🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
PaulRichards

The Guyver (1991)

This is probably my go to Bad Movie Night recommendation. I originally picked it up due to me having watched the anime. I was pleasantly surprised to see Mark Hamill on the cover and to see that a few of the cast members of the Re-Animator were in the movie. I was pleased to see that there were actors I liked in it. Also, Jimmy J. J. Walker. None of this prepared me for what I was about to see. I wanted to find a trailer, but was unable to. I did find the first 5 minutes of the movie though.

I really hesitate to post spoilers that would get crew to watch it for the show. I'd rather everyone see them for themselves. For me, it's a movie you need to see to believe. I will say though that the SciFi channel ended up making the sequel a made for TV movie staring Solid Snake himself, David Hayter.

Also you get Jimmy JJ Walker doing the Dyno-mite! line in the end.

This is one of those hilariously bad movies that is stupid fun. This is indeed one they would have a good time with.

• Like 1

Not only that, but we get his terrible, terrible rapping throughout the movie.

I think that this one would be a fun one, too.

I unironically love this movie. It is a so bad it's good film with the costumes and the cheesy sci-fi overtone, but it works for a 90s monster movie. It's funny watching how they promoted this movie as starring Mark Hamill going as far to put him on the DVD cover as the person in the Guyver suit, when he is actually a smaller part. The sequel is interesting in that it completely disregards the love story of the original movie within the first 5 minutes.

• Like 1

guy-1.jpg?itok=ye8o9E03

Featuring the 90's star power of Mark Hamill and Jimmie Walker...basically, Power Rangers on steroids and with better costumes/effects, but just as cheesy.

A young man discovers a mechanical device that merges with his own body, turning him into a cyborg superhero. When strange creatures start appearing, trying to take the device back, he begins to uncover a secret plot to genetically engineer terrifying monsters.

It's adaption of a very

which was oddly made for kids.

[media='']

[/media]

When a researcher at the Chronos Corporation is mysteriously killed, his daughter (Vivian Wu) ; her boyfriend, Sean (Jack Armstrong) ; and a rogue CIA agent named Max Reed (Mark Hamill) all suspect foul play. Sean discovers a top-secret suit of Chronos armor called "the Guyver," which fuses to his body when he tries it on, turning him into a supremely powerful cyborg. Chronos' evil CEO, Fulton Balcus (David Gale), is enraged and sends a crew of mutant alien monsters to get the Guyver back.

The gymnastics and demonic reindeer at 0:44 make me want to see this film. I had never heard of it before.

What's with the title? Did they know about the US action show MacGyver?

The gymnastics and demonic reindeer at 0:44 make me want to see this film. I had never heard of it before.

What's with the title? Did they know about the US action show MacGyver?

It is a Japanese Manga that has been running since 1985 so they thought it would be a good idea just to use the name and Mark Hamill's name recognition.

• Like 1