🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 80 — Jack Frost: LIVE!

I didn't know Harmon had anything to do with Monster House at any point. But...I like that movie. I mean, I don't know, the version in Harmon's head may have been way better, but I like the final product.

• Like 1

Yeah, I know all my favorite jokes involve a man who was literally too nice to tell anyone else he was having chest pains that he was having them out of fear of worrying them and then following it up with "also, his legacy was garbage." Truly, a master of the form.

That the best argument you have? Really? Is your writing job on Community in jeopardy?

All our jobs are CONSTANTLY in jeopardy over in the writing room, and I'm constantly putting out fires on the Earwolf boards regarding Harmon's antics. It's EXHAUSTING.

• Like 5

I want to know if whatever bizarro black magic contained in the harmonica is conditioned on the season. So, if Jack Frost hadn't died around Christmas, could he have come back as a giant turkey for Thanksgiving? A leprechaun for St. Patrick's Day? A bucket of fireworks for the Fourth of July?

Maybe he ONLY came back as a snowman because Jack Frost is a winter-associated name. Could he have been resurrected as another mythical mascot if he changed his named? Perhaps go with the last name "Forest" and come back as Smokey the Bear? Would being named "John Milton" result in him returning as Al Pacino's character in The Devil's Advocate?

• Like 2

All our jobs are CONSTANTLY in jeopardy over in the writing room, and I'm constantly putting out fires on the Earwolf boards regarding Harmon's antics. It's EXHAUSTING.

You are provably terrible at this.

Dialogue that I like to imagine was filmed but did not make it into the final cut:

SNOWMAN KEATON (talking to self): Did I turn into a snowman because my name is Jack Frost? My god, what would I have become if I were New York Jet's owner, Woody Johnson? . . . or film producer Andrew Vajna? (beat) THAT would have made for an awkward reunion with the wife.

• Like 2

@DarkArfs Just a friendly warning, but you may want to avoid Denis Leary's No Cure For Cancer. There's some choice Henson humor in there too, but , you know, from 20 years ago.

@DarkArfs Just a friendly warning, but you may want to avoid Denis Leary's No Cure For Cancer. There's some choice Henson humor in there too, but , you know, from 20 years ago.

Dude, stuff's hackneyed. lame, and partly stolen. (Or "choice," if you're fucking thick.) Also, his argument makes no sense. Sammy Davis Jr. KNEW Sinatra.

Dude, stuff's hackneyed. lame, and partly stolen. (Or "choice," if you're fucking thick.) Also, his argument makes no sense. Sammy Davis Jr. KNEW Sinatra.

Well, steer clear of it, I say. Just looking out.

Well, steer clear of it, I say. Just looking out.

That's nice of you. I actually owned the album before I truly got into Henson's work, both puppet and non, and I can still say with certainty that Leary's was clearly a joke (though a bad one) and Harmon's was just terrible.

That's nice of you. I actually owned the album before I truly got into Henson's work, both puppet and non, and I can still say with certainty that Leary's was clearly a joke (though a bad one) and Harmon's was just terrible.

But was Harmon's CLEARLY a joke? Because— and correct me if I'm wrong, and please call me names too— you say "Leary's was clearly a joke (though a bad one) and Harmon's was just [a] terrible [joke]." So by that rationale, even though Harmon was shitting on Henson, he was joking. So your assertion that Harmon was actually shitting on Henson is incorrect. He was making a joke (quality being ENTIRELY subjective).

(Man alive, I am really earning my Community paycheck today. I better call the wife, let her know it's going to be a while...)

This episode was really firing on all cylinders. Paul, Jason, and June were all awesome, Dan Harmon was the perfect guest, they had a great audience, and the first second opinion was supremely depressing. To think that this second opinion was less depressing than the one Paul didn't read for June's sake!

One of my favorite episodes ever. A real standout.

• Like 4

So, the guy who wrote Monster House is shitting on Jim Henson's entire career? Where does this shitheel get the gall? Not for nothing, but I'll take "48 years of garbage" (supposedly) over 8 years of self-referential shit.

Also, one of Paul's favorite movies is Hiding Out? That's something.

His Jim Henson bashing was clearly a joke. Are you for real?

• Like 4

Doug Benson: Let's talk about some of the movies you've done.

Paul F. Tompkins: Sure. Let's talk about all of them; I'm sure we have time.

Doug Benson: I'll, I'll race through them if you'd like.

Paul F. Tompkins: Sure.

Doug Benson: Uh, Jack Frost?

Paul F. Tompkins: A ball.

Doug Benson: Did you think to yourself while playing "Man in Audience" that, that it could be a perennial classic at Christmastime, for the kids?

Paul F. Tompkins: Well, yeah, I was thinking ...

Doug Benson: You did it for your children?

Paul F. Tompkins: I was ... I did it for my children and all of our children, really.

Doug Benson: Future children.

Paul F. Tompkins: Unborn children. Mostly for unborn children, and um, like fetuses. I did expect to be treated like Father Christmas himself in years to come. But it didn't happen because the movie was creepy as fuck. Cause nobody wanted to see the dead kid's ... the kid's dead father become an anthropomorphic snowman with terribly articulated eyebrows.

Doug Benson: And fetuses had to sit through the whole thing because fetuses can't walk out.

Paul F. Tompkins: Exactly. Right.

-- I Love Movies with Doug Benson, October 16, 2006

• Like 9

Yeah, I know all my favorite jokes involve a man who was literally too nice to tell anyone else he was having chest pains that he was having them out of fear of worrying them and then following it up with "also, his legacy was garbage." Truly, a master of the form.

You seem fun.

• Like 7

But for real guys, Jim Henson and the Muppets are some of the best things to ever happen to this planet. I feel like I should watch the original Muppet movie just to wash the taste of Jack Frost out of my brain.

• Like 1

I think it's interesting that Mark Steven Johnson wrote both this and Daredevil, two movies that June seemed to really take a liking to.

• Like 3

Boy 30 mins into this film and I am beginning to think Michael Keaton phoned this movie in. I am waiting for him to just say, "hang on I got another call on the line, just a second"

What the hell is Henry Rollins from black flag doing in this film, great casting call.

best part of this movie is the remake of ghost, ohh boy... thank god thats over. Get to listen podcast now...

Probably my favorite episode of HDTGM, up there with Anaconda which I hold dearly since it was my introduction to the podcast.

To the guy complaining about Jim Henson jokes, live a little. And I hope me suggesting you to live doesn't make you think of Jim being dead. Because he's dead.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this