🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Blast Hardcheese

G.I. Joe: The Movie (1987)

Since June and Paul are expecting, it seems only natural that HDTGM should review an animated movie to subject/indoctrinate their little one to.

To this, I recommend the 1987 animated abomination G.I. Joe: The Movie.

Let's break it down:

• The opening off-Broadway song 'n dance "Coooo-braaaa!" fire fight on the Statue of Liberty.

• "Starring" Burgess Meredith, Don Johnson, Sgt. Slaughter, and Chris Latta (a.k.a. the fat, sweaty "Sharing Husband/titty pimp" from Road House) as Cobra Commander.

• The introduction of Cobra-La, an ultra-gonzo, fucking bananas army of serpent-themed weirdos who eschew human technology in favor of "organic" weaponry such as plane-like creatures that shoot what looks and sounds like cum-bullets, airships made of giant kidney-shaped worms and bridges and other palace refineries made of giant insects (start prepping your nightmares now, kids!)

• Previously insurmountable and impervious freakish new enemies defeated by our heroes in the third act by not altering their game plan or attack strategy one bit.

• Killing-off a major character, realizing that didn't go over so well in the animated Transformers movie, and ADR-ing a "He's going to be okay!" at the end.

Add to this, G.I. Joe the Movie is really fuckin' entertaining ...as far as bad movies go. Yo Joe!

So, besides being a vehicle in order to ramp-up toy sales, how did this movie get made? Knowing is half the battle.

Since June and Paul are expecting, it seems only natural that HDTGM should review an animated movie to subject/indoctrinate their little one to.

To this, I recommend the 1987 animated abomination G.I. Joe: The Movie.

Let's break it down:

• The opening off-Broadway song 'n dance "Coooo-braaaa!" fire fight on the Statue of Liberty.

• "Starring" Burgess Meredith, Don Johnson, Sgt. Slaughter, and Chris Latta (a.k.a. the fat, sweaty "Sharing Husband/titty pimp" from Road House) as Cobra Commander.

• The introduction of Cobra-La, an ultra-gonzo, fucking bananas army of serpent-themed weirdos who eschew human technology in favor of "organic" weaponry such as plane-like creatures that shoot what looks and sounds like cum-bullets, airships made of giant kidney-shaped worms and bridges and other palace refineries made of giant insects (start prepping your nightmares now, kids!)

• Previously insurmountable and impervious freakish new enemies defeated by our heroes in the third act by not altering their game plan or attack strategy one bit.

• Killing-off a major character, realizing that didn't go over so well in the animated Transformers movie, and ADR-ing a "He's going to be okay!" at the end.

Add to this, G.I. Joe the Movie is really fuckin' entertaining ...as far as bad movies go. Yo Joe!

So, besides being a vehicle in order to ramp-up toy sales, how did this movie get made? Knowing is half the battle.

The first thing I thought of when Retaliation was delayed was how it was EXACTLY like what had happened 25 years before, only on a much larger scale. I think they eventually admitted "Yeah, killing off Duke, who is played by a guy that just had an AWESOME year, was a huge fucking mistake", and I thought they would make his demise more ambiguous, like we wouldn't see a body, leaving it open for his return in the next film, but nope, we got his charred corpse. *sigh*

If you watch the Blu-ray of it with the commentary, you learn about some of the problems involved. The writer wanted it to be darker. Cobra-La was a placeholder name he used till he could come up with a better one, but the studio decided to use it. He says if he had known that he'd have used something like Granny's Body Factory...

If he had his way he would have simply written Shipwreck's Tijuana Vacation...

Also I kinda take offense on the song and dance opening line. That is the best part of the entire damn movie. Tons of awesome action, it has a decent plot, and is beautiful to look at...

If you watch the Blu-ray of it with the commentary, you learn about some of the problems involved. The writer wanted it to be darker. Cobra-La was a placeholder name he used till he could come up with a better one, but the studio decided to use it. He says if he had known that he'd have used something like Granny's Body Factory...

If he had his way he would have simply written Shipwreck's Tijuana Vacation...

Also I kinda take offense on the song and dance opening line. That is the best part of the entire damn movie. Tons of awesome action, it has a decent plot, and is beautiful to look at...

I apologize Rattrap007. Given your avatar, I have a feeling we like a lot of the same things (G.I. Joe, Transformers, James Bond, etc. )

Don't get me wrong, this opening scene is really spectacular in terms animation, action, tempo (I particularly like how Duke plants the bomb on the Cobra air ship and the explosion cascades through the haul in these extended light ripples).

But that song... I was 11 or 12 when this movie came out, and I remember that song giving me embarrassment shivers when the vocals came in. Not as bad as "You Got the Touch," mind you, but still...

I apologize Rattrap007. Given your avatar, I have a feeling we like a lot of the same things (G.I. Joe, Transformers, James Bond, etc. )

Don't get me wrong, this opening scene is really spectacular in terms animation, action, tempo (I particularly like how Duke plants the bomb on the Cobra air ship and the explosion cascades through the haul in these extended light ripples).

But that song... I was 11 or 12 when this movie came out, and I remember that song giving me embarrassment shivers when the vocals came in. Not as bad as "You Got the Touch," mind you, but still...

I wasn't actually offended or anything. Just wanted to embellish my disagreement.. As for the song I know it.

Crashing through the sky

comes an evil cry

Cobraaaa (Cobra!)

Cobraaaa (Cobra!)

Armies of the night

Evil taking flight

Cobraaaa (Cobra!)

Cobraaaa (Cobra!)

Nowhere to run

Nowhere to hide

Panic spreading faaar and wiiiide

Who can turn the tiiiide?

GI JOOOOOOOE

A Real American Hero

GI JOOOOOOOE

GI Joe is there

GI JOOOOOOOE

A Real American Hero

GI JOOOOOOOE

GI Joe is there

Fighting for freedom wherever there's trouble

over land and sea and aaaair!

GI Joe is there

Can the world oppose

deadliest of foes

Cobra! (Cobra)

Cobra! (Cobra)

Joes will risk it all

to end the evil call

of Cobra (Cobra)

Cobra (Cobra)

They never give up

The never say die

walking tall with banners high

They sound the battle cry

Yo Joe (Yo Joe)

GI Jooooooe

A real american Hero

GI Jooooooe is there

Fighting for freedom

where ever There is trouble.

Over Land and sea and air!

GI Joe is theeeeeere!

(Narration: GI Joe is the code name for America's daring highly trained Special Mission force. It's purpose is to defend the human freedom from Cobra, a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.)

GI Jooooooe

A real american Hero

GI Jooooooe is there

GI Jooooooe

A real american Hero

GI Jooooooe is there

Fighting for freedom

where ever There is trouble.

Over Land and sea and air!

GI Joe is theeeeeere!

GI Jooooooe

A real american Hero

GI Jooooooe is there

GI Jooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooe

The first half I did from memory. I got the song on my ipod. I am such a nerd...

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this