๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 80 โ€” Jack Frost: LIVE!

Other notable stuff Keaton did since then was in White Noise, Herbie: Fully Loaded, Post Grad, The Other Guys and he has two films out this year: the action flick Need for Speed, and the remake of Robocop.

ย 

He also did the voice of Chick Hicks in Pixar's Cars and Ken in Toy Story 3 also from Pixar

Without a doubt this was the best live episode of HDTGM ever, and the second opinions were beyond insane.

• Like 1

For this episode, they should've renamed Second Opinions to Saddest Opinions. Jesus.

ย 

This show was amazing, though. Harmon was hilarious.

• Like 3

For this episode, they should've renamed Second Opinions to Saddest Opinions. Jesus.

ย 

This show was amazing, though. Harmon was hilarious.

It made me think of this....

ย 

• Like 3

Holy shit Mantzoukas was hilarious in this one. It's so great when he references nerdy shit, gets applauded, then bashes people for applauding. Kills me every time.

• Like 2

Harmon was hilarious, though we'll have to remain acquaintances as I can't be friends with anyone that doesn't like the Dark Crystal.

• Like 2

This episode really got me thinking about my childhood and how my parents raised me. I used to LOVE this movie as a kid, so much so that I'm pretty sure I wore out my VHS copy of it. This was a movie my whole family watched, almost every Christmas. I would even try to recreate the windmill techinque for snowball fights, ultimately realizing that I did not have the dexterity of a sentient snow dad. I used to live by a Warner Brothers store (not even sure if they exist anymore) and managed to snag an awesome, or what I thought was awesome at the time, bean bag stuffed toy of Jack Frost, and I loved the thing like it was my best friend.

ย 

6554a.jpg

ย 

Now after watching this my eyes are open. I HAD A FUCKING BEANIE BABY OF SOMEBODY'S DEAD DAD. Re-watching this movie after years of not watching it gave me the creeps and I genuinely feel uncomfortable with my previous infatuation with the film.

• Like 4

Did anyone else notice the "Mr. Show" clip when Charlie was flipping through the channels? It was distinctively David Cross' announcer voice then a quick clip. In my head someone working on the film is a secret alt comedy nerd that snuck that in in hopes of saying they were proud of at least one part of the movie.

• Like 1

I remember I accidentally watched this POS movie when some asshole at Blockbuster switched the horror movie version, and I'll admit it I loved the horror version as a kid it was going to be my second time renting it but I hated this fucking movie .

I am firmly in June's camp for this one and don't blame her at all for leaving during that clip. I no joke cried at my desk this morning when I watched the trailer before listening and Kelly Preston was crying "I know, I know. I miss him too."

ย 

tumblr_myyodaRQFG1s2wnlwo3_400.gif

ย 

ย 

and the second opinions totally didn't help. All day I thought about those sad people logging onto amazon just to cry out to the internet about their pain and that a movie like this brought them comfort... rough. Just so rough.

ย 

seriously the episode was so fucking funny but damn, so much grief.

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice the "Mr. Show" clip when Charlie was flipping through the channels? It was distinctively David Cross' announcer voice then a quick clip. In my head someone working on the film is a secret alt comedy nerd that snuck that in in hopes of saying they were proud of at least one part of the movie.

ย 

Yeah, they should have just played it all, would have fit right in with everything else.

ย 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFPk7xazzAA

• Like 3

Zouks with the shameful self outing of X-men lore. Though I think it was Cassandra Nova that wiped out Genosha with Sentinels. And now I have outed myself.

I don't know how I missed this. Zouks reading Morrison's New X-Men run? Anybody know the timecode for when Jason mentions this?

Holy shit Mantzoukas was hilarious in this one. It's so great when he references nerdy shit, gets applauded, then bashes people for applauding. Kills me every time.

ย 

I'm pretty sure that some people echoed his earlier taunt by shouting "NERD!" at him, hence the reaction.

ย 

Anyway, yeah, this episode was amazing, possibly the best ever. Harmon is pretty much a perfect guest between his specific sense of humor, his propensity to go on crazy rants, and his knowledge of screenwriting. I think that post-credits scene he mentioned was laying the foundation for Rise of the Guardians.

ย 

I loved in the intro when Paul asked "Would you like to say anything to the audience, June?" and she said "Good evening, Paul."

ย 

That last Second Opinion HAD to be fake. (Not saying it's not on Amazon, just that it's not a true story.)

ย 

I wouldn't exactly count it as an omission since Jason off-handedly mentioned winning the big game at the end, but they barely touched on the hockey aspect here, and there was SO MUCH HOCKEY in this movie. As I alluded to in the minisode thread, they were CONSTANTLY talking about that fucking "J-shot"; I bet it was said at least 25 times. It's kind of hard to categorize the movie, and honestly, "Sports Movie" would fit just as well as any other genre/label.

You guys forgot to mention that Jack Frost was the last notable film Michael Keaton starred in before going into semi-retirement. He would not appear in another major theatrical film for six years until he played the President of the USA in the Katie Holmes bomb First Daughter. Other notable stuff Keaton did since then was in White Noise, Herbie: Fully Loaded, Post Grad, The Other Guys and he has two films out this year: the action flick Need for Speed, and the remake of Robocop.

ย 

I really liked The Other Guys, and Keaton in it. Joe Queenan has a theory about Michael Keaton's career:

ย 

Twenty years ago, after appearing in two phenomenally successful, visually opulent and generally brilliant Batman movies, Michael Keaton decided he didn't want to make any more Caped Crusader films. So he walked away. It was a disastrous move that effectively ended Keaton's career as a leading man, the actor learning the hard way that the only unforgivable crime in Hollywood is to walk away from a phenomenally successful franchise. -- Man of Steel: does Hollywood need saving from superheroes?

People, we are now in a Post-Jack Frost Second Opinions world, and I do not know how to feel.

ย 

Seriously, though, those were amazing. You know what else was amazing? Zouks with the Genosha pull!

• Like 1

So, the guy who wrote Monster House is shitting on Jim Henson's entire career? Where does this shitheel get the gall? Not for nothing, but I'll take "48 years of garbage" (supposedly) over 8 years of self-referential shit.

ย 

Also, one of Paul's favorite movies is Hiding Out? That's something.

Oh! I found it: They start talking about Magneto and Genosha around 58:00, in reference to the bullies not wanting to mess with Jack Frost's son for being a bummer ever since tragedy struck and his 'old man died.'

ย 

I love that Mantzoukas does double down and reference House of M, where the Scarlet Witch takes away the powers of almost all of Earth's mutants.

• Like 2

So, the guy who wrote Monster House is shitting on Jim Henson's entire career? Where does this shitheel get the gall? Not for nothing, but I'll take "48 years of garbage" (supposedly) over 8 years of self-referential shit.

ย 

1) They're all making jokes.

2) Harmon CO-wrote Monster House with his long-time friend and collaborator Rob Schrab, and both have been very vocal about their dissatisfaction with the studio's tinkering of the film, of which Harmon even wrote a letter to a child at the parent's request to explain why the film was the way it was.

3) The Muppets were created in 1955. Jim Henson died in 1990. that is 35 years of Jim Henson at the helm. An argument could be made that the Muppets lost a lot of their magic with his passing.

4) Once again: Jokes.

5) Welcome to the boards.

• Like 1

ย 

1) They're all making jokes.

2) Harmon CO-wrote Monster House with his long-time friend and collaborator Rob Schrab, and both have been very vocal about their dissatisfaction with the studio's tinkering of the film, of which Harmon even replied to a child's letter asking why the film was the way it was.

3) The Muppets were created in 1955. Jim Henson died in 1990. that is 35 years of Jim Henson at the helm. An argument could be made that the Muppets lost a lot of their magic with his passing.

4) Once again: Jokes.

5) Welcome to the boards.

ย 

Oh. Well. Now I feel better. I imagine their original imagining of the film was a full-on masterpiece, like Bill Corbett and Meet Dave.

ย 

Don't jokes have to be funny?

ย 

Not on Earwolf, evidently!

ย 

Oh. Well. Now I feel better. I imagine their original imagining of the film was a full-on masterpiece, like Bill Corbett and Meet Dave.

ย 

Don't jokes have to be funny?

ย 

Not on Earwolf, evidently!

EARWOLF SLAM. You're on fire!

I remember being surprised when "Jack Frost" came out because, after 1993's "My Life," in which Michael Keaton plays a dad who dies and then comes back as a video tape, I didn't think he would return to the maudlin-parental-death-and-resurrection well so soon.

Sign in to follow this