🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 266 — The Calvins Twins

Comedy buds Taran Killam and Paul Brittain are back to chat about how to take compliments, if older people should be driving old cars, and why aren’t birds shitting on us all the time. Later, Bever Hopox and Chico Hands aka the Calvins twins gallop into the studio to discuss the ostentatious, hypervacious, dualicacious world of prized horse fighting. It’s a flip flopping good time!

• Like 1

Incredible episode. If I had to pick the best episode for fans of the TV show to transition into the podcast, I'd pick this one.

Words cannot even express how hard I laughed at this insanity.

• Like 3

MY GIRLFRIEND TURNED WIFE!

I really love this lineup, by the way. The chemistry last year on Super Chums was great and this episode was even better.

• Like 1

One of the best parts of having Taran and Paul on is that they will with the addition of scott turn almost everything said into a bit and i fucking cant get enough of it.. really great ep!

• Like 3

From the moment they forced out their terrible names I was instantly smitten. The most charming bunch of horse fight promoters this side of the mason dixon.

"the fight don't stop until the horse is dead" Gold. Good Lord that got awesomely dark towards the end.

• Like 5

Mr. Aukerman's wheeze-laugh delights me, particularly the one after "Is that all?" before the advertisement break. That little portion made me laugh quite hard each time I replayed it.

The chemistry between all three of them (but especially the two guests) was palpably engaging, which I think makes for a most enjoyable listen. I very much liked this episode.

Regards

• Like 1

says it all... "when they turn on the chair, something's added to the air."
  • Like 1

The "Hey Kiddo!" episode was one of my favorites from last year, and this somehow tops it. I'll take as many characs from Taran and Paul as I can get.

• Like 1

Very appreciative of Paul's Van Hammersly reference. #MrShow

• Like 3

When I saw their names and photographs on the page I thought "these are two people I will fucking hate" but I listened to the episode and it turns out they were real good so it just goes to show you

• Like 2

When talking about Mr. Ed, "TV Executives, that's a gift horse to continue to look in the mouth." HA!

• Like 1

CHICO: You gotta laugh. You gotta laugh. That's what we say in the horse fighting business.

BEVER: We gotta! That's how you start the fight. You know when in a normal boxing it be like, 'LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUUMMMMBLE'? We just— you know, there ain't many people there so you don't even need a microphone— so we just say, "Folks, you gotta laugh. Now for your enjoyment, two horses that are gonna punch each other 'til one dies."

It was very appropriate that Taran could not get through that sentence without almost losing his shit multiple times. That is a hilarious sentence.

• Like 10

I think Taran and Paul have killed it both times, but I really loved this episode in particular. To paraphrase Chelsea Peretti, the bit saturation in that room was crazy.

• Like 3

One of my absolute favorite running bits in the show -- which we actually haven't seen that much in a while -- is Scott's rigid insistence on continuity and internal logic in the bits. His insistence on doing the math on horse births and horse funerals in this one was unbelievable.

• Like 10

Sorry guys...I think the math was wrong and they only needed to attend about 7 million horse births not 70 million.

1 horse funeral per week for 20 years,

52 weeks/year

52*20= 1040 fighting horse funerals

Given that 1 in 7000 horses come out fighting and that you must attend the birth of a horse and have them see your face as the first thing when they open their eyes.

1040*7000= 7,280,000 horse births

~7.28 million horse births attended

• Like 4

Hold on. new information: 10 horses die per day.

3650 horse deaths per year

20*3650= 73000

1 in 7000 horses come out fighting

73000*7000=

511 million horse births witnessed

• Like 8

Hold on. new information: 10 horses die per day.

3650 horse deaths per year

20*3650= 73000

1 in 7000 horses come out fighting

73000*7000=

511 million horse births witnessed

Is that all?

• Like 2

I think these guys worked for that canceled HBO show, "Luck." I'd bet a fistful of bottlecaps on it.

• Like 1

I think Taran and Paul have killed it both times, but I really loved this episode in particular. To paraphrase Chelsea Peretti, the bit saturation in that room was crazy.

It wasn't like they were beating a de...oh, never mind

• Like 1

One of my absolute favorite running bits in the show -- which we actually haven't seen that much in a while -- is Scott's rigid insistence on continuity and internal logic in the bits. His insistence on doing the math on horse births and horse funerals in this one was unbelievable.

YES! Ben Schwartz does this also. It's just so hilarious to listen to them force people to stick to their improv. That's why the Ben/Horatio episodes are my favorite cause Horatio never sticks to bits and they just yell at him and I love it so much.

• Like 6

YES! Ben Schwartz does this also. It's just so hilarious to listen to them force people to stick to their improv. That's why the Ben/Horatio episodes are my favorite cause Horatio never sticks to bits and they just yell at him and I love it so much.

So does Jason Mantzoukas. It's such an easy way to play the game, but leads to some magnificent moments.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this