🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 80.5 — Minisode 80.5

Mortal Kombat Annihilation was the universe's way of restoring balance after I'd seen Boogie Nights that same day at the same theater, which went on to become my favorite movie of all time. Holy shit did Annihilation end the day on a bad, bad note.

Mortal Kombat Annihilation was the universe's way of restoring balance after I'd seen Boogie Nights that same day at the same theater, which went on to become my favorite movie of all time. Holy shit did Annihilation end the day on a bad, bad note.

I don't understand the decision making process that went into Mortal Kombat Annihilation? The first movie had been a big hit with decent CGI for the time. Why did the studio decide to spend LESS money on part two?

I don't understand the decision making process that went into Mortal Kombat Annihilation? The first movie had been a big hit with decent CGI for the time. Why did the studio decide to spend LESS money on part two?

While Paul WS Anderson's films generally aren't very good, they benefit greatly from having sequels not directed by him that are even WORSE, which kind of make his look a little better. About the only exception would be the last couple of Resident Evils, which he did direct after not having directed the second (a tie with Annihilation for worst movie I've seen in a theater) and third. The fifth one, Resident Evil: Whateverthefuck is some stupid, stupid shit.

Of course you remember it but can I still remind you of the beautiful 1992 song by 2 Unlimited, that the movie got it's main theme from? Of course I can:

• Like 2

Wait is your profile picture Kano????

Wow, I never realized the similarity. No, it's (perhaps not surprisingly) Kickpuncher, a fictional action movie hero from Community.

• Like 2

And speaking of MK theme (via wikipedia)

Mortal Kombat: The Album is an album by The Immortals (Maurice Engelen aka Praga Khan and Oliver Adams best known for their work on the Techno/Industrial band Lords of Acid), released in 1994 to accompany the home versions of the video game Mortal Kombat.

Lords of Acid are a great band if you want to get into 90's techno (possibly again). And the song has had numerous remixes, but possibly the most notable is Traci Lord's (yes, she of underage Penthouse fame) Control, which was produced by Juno Reactor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSijFOT4Y4Q

Also I highly recommend the movie soundtracks (note: George S Clinton is not the guy from Parliament) and I am very sad I don't have that cd anymore.

/edit: I hope the guest is Andrew Ti of Yo Is This Racist

• Like 1

Sorry for doubling, but I felt the need to make a separate post

First we get episodes on Super Mario Bros. and Street Fighter... and now Mortal Kombat? Awesome! Does that mean we might also get an episode on any of the shitty Resident Evil movies soon? Let's keep the awful video game -to- movie adaptations coming! :)

While Paul WS Anderson's films generally aren't very good, they benefit greatly from having sequels not directed by him that are even WORSE, which kind of make his look a little better. About the only exception would be the last couple of Resident Evils, which he did direct after not having directed the second (a tie with Annihilation for worst movie I've seen in a theater) and third. The fifth one, Resident Evil: Whateverthefuck is some stupid, stupid shit.

I really like the first RE movie as it was well constructed for a zombie film; first a mystery happens, then a pensive mood, it all goes to hell, and they have to fight their way out with consequences. It all has a very logical flow and works well by not following the game. Probably the only real down mark is the tacked on Alice in Wonderland references.

The second on the other hand is just a damn clunky mess that is mostly them strutting around spouting "bad ass" lines and looking pretty, a DBZ-level ridiculous fight breaks out, introducing a character with the same name as someone from the games but is in no way like them, rinse & repeat until a numetal song finishes off the film (if I remember correctly). I also dislike this film for turning Alice from a person acting in a story to bending it around her to become a Mary Sue and the rest of the series is her showing up all the characters from the games. Having them do this film would be great especially if Jason really knows the games and June had never seen it before. I bet she would even pull out another fastball like loving that Alice is so motherly to the small British girl. Or maybe they would all get hung up on the fight in the church.

• Like 2

THE Liefeld Captain America shot that everyone knows. Believe it or not, he'd been pro for at least a decade by this point...

cap.jpeg

That outfit that someone saw Paul wearing that one time. Very recent, and as generic as it gets...

TheInfiniteFullCoversImage.jpg

The many faces (and single facial expression) of Rob Liefeld...

lotsateeth.jpg

I...don't know what's happening...

18.jpg

9.jpg

20130630-133322.jpg

This is not a 30-year-old man, this is Franklin Richards, the young son of Reed and Sue. Aside from being shorter, kids are EXACTLY the same as adults, right? Rob Liefeld seems to think so. Is that really a foot?

onslaught12.jpg

• Like 4

It's important to emphasize how HUGE Mortal Kombat was at the time for anyone too young to remember. The closest modern equivalent would be Halo or Call of Duty but even those aren't as big as Mortal Kombat was. Everyone age 10-22 played it. It leaked all over pop culture (the song, the pogs, the comic books, news reports). It spurned Senator Joe Lieberman and hack lawyer Jack Thompson into launching a censor crusade. Mobs of people at arcades waiting to play. Before the internet, anyone who knew how to do the special moves was a god. Greasy dudes in black trench coats would often be selling printouts of the moves for $5 in arcades. Every gaming magazine that advertized Mortal Kombat moves on the cover quickly sold out, and half the time the moves turned out to be bogus!

• Like 1

God damn... Rob fucking Liefeld. His amateurish bullshit excuse for art/illustration still pisses me off. He fails on every level a comic book artists could conceivably fail at; it's not realistic, not aesthetically appealing, not titillating, not imaginative, not fantastical, Hell, it's not even good at being exploitive. It's worse than anything in this movie.

• Like 1

God damn... Rob fucking Liefeld. His amateurish bullshit excuse for art/illustration still pisses me off. He fails on every level a comic book artists could conceivably fail at; it's not realistic, not aesthetically appealing, not titillating, not imaginative, not fantastical, Hell, it's not even good at being exploitive. It's worse than anything in this movie.

tumblr_mjqstcH6Ga1r3mzajo2_500.png

THE Liefeld Captain America shot that everyone knows. Believe it or not, he'd been pro for at least a decade by this point...

cap.jpeg

ArnoldBestSideChest.jpg

• Like 3

First we get episodes on Super Mario Bros. and Street Fighter... and now Mortal Kombat? Awesome! Does that mean we might also get an episode on any of the shitty Resident Evil movies soon? Let's keep the awful video game -to- movie adaptations coming! :)

( If this is TOO unrelated I will post this in the Bad Movie Recommendations section of the forum if I'm asked to do so... )

Only the 1st "Resident Evil" movie is some what good... The others are, like Jason's favourite word... GARBAGE.

But IMHO The "Max Payne (2008)" movie with Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis is one of the worst (if not the worse) video game -to- movie adaptations EVER!!! Because they changed stuff that made it almost unwatchable for me...

I'll scratch the surface with what I really ticks me off about this movie...

*Acording to various entertainment outlets Mark didn't play the game (Some say that he wanted to create his own character others say that he did not want to get addicted to the game).

*The main illegal drug in the "Max Payne" game and movie is called "Valkyr" and the logo/tag for it is a letter "V" with a syringe that throughout the game and movie you can see in the walls as graffiti... In the movie they kept the logo but because of its PG-13 rating instead of injecting the drug they just drink it like gatorade...

VALKYR.jpeg

*They changed the gender of Max's child from a baby girl to a baby boy ( I thought that in the game Max had a more "daddy's little baby girl" relationship and I liked that ).

*For a movie based on a game that is built around the "Bullet-Time Mechanic" I only counted 3 or 4 sequences where they used it in the whole movie.

*In the first 2 games New York is the setting where the story takes place, but they filmed the movie in Canada (OK ok thats nitpicking but still...).

*In the game the character Mona Sax has a twin sister Lisa Sax ( "Mona Lisa" get it??? ) but i the movie they are NOT twins and the sister is not named Lisa.

*In the game Max is an Undercover DEA cop/agent, In the movie he is a detective in the cold case division (BO-RING!).

I can only dream of the day they make an episode of that movie...

• Like 1

ArnoldBestSideChest.jpg

So there it is, the genesis of Rob Liefeld's technique. He's based every drawing of every human being on a physique and pose that only looks natural on Arnold Schwarzenegger in 1970. Well. Done. Sir.

So there it is, the genesis of Rob Liefeld's technique. He's based every drawing of every human being on a physique and pose that only looks natural on Arnold Schwarzenegger in 1970. Well. Done. Sir.

I remember reading about Rob Liefeld not having any original drawings. He copies from pictures and other artists. I understand that inspiration can come from photos or artists. Or you can use references but you can't base your entire career on it. There are a couple of artists in the 90's whom have based the look of the Hulk on Arnold but they were not straight up copying from pictures (or not doing it as often). The 90's Marvel Artists Rob Liefeld, Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, etc... got too cocky. They kept on missing deadlines because they were not working as hard as they should be. Or they were not working at all. Liefeld had been known to admit that he drew during his drive into work, in order to meet deadlines.

Hmm...

HDTGTIRL

(How Did This Get Turned Into Rob Liefeld)

I remember reading about Rob Liefeld not having any original drawings. He copies from pictures and other artists. I understand that inspiration can come from photos or artists. Or you can use references but you can't base your entire career on it. There are a couple of artists in the 90's whom have based the look of the Hulk on Arnold but they were not straight up copying from pictures (or not doing it as often). The 90's Marvel Artists Rob Liefeld, Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, etc... got too cocky. They kept on missing deadlines because they were not working as hard as they should be. Or they were not working at all. Liefeld had been known to admit that he drew during his drive into work, in order to meet deadlines.

Hmm...

HDTGTIRL

Some of those guys were great when they were working FOR someone and had deadlines and editors and stuff. It's when they became their own bosses and started doing their own projects (some better than others) that they really got exposed as either being hacks, lazy, or shitty storytellers when it came to their original creations. Jim Lee's still pretty awesome when he's motivated and actually works ahead a bit, like his runs on Batman and Superman, but then he did a re-launch of WildCATs that he did exactly ONE issue of. I don't know whose fault it is that All-Star Batman and Robin never came out on a regular basis, as Frank Miller's a bit of a flake, but Lee's work for that was pretty good as well, and he's a decent VISUAL storyteller on his own, which can't be said for Liefeld. Some of his proteges do some really good work though. Mike Deodato Jr. started his career as a Liefeld clone, but then developed his own style and a solid work ethic, and now I can recommend just about anything he does. Oh jeez, that kind of made me wonder what the hell ever happened to Stephen Platt. Anyone else that read comics in the 90's remember THAT guy?

• Like 1

HDTGTIRL

This isn't bad compared to the thread for what I think was the "Stop, or My Mom Will Shoot" episode, which turned into like a seven page discussion of Woody Allen movies.

• Like 1

This isn't bad compared to the thread for what I think was the "Stop, or My Mom Will Shoot" episode, which turned into like a seven page discussion of Woody Allen movies.

Deviation in mini-sode threads are A-OK with me. Gives me a reason to come around more often.

• Like 1

Continuing the Liefeld sucks train, here's a terrible single panel sub-Ziggy level comic he drew, proving that he's at least as bad a writer as he is an artist. It also sort of ties into Jack Frost, so there's that.

shrink4.jpg

• Like 5

Continuing the Liefeld sucks train, here's a terrible single panel sub-Ziggy level comic he drew, proving that he's at least as bad a writer as he is an artist. It also sort of ties into Jack Frost, so there's that.

shrink4.jpg

This makes ZIggy look like War & Peace. This is some Family Circus-level shit here. Jesus, he can't even draw what's supposed to be a NORMAL person sitting in a chair. To his credit though, it looks like he spent more time on the background than in anything else he's ever done.

• Like 2

Dear Rob,

There is a reason that formal artist training includes figure drawing classes.

-Humans have feet to support them and do not walk on stilts.

-Women's femurs do not attach directly to the spine. There is stuff between.

-Women have internal organs. Some of them are located in the abdomen and take up space!

-Women's shoulders do not extend 2 feet beyond their outer thighs, even with the most ridiculous 80s shoulder pads.

-Not even the buffest bodybuilder has 24 pack abs.

-Finally on abs, nobody has thighs twice as thick as their abdomen, let alone forearms. Nobody.

The encyclopedia of everything wrong with Liefeld: the 40 worst Liefeld drawings part 1 and 2

http://www.progressi...iefeld-drawings

http://www.progressi...iefeld-drawings

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this