🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Joven

Futuresport (1998)

ued7.jpg

Ok, the basic premise;

Its the dystopian future (of course it is, Chelsea Clinton is president.)

Dean Cain is the most popular person IN THE WORLD (how do we know? Because everyone has a popularity index, like an ebay power selling rating or something, and his is the biggest, and a good 40% of the movie is filled with lines of people bitching about their popularity index number.)

Why? Because he plays a game called Future Sport (duh)...which is basically Quidditch on the hoverboards from BttF2, inside a smallish half-pipe arena.

Theres a war going on between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans or something, and theres terrorists, and they are after Dean Cain because he's...umm...he's...oh who the crap knows

And Wesley Snipes is in it (it says "Special Guest Wesley Snipes", but he's in like half the scenes in the movie) oh, and he has dreads and a crazy stupid accent.

Its basically The Mighty Ducks meets Running Man. So, watch this movie and RIDE THE LIGHTNING!

• Like 2

And Wesley Snipes is in it (it says "Special Guest Wesley Snipes", but he's in like half the scenes in the movie) oh, and he has dreads and a crazy stupid accent.

I remember this being one of the first movies that I saw on a Blockbuster shelf or on cable or whatever where I though "But that's Wesley fuckin' Snipes! How was he in something that never made it into theaters?". We were so naive and easily confused back in the 20th century...

Please review the 1998 sci-fi thriller Futuresport. If you do I will have a permanent boner.

One thing I remember about this was that the game became popular when the NBA (or equivalent) collapsed, but that seems so stupid to me because they're using straight up baseball pitches and nothing gets dunked.

Also the Rollerball remake fells more like a rip off of this (yeah I went there)

I DVRed this movie because of the description. I didn't know that this future sport would actually be called "Future Sport". Even when it's been played for several years? Doesn't change to Present or Current Sport? Terrorists from Hawaii are fighting for liberation. Somehow, Dean Cain gets the authority to settle the issue on a game of Future Sport.

I would like to see some Israeli guy overrule everyone and decide that the Palestinian territory will be decided by a Parkour competition.

• Like 1

I DVRed this movie because of the description. I didn't know that this future sport would actually be called "Future Sport". Even when it's been played for several years? Doesn't change to Present or Current Sport? Terrorists from Hawaii are fighting for liberation. Somehow, Dean Cain gets the authority to settle the issue on a game of Future Sport.

I would like to see some Israeli guy overrule everyone and decide that the Palestinian territory will be decided by a Parkour competition.

I would go "Modern Sport" or just "Sport".

I signed up to this forum just to mention this film for HDTGM to do a podcast but it's already had a mention. Well done.

As a kid I thought this film was fantastic but I had seen it recently for the first time since I was a teenager and wow, it is horrible lol.

Note: As a kid I always thought Escape from LA was great too...lol

Dean Cain is the most popular person IN THE WORLD (how do we know? Because everyone has a popularity index, like an ebay power selling rating or something, and his is the biggest, and a good 40% of the movie is filled with lines of people bitching about their popularity index number.)

You have to admit; the popularity index thing is pretty prescient! Even though it wasn't explored in as nuanced a way as the Black Mirror episode did, it was still a concept ahead of its time.

There's something so fundamentally trivial about sports that makes people have a complete lack of imagination when making one up. Like, "yeah, it's rugby or something, but on skates, in the future -- ahh, fuck it". Back when the first Harry Potter books were coming out in the US, I couldn't even believe how much of the book's real estate was devoted to something JK Rowling had clearly overestimated reader interest in.

Futuresport though, they could do a whole episode just on Wesley Snipes' performance.

Stumbled upon this on IMDB. The director of this, Ernest R. Dickerson, wrote and directed Juice (1992) with Tupac (RIP). Which was his first and only good movie.

His only other notable work is that he directed Bones (2001) with Snoop Dogg and Never Die Alone (2004) with DMX.

Sign in to follow this