this out from the trivia section on IMDB:

"M.A.N.T.I.S. (1994), the highly-watched TV movie on which this series was based, featured a predominately African-American cast and racism was a major issue in the story. Fox executives thought that the racial focus of the movie was "too grim and too realistic". Except for Carl Lumbly, the African-American actors from the movie were replaced in this series. Lumbly, Gina Torres, and Christopher M. Brown stated in interviews that they were very disappointed that the tone of the series was changed."

"The series was subjected to a drastic overhaul midway through its first (and only) season. After a half-season of serious urban action stories with a science-fiction twist, the show's focus shifted to overt fantasy, involving parallel universes, super-villains and monsters. This failed to reverse the program's weak ratings and the show was cancelled at the end of the season with two episodes unaired. The final episode anticipated this cancellation by killing off the title character."

So you see, in "Brother Future", with the direction that "M.A.N.T.I.S." took, it could have actually BEEN M.A.N.T.I.S., not just the actor that played him. BAM.

• Like 1

Holy crap, I watched MANTIS as a kid. This thread is a very bizarre tunnel into obscure TV productions starring African American actors that I watched as a child... except I remember enjoying MANTIS.

it was truly a bizaare show, i mean, he died by being eaten by an invisible dinosaur

let that sink in...

an invisible dinosaur

Sign in to follow this