🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 80.5 — Minisode 80.5

Yeah, I use 1.5x which enables me to be an even bigger podnerd.

Music sounds weird as hell on 1.5x, I thought the same thing this morning, WTF.

I use it to watch some HDTGM movies. Like the Burlesque/After Earth/Back up Plan/Gigli level movies. Gets them out of the way quicker without missing anything like you would with fast forwarding.

Speaking of podnerding, do you have certain shows that you listen at regular speed, 1.5x and 2x speeds?

I listen to nearly everything at 1.5x, although I find technology-oriented podcasts can withstand 2.x, because nerds speak slower and generate less cross-talk than comedians.

I only listen to podcasts at 1x when I'm not wearing headphones and/or there's significant background noise. If you've only listened to a show's intro song (or Howard's chart themes) at 1.5x, hearing them at normal speed is really disorienting.

Fun fact: 1.5x is not really 1.5x and 2x is not really 2x.

Just wanted to let you guys know, Best Buy has one of those 4-film favorite collections with the first MK, Annihilation, the first Legacy web series, and (because this is the New Line catalog and they needed a fourth film) none other than SPAWN. You're welcome!

My theory: Paul, who admitted to being a comic book guy, learned everything he knows about human anatomy from Rob Liefeld. When I get home, I am SO posting some Liefeld shit...

My ankles hurt just thinking about it.

• Like 2

He probably meant to flip neck and leg around.

It's this kind of enabling that leaves him in a body dimorphic haze.

We recently double featured Street Fighter with Mortal Kombat, and I for one, am a little insulted that they are even doing this because comparatively, Mortal Kombat is a waaaaaaay better movie

And LOOK AT LIU KANG'S GORGEOUS FEATHERED MULLET

208tuep.jpg2ryfujm.jpg

wow. much glorious. so hair.

(true story: I was late to work this morning cause I was making those gifs and didn't even have time to post them)

• Like 6

OK, as long as we're deep-diving on technical audio issues...

I'm not crazy about speeding up comedy podcasts because I feel like it ruins the comedic rhythms and timing, but I've found something like 1.1x is fine, even if the time savings are pretty minimal. On my laptop, I just use Windows Media Player. For some reason, ONLY Earwolf podcasts have an annoying click whenever I speed them up. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, is there a good, free Android media player that has speed control?

• Like 1

Yeah, I still try to respect the comedic timing for some shows, and just generally respect the effort that shows put into making their shows. So for some it becomes a matter of dialing in the right pace. I really enjoy Stop Podcasting Yourself, but they have a slower way of speaking that I just have to speed up a bit.

I listen to regular HDTGM at normal speed, but the minisodes get the 1.5x treatment. Paul's solo delivery rate on the minisodes is more rapid, so speeding things up makes things even more snappy and enjoyable.

Open letter to all accounts discussing sped-up podcast listening:

I'm on to you, Howard Kremer. These multiple accounts don't fool me...

• Like 1

I don't understand listening at increased speed. I mean, I get it for a technical podcast or assigned reading for work or school or something, but for me, I'd rather actually hear the comedic or narrative flow at the intended pace. If listening to a certain number of podcasts necessitates me lessening the quality of the experience, then I'd rather listen to less podcasts, or at least change my listening habits.

I use it to watch some HDTGM movies. Like the Burlesque/After Earth/Back up Plan/Gigli level movies. Gets them out of the way quicker without missing anything like you would with fast forwarding.

Dude this is brilliant, thanks for the tip!! I was watching Mortal Kombat while I saw this... 1.5x will make the 102 min running time go a little faster.

I really have trouble getting through bad movies (even if they're getting the HDTGM treatment) if they're not a tight 90.

Oh, I definitely can see watching one of the more terrible-in-the-slow-painful-death-way WDTGM movies at a faster speed. There's no reason one needs to take in After Earth at its intended pace, unless he or she is in to some sort of emotional masochism. I just kind of skipped around.

Back to Mortal Kombat though, since this is definitely not one of THOSE movies. I mean, it's pretty terrible, but fun to actually watch. I fucking loved these games as a kid, far more than Street Fighter, but looking back on this movie with non-pre-teen eyes...good grief. Christopher Lambert plays what appears to be a "god" of Buddhist origin (what?!?!) and delivers his lines with the motivation of someone reading the fucking phone book while on a Quaalude bender. Meanwhile, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, the guy who played Shang Tsung, is committing a thousand percent in every frame he's in. It's nuts. This was all well and good when I was 12, especially since I could recite the Scorpion backstory backwards and forwards and experienced a significant mind explosion when I found out you could actually PLAY in the pit stage against Reptile if you were awesome enough, but even then I knew something was amiss.

I forgot how much CGI was in this movie. ,You're so right... Shang Tsung chews a lot of scenery in this one.

Also, what the hell was that ending???

• Like 1

i listen to this pastacast only at work and im a bad employee so i listen to this shit at 0.5x speed, fuck you jerry i am not doing your drawings today im busy as all hell for two hours listening to four people parse the plot of nothing but trouble

We recently double featured Street Fighter with Mortal Kombat, and I for one, am a little insulted that they are even doing this because comparatively, Mortal Kombat is a waaaaaaay better movie And LOOK AT LIU KANG'S GORGEOUS FEATHERED MULLET

208tuep.jpg

2ryfujm.jpg

wow. much glorious. so hair. (true story: I was late to work this morning cause I was making those gifs and didn't even have time to post them)

Some one had mentioned Rob Liefeld. Lui Kang looks like a Liefeld drawing.

11.jpg

• Like 1

This is a Paul WS Anderson movie that features Christopher Lambert. That right there instantly qualifies it as HDTGM material.

I forgot how much CGI was in this movie. Also, you're so right... Shang Tsung chews a lot of scenery in this one.

Also, what the hell was that ending???

Sequel set up...

Some one had mentioned Rob Liefeld. Lui Kang looks like a Liefeld drawing.

11.jpg

Dat crotch

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this