🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
ChristosKirst

Any other good RPG podcasts?

Nerd poker has gotten me into D&D. I had never played before, but always wanted too. After hearing this show I was totally hooked. I got a group of friends together and started DM'ing a D&D 4e game. WoTC should pay you guys a finders fee I swear!

Anyway... I'm really looking for other good RPG podcasts. I drive A LOT and Nerd Poker is just over too fast. Anyone have any other good suggestions?

• Like 1

I haven't seen a good answer to this question yet. It seems there are other RPG related podcasts, but none of them are in this format. Even more so, none of them have this collection of comedians, comedy writers, and comic book writers.

RPGPodcasts .com is an excellent resource. Critical Hits is a personal fav, but you can set the filter to Actual Play for a WIDE range of games.

• Like 2

...you COULD try 'Harmontown'...though it's not purely D&D...

The official D&D podcast is (was?) normally shop talk, but they've also hosted the PAX celebrity D&D sessions, as well as some one-offs of their own. They're short (about two hours of total play time) but a lot of fun.

I thought this had been brought up here before, maybe not.

Harmontown has some crazy D&D in it, but as stated it isn't the whole show. http://harmontown.com/ Though if you want to check it out someone took the effort to isolate the D&D bits http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18252097/harmontown.html

Crit Juice is a good gameplay pod. These are improv comedians/actors (very small time I assume, no offense to any of them) who have incorporated drinking rules into their 4e game. http://www.critjuice.com/

Troll the Dice isn't professionals of any sort but they do get quite funny if that's what you're looking for. http://trollthedice.com/

Penny Arcade Official D&D as mentioned is also very good. http://www.wizards.com/dnd/podcasts.aspx

The Delvers is an awesome podcast though nothing like Nerd Poker. It is recordings of a family; Father, Wife(gf?), & 2 daughters (i think like 8 & 10?) playing Labyrinth Lord. Which is simply a 3rd party continuation of AD&D. The gameplay is heavily edited so just the action is included or important details. Episodes run aprox. 15-20mins each.. The show is put together great, very professional sounding. It's a really different take on the usual gameplay podcasts. http://burnedfx.com/about Sadly the show ended last year due to sickness in the family. The website says they have plans to pick it back up at some point but as yet haven't.

Cthulhu and Friends is a pretty decent gameplay podcast of a group playing Call of Cthulhu but using D20(D&D) style rules. They play via skype or some type of online thing so sound quality can be erratic but generally pretty good. http://cafpodcast.com/

I used to listen to many more but eventually (sometimes rather quickly) get burned out on them. These I still enjoy regularly.

• Like 4

Nerd poker has gotten me into D&D. I had never played before, but always wanted too. After hearing this show I was totally hooked. I got a group of friends together and started DM'ing a D&D 4e game. WoTC should pay you guys a finders fee I swear!

Anyway... I'm really looking for other good RPG podcasts. I drive A LOT and Nerd Poker is just over too fast. Anyone have any other good suggestions?

Glad your trying DnD but 4th..... ugg.. 2nd ed all the way.

T.H.A.C.O. do i need to say more.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the info!

I'll give these all a shot. Penny Arcade's stuff is awesome! I have really enjoyed those so far. Thanks!

I found something called... "Fear the boot" that has been interestesting as well. Not gameplay, but interesting talk about RPGs in general.

Glad your trying DnD but 4th..... ugg.. 2nd ed all the way.

T.H.A.C.O. do i need to say more.

Everyone keeps telling me 4e is awful, but I have been rather enjoying it. Most of my players are boardgamers or video gamers, so they seem to like that part of 4e. I plan to try out the new D&D version that is coming out this summer. I hear it feels more "old school".

Cthulhu and Friends is a pretty decent gameplay podcast of a group playing Call of Cthulhu but using D20(D&D) style rules. They play via skype or some type of online thing so sound quality can be erratic but generally pretty good. http://cafpodcast.com/

Heya! I'm actually that Josh guy from Cthulhu & Friends. Thanks for the shoutout.

The sound quality issues in the first few episodes got better as the show progressed and as we got more proficient at producing the thing, but starting on episode 19, we will no longer be using audio recorded from the Hangout sessions to create the podcast, so that should fix up that problem completely. We're using professional gear and what have you. Huzzah. Also, the version that we play is D20, but it's sort of a frankenstein system we put together using bits of DnD 3.5 and AD&D. We veered from the Wizards released CoC rulebook after a few episodes. Fun fact.

I also wanted to suggest you guys listen to Drunks & Dragons over at DnDPodcast.com or GeeklyInc.com. They started out with the same audio issues, but eventually got their shit together and have a pretty damn good show, despite it being 4e.

Also, if you're hungry for more Call of Cthulhu action, there's Miskatonic University Podcast, where they play the original Chaosium rules. They go over sort of the whole RP experience, from character creation, to GM tips, and then Actual Play. Personally, it's not my cup of tea but they gave my podcast a shoutout, and I figure I should return the favor. They're at mu-podcast.com

Hey Josh, or Jack... fuck that bloody shower bullshit! Cool to see you on here.

Ha I didn't even know there was an official D20 CoC ruleset. I just always thought Veronica and you had made that shit fit.

I used to listen to Drunks & Dragons a lot but got burnt out on it. Might be the 4e thing, I can't listen to many using that system. Early NP & Crit Juice the obvious exceptions.

I gave MU Pod a go for a bit. The early episodes are pretty cool as they do a good job of explaining how to play CoC.

• Like 1

Thanks all who posted!

I listened spatterings of most of the mentioned podcasts. Crit Juice has been fantastic. Listening to drunk people play D&D is a crack up. I'm going to have to get my players more smashed playing. :)

I'm looking forward to trying the Cthuhlu podcast mentioned next.

• Like 1

Just found this one, it's a brand new comedic D&D gameplay pod. It's 3 guys who have never played D&D before. It's really well made, with background music & sound effects. If you like the funny adventure stuff but don't enjoy the out-of-game tangents NP goes on you would probably like this as they stay in game most of the time.

D&D Live with Shooting the Shit (StS) http://dndwithstspodcast.blogspot.com/

Everyone keeps telling me 4e is awful, but I have been rather enjoying it. Most of my players are boardgamers or video gamers, so they seem to like that part of 4e. I plan to try out the new D&D version that is coming out this summer. I hear it feels more "old school".

I agree with Vyrrk, I quite like the system myself but I can say that I think the DM and players in your group are the real key for 4e. You need to work on it and have a focus to role play unlike editions 1-3.5... JMO of course. And I agree with you guys on Crit Juice and Critical Hits. I'll have to check some of these others out.

JP

Just found this one, it's a brand new comedic D&D gameplay pod. It's 3 guys who have never played D&D before. It's really well made, with background music & sound effects. If you like the funny adventure stuff but don't enjoy the out-of-game tangents NP goes on you would probably like this as they stay in game most of the time.

D&D Live with Shooting the Shit (StS) http://dndwithstspodcast.blogspot.com/

Not bad! Here's the iTunes link that their site needs.

Heya! I'm actually that Josh guy from Cthulhu & Friends. Thanks for the shoutout.

I've been listening to your show. Good stuff! Your keeper is pretty hardcore... I wouldn't want to meet her in dark alley. Wow.

Thanks all for the tips - been suffering a bit with some awkward Actual Play podcasts but it looks like there's some decent suggestions here!

I've been listening to your show. Good stuff! Your keeper is pretty hardcore... I wouldn't want to meet her in dark alley. Wow.

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it! Yeah, the keeper? I'm married to that one. Terrifying, no?

Errr Drunks & dragons.. somehting like that...er..

Drunks and Dragons Wiki

eh not the best but a good group that plays over Skypeie i believe.

They started over Skype, and at about episode 15 or so they started recording separate tracks, so the sound quality gets a lot better.

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it! Yeah, the keeper? I'm married to that one. Terrifying, no?

If you're not a least a little afraid of your wife, something is wrong. :)

Eps 21 broke my brain by the way. Thank you for that. I will never be able to look at pregnant women the same way.

• Like 1

I haven't really tried many besides Nerd Poker, but I personally really like http://pretendwizards.tumblr.com/

It's still young, but pretty great so far. Unlike Nerd Poker, where they had bear-mauled innocent slaves, wrecked a ship, lost a friend and went out to fight the world's scourge in the first ten episodes, the adventure is super slow, it takes them the first 5 episodes to just get up in the morning and take a job interview, but the entertainement keeps a good pace; like at some point they spend a full half hour just shopping for marbles and nothing happens and it is absurd and AMAZING.

Check it out why don't you.

CritJuice has a pretty amazing and epic story which moves super fast and the characters are pretty fun (One character is a ridiculous bluff-making bunny-man). The one downside is that they don't have a good handle on their sound levels and they frequently mumble and then SHOUT, especially in the earlier episodes.

• Like 1

If you're not a least a little afraid of your wife, something is wrong. :)

Eps 21 broke my brain by the way. Thank you for that. I will never be able to look at pregnant women the same way.

We're here for you, buddy. :D

Had a chance to check out Season 2 yet?

critical hit from major spoilers is the best ive found. some of the characters and the dm and be really, really annoying at first but it gets so fn good and inolved. the scope of the world in it is insane. i cant recommend it enough.